Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order by Patrick Plumlee at 12:17 p.m.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – January 6, 2011 (2 minutes)
    A motion to approve the January 6 minutes was made by Katherine Brown. The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    Colleges and faculty members are being solicited to put forward nominations for the upcoming FA Standing Committee and University Committee vacancies (terms beginning Fall 2011). Nominations may be sent to any of the Nomination & Election committee members, Cindy Chin or Patrick Plumlee. Nominations will also be accepted from the floor at the March FA meeting.  A list of the upcoming vacancies is available on the FA website through the Hotline page.

    APC Program Changes deadline is 2/15/2011 for the Academic Year 2010-2011.

    Per Jeff Michelman, UNF Safety Council Chair, responses to the Non- Motorized Vehicle Campus Safety Survey (distributed via email) would be greatly appreciated.  Your responses will be anonymous and will be helpful in examining the appropriateness of both current and future regulations to help maintain a safe environment for both users and non-users across the campus. 

  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee - Candice Carter
    The Committee has an information item which is an update of the new editing feature and enhancements for the APC Workflow System. They have 7 agenda items for today’s meeting.

    Academic Standards Committee - Diane Tanner
    The Committee met on January 10 and has 3 agenda items for today’s meeting. Upcoming agenda items will include baccalaureate degree requirements, grade and term forgiveness policies, and readmission policy. The next meeting is February 7 at 3:30 p.m. in 42/2004.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee –Ronald Lukens-Bull
    The Committee met on January 21 with the Provost to discuss the bylaws charge for the committee in regards to the adjunct grievance process. It was determined that the charge is incongruent with the actual processes of the committee. They will be bringing to the floor a change to the charge that reflects the actual process of the committee modifying it from a review role to an advisory role. They are currently accepting comments and concerns from faculty.  The next meeting will be February 18 at 1:00 p.m. location TBA.

    Budget Advisory Committee – Lynn Jones
    The Committee met February 2. They will be having a special meeting next Tuesday, 2/8 with former UFF president Cheryl Frohlich to discuss the salary file.  The committee plans to perform a separate analysis of the data.  Any specific requests for stats related to this file may be forwarded to Lynn or any of the other committee members.
    The information items they have been working on related to the budgetary process are currently being amended by Scott Bennet and should be ready soon. The committee has received the last bit of information on the open item related to the Adjunct Faculty account and should be forthcoming in April.
    Lastly, they have an information item going before the next Executive Committee meeting related to the Banner HR system. There is an existing employee review module currently used by USPS and A& P that the committee feels could be used to capture faculty evaluative data for future use. The next meeting is Wednesday March 2nd at 1:30 p.m. in the FAMR.

    Campus Technology Committee - Cynthia Jordan
    The Committee met on January 12. They have requested from ITS instruction on how to access the Exchange Server with remote devices using Microsoft Office 2010 to address several reported problems. Their next meeting is February 9th at noon in 12/2405.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee met on January 13 and discussed the results of the recent Campus Climate Survey. They considered a request to make changes to the time block scheduling of classes and have opted to forward that on to the next chain of command. They are continuing their review of alternate faculty governance structures.  The next meeting is February 10 at 12:15 p.m. 57/3201.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Rusty Smith
    The Committee met January 20 and reviewed the Teaching Grants process as well as a plan for a Faculty Fellows program. The next meeting is February 17 at noon in the OFE Library.

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Diane Tanner for Lian An
    The committee met January 28 and has an information item about the solicitation of nominations for the upcoming FA Standing Committee and University Committee vacancies. They have also included a description of each of the committee’s charges.

    Research Committee - Caroline Guardino
    The Committee met January 26 where they have finalized the agenda items for the rest of the semester. The next meeting will be February 25 at 10:30 a.m. in 57/3510.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Chris Brown
    The Committee met on January 26 where they hosted John Yancy from Admissions to learn more about the admissions process and the profile of our incoming students. One stat is that incoming freshman last year had an average GPA of 3.73 and SAT score of 1202 while for this upcoming year the average SAT score will probably be 1241. The next meeting should be on or around February 23.

    Support Services Committee – Susan Syverud
    As an information item, the committee presented the finalized summary document of faculty grant opportunities prepared by Marianne Jaffee. They met yesterday with Lieutenant Tammy Oliver who highlighted 3 programs from UPD including the Building Option, Active Shooter and the SOS team. Their next meeting is March 2 at 1:00 p.m. in 57/3510.

    Executive Committee – Jeffrey Harrison

    The Committee met January 18 to set the agenda for this meeting. There is an information item with the data from the Campus Climate Survey that Kathy Robinson commented about. Jeffrey Harrison complimented two organizations that scored very well in the survey: CIRT and Office of Faculty Enhancement. The next meeting is February 15 at 12:15 p.m.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President John Delaney
    An email was sent out to faculty yesterday regarding the reorganization of Academic Affairs. In Tallahassee, there is concern over a bill to allow for students to carry guns.
    The Governor will be presenting his state budget next Tuesday.  Even if there are significant cuts, UNF has reserved a fairly significant amount of money and should be ok into next year.

    Academic Affairs Provost & Vice President Mark Workman
    No report.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    The Governor’s budget recommendation will be coming out February 7. In his proposal, state employees will have to contribute 5% to retirement and the 3% cost of living adjustment for new hires and DROP may all be eliminated.
    Next Thursday, the Budget & Finance committee of the BOG will be meeting at UCF where they will be implementing their new authority to approve new fee or market rate proposals from the Universities. This includes 2 Green Fee proposals, 2 Student Life & Service Fee proposals (one of these from UNF), and 4 market rate tuition proposals for certain programs.

    United Faculty of Florida – Henry Thomas
    UFF has heard from Unions in both Tennessee and Alabama that there is legislature to eliminate payroll dues