Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:16 p.m. by FA President, Patrick Plumlee.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES –March 3, 2011 (2 minutes)
    A motion was made to approve the minutes by Kathy Robinson.  The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    Barbara Tuck from the Library spoke about the new membership in the Center for Research Libraries. There was a handout that was distributed highlighting some of the benefits of the new membership.

    Diane Tanner reported that at the March 25 meeting the Parking Advisory Council voted that students be required to purchase parking permit decals beginning with the 2011-2012 academic year.  Faculty and staff will continue to purchase hanging permits (or an optional decal if they choose).  The change in student decals is an effort to reduce the number of stolen permits from student vehicles, many of which get left unlocked.  This change must still be approved by VP Shari Shuman.

    The May Faculty Association meeting will be canceled for this year due to the Summer Term not starting until the third week of May.

    The 2011-2012 FA Meeting Schedule, 2011-2012 APC Schedule, and the Spring Term Exam Schedule are included in the agenda packet.  These items are also available on the FA website.

    Online elections for the 2011 Distinguished Professor Award and 2011-2013 Standing and University Committees kicked off Monday April 4th at 9 a.m. and will continue through Friday April 8th at 1:30 p.m. The final nominations and the charges for each of the standing committees may be viewed on the Faculty Association website.  It was acknowledged that there was a glitch with the initial setup of the ballot but to correct it would have required a restart of the election; therefore, the election was allowed to continue and this issue will be addressed next year.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee - Candice Carter
    The Committee met April 7th. They have 7 agenda items for today’s meeting.

    Academic Standards Committee - Diane Tanner
    The Committee met March 28th and April 4th. They will schedule their May meeting once they receive the other committee members’ schedules. They have two agenda items and one information item today. The agenda items include proposed changes to the policies for Grade Forgiveness & Repeated Courses and Term Forgiveness. The information item is a summary of the new Federal Government requirement for financial aid.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee –Ronald Lukens-Bull

    The Committee met virtually in March to discuss issues with adjunct pay. They will prepare a report at a later time. They have one agenda item which is the second reading of the Faculty Association Bylaws Amendment of the Committee’s Charge.

    Budget Advisory Committee – Kathy Robinson for Lynn Jones
    The Committee met on April 6th. They intend to meet virtually over the summer and in August turn over to the new committee. They have two information items today. The first item is a summary of their budget-to-actual analysis in summer 2010 which includes the renaming of the Adjunct Faculty Overload account. The second item is a detailed overview of the entire budgetary process at UNF.

    Campus Technology Committee - Cynthia Jordan
    The Committee met March 9th and developed some questions for the Executive Committee which have already been addressed. Cynthia will report on these at their next meeting: April 13th at 11:30a.m.-1:00p.m. in 12/2405.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Patrick Plumlee for Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee did not meet in March and the next meeting is April 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM in the Leadership, School Counseling, and Sport Management (Bldg 57, Room 3201).

    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Rusty Smith
    The Committee attempted to meet March 24 but did not achieve quorum. The next meeting will be April 21st at noon. They have an information item reporting the demographics of the Summer Development Grants from 2010 & 2011.

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Lian An
    The Committee has two information items which includes the vitae for the 2011 Distinguished Professor Award finalists and a summary document showing all of the nominees for the online elections currently taking place. With this election being the pilot for the online balloting system, they acknowledge that there are some glitches that they intend to address and improve upon next year. If you have any suggestions for the online balloting system, feel free to email Lian at n00605626@unf.edu. They will be scheduling another meeting within the next few weeks.

    Research Committee - James Churilla for Caroline Guardino
    The Committee did not meet in March. Their next meeting will be April 22nd from 10:00-11:30 a.m. in 57/3510 and have invited Marianne Jaffee to attend.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Michael Kucsak/Chris Brown
    The Committee attempted to meet at the end of March but did not achieve quorum. They did begin a discussion about the 10 year Campus Master Plan. They have invited Zak Ovadia to attend their next meeting on April 19th or 20th to talk more about the Campus Master Plan and the proposed PECO funds for building projects and developments over the next 3-5 years.

    Support Services Committee – Susan Syverud
    The Committee met April 6th and had Bruce Turner from ACE come to speak about upcoming changes in their Center including a plan to increase the number of tutoring coordinators and to add night peer tutoring. They have an information item concerning a summary document that Kristine Webb compiled on the statistics from the Disabilities Resource Center.

    Executive Committee – Jeffrey Harrison
    The Committee met March 22nd to set the agenda for today. No committee meeting in April due to no Faculty Association meeting in May. The next EC meeting will be May 17th. The Committee has two agenda items for today. The first is the second reading of the FA Bylaws Amendment concerning a consent agenda. The second is a proposed amendment to the UNF Constitution which proposes adding similar language already in the Constitution for Chairs and Deans with regards to a term for the Provost.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President John Delaney
    One comment about the proposed Constitutional Amendment for a term limit and retention vote of the Provost is that it is very troubling and is concerned that it is a restriction on the Presidential authority to appoint such senior positions. Furthermore, it would have a negative impact on recruiting in the future. He would like to have an open dialogue to address the underlying concerns about this item and perhaps discuss alternative routes to have the same kind of impact without going through Constitutional changes.

    The most immediate concern in the state budget is what they are doing with the pension plan contributions. Several plans are circulating including a 3% contribution or a proposal for a tiered contribution depending on the salary levels.

    If the Senate’s version of the budget goes through, it is essentially a freeze or a very slight cut and it appears that all systems are a go including the ability to finalize all of the ongoing searches. Obviously things can change. The BOG may be approving a 15% tuition increase which raises about $4 million dollars, which significantly helps.

    Judy Solano expressed a concern about the PECO budget that would perhaps not allow the completion of several construction projects (i.e. Biology Building). President Delaney indicated that the funds for building currently under construction are secure. However, building projects like the 4th floor Faculty Commons in the new proposed dining facility could be potentially impacted, but still thinks we will be okay. There is currently a move in the Senate to bond some money for construction dollars.

    A faculty member asked for clarification of the language on the proposed pension plan contributions with regards to faculty who are not currently in the pension plan program but are using similar retirement programs. President Delaney indicated that it appears that their contribution matches would be lowered by 3%. However, the proposed plans are changing daily. Janet will continue to send out emails to update us on this situation.

    A COAS faculty member (Marnie Jones) expressed concern about UNF being “comfortable” with the budget when there are holes in the fall schedule that would prevent all of the enrollment targets from being met. President Delaney indicated that they were initially looking at a 15% budget cut. What is proposed now is roughly the same budget as last year, just slightly worse. Higher education is being impacted far less than any other aspect of state government with such a major recession going on Florida. Hopefully by the end of next week, there should be some tentative budget numbers.

    Academic Affairs Provost & Vice President Mark Workman

    Provost Workman was attending the First Generation Scholarship Luncheon, so Patrick Plumlee read the Provost’s Promotion & Tenure report and all of the associated statistics. Provost Workman sent a follow-up email to Patrick, which he read, explaining the slight difference between the Provost’s recommendations and that of the Promotion & Tenure Committee with respect to the Promotion and Tenure to Associate Professor for several candidates.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen

    Janet was not in attendance as she is in Tallahassee for the current Legislative Session.


    United Faculty of Florida - Dale Casamatta

    Dale introduced himself as the new UFF president who is taking over for retiring Henry Thomas. With the potential looming of the union decertification, UFF intends to continue their pointed efforts towards increasing union awareness and increasing union membership. Dale and other UFF members will be in attendance at Henry Thomas’s “Last Lecture” on April 8th and will be available to talk with faculty afterwards. Additionally, UFF will be hosting a luncheon on April 15th and are encouraging faculty to come participate and learn more about the union and its benefits.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    Judy Solano to Dale Casamatta: Has the Legislature redrafted the decertification bill with respect to union representation because the original bill published was worded in such a way that there was no possible way to decertify the union?
    Dale: There are several versions that are out, so at this point no one knows which one will be the final version.

    Judy Solano to the Nominations & Election Committee: Can future online ballots be designed to also include the department and the rank of the candidate to provide additional information for those who are voting?
    This question will be submitted in writing to Lian An.

    Ronald-Lukens Bull to President Delaney on the drastic budget cuts of K-12:
    What are the BOG and/or other University Presidents doing to weigh in on the issue of the K-12 budget cuts in regards to the fact that our future students will be coming from such a crippled educational system?
    President Delaney: With regards to K-12 and Higher Ed, there is a commonality of approach in the importance of education. Because UNF has become more selective, we are always going to be able to find the top. The Jacksonville Commitment program is one where the four local institutions provide full scholarships to students below the poverty line. A key component would be for the school system to have college advisors in the high schools and even in the middle schools to find college capable kids and do what it takes to get them through the pipeline. In the last three years, we have hired eighteen college advisors in which the school system has only paid for one. There really isn’t much college advising going on which illustrates the depth of the problem.

    Peter Magyari to Dale Casamatta: If the union is decertified, who then would represent the faculty?
    Dale: There is no clear cut answer right now not knowing which bill is going to pass.
    Comment from President Delaney: I don’t think a union decertification is going through this year. There are different variations on this from state to state. They may still allow a union to negotiate just salaries or they may have no collective bargaining at all. There is still the job protection of tenure and the anti-discrimination policies. They are going to have difficulties getting rid of unions in higher education because it is going to cause a number of problems with faculty recruiting.
    Comment from Judy Solano: The current contract indicates that the faculty senates and associations can’t deal with terms and conditions of employment, but if the union were to go away then there would be an increased likelihood that the faculty associations would become more involved with those types of issues.
    Comment from John Delaney: You would not want that with salary. You would want it like the regular corporate world where management makes those kinds of decisions but obviously there would have to be cooperation as part of the shared governance.
    Comment from James Garner: At my previous institution we had a branch of AAUP that did many of those types of functions.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)
    Judy Solano made a motion to reorder the agenda by moving the APC agenda items (#4-#10) to the top of the agenda. The motion was approved

    Agenda Item# 1- FA 11-16: Submitted by the Executive Committee
    Second Reading: Faculty Association Bylaws Amendment of Conduct of Business -ARTICLE V

    Jeff moved the item and explained the item with regards to a consent agenda for noncontroversial items such as APC items. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item # 2-FA 11-21: Submitted by the Adjunct Affairs Committee
    Second Reading: Faculty Association Bylaws Amendment

    Ronald moved the item. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item # 3-FA 11-23: Submitted by the Executive Committee
    Proposed amendment to the UNF Constitution
    Jeff moved the item. Jeff read the proposed amendment. There was a lengthy discussion that ensued with a number of faculty speaking out both for and against this constitutional amendment. Ronald Lukens-Bull made a motion to return this proposed amendment to the committee in light of the seriousness of this proposed change. Candice seconded this motion, arguing particularly that since the vote was divided at the Executive Committee the proposal should be discussed further. Scott Hochwald does not want to see this item voted on during the summer, and doesn’t want new faculty being exposed to it in September, and so made a friendly amendment to the motion on the floor, that this item would not come back to the faculty body until October. The motion passed. The item will be returned to the Executive Committee for further consideration, and possible resubmission in some form at the October, 2011 Faculty Association meeting

    Agenda Item # 4-FA 11-24: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Arts & Sciences (Undergraduate) – (Communication, COAS, English, History, & Languages, Literature, & Culture): New Courses, Course Changes, & Programs of Study
    (6 packages)
    Candice moved the item. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item # 5-FA 11-25: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Coggin College of Business (Undergraduate)
    - (Marketing & Logistics): Programs of Study
    (1 package)
    Candice moved the item. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item # 6-FA 11-26: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Coggin College of Business (Graduate):
    (Accounting & Finance): New Course (1 package)
    Candice moved the item. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item # 7-FA 11-27: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee 2011-2012
    College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction (Undergraduate) -

    (School of Computing):Course Change (1 package)
    Candice moved the item.  No discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item # 8-FA 11-28: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction (Graduate) ) –

    (School of Engineering/Civil):  New Course, Course Change, & Program of Study (3 packages)
    Candice moved the item.  No discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item # 9-FA 11-29:Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Education & Human Services  (Graduate)
    – (Childhood Education):  New Courses & Program of Study (1 package)
    Candice moved the item.  No discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item # 10-FA 11-30: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Brooks College of Health (Graduate)
    – (Public Health): Courses Changes & Program of Study (1 package)
    Candice moved the item.  No discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item #11-FA 11-31: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    Grade Forgiveness and Repeated Courses

    Diane moved the item.  There was discussion as to what is really being changed. There was a friendly amendment to replace the word “Dean” with the “Chair of the Department or an appropriate designee”. The item passed.

    Agenda Item #12-FA 11-32: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    Term Forgiveness

    Diane moved the item.  There was discussion to clarify that the registrar’s office would actually verify the information on the form. It was determined this would be the case. The item passed.
  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    1. Vitae Summaries of 2 Finalists for 2011 Distinguished Professor Award
    2. Faculty Association Standing and University Committees & DP Online Elections
    3. Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
    4. “Adjunct Faculty Overload” Renamed
    5. The Budget Process
    6. Guidelines for the Final Summary Report Research Grants
    7. Teaching Grant Statistics 2010-2011
  • ADJOURNMENT
    A motion for adjournment was made by Judy Solano. Meeting adjourned at 1:25 p.m.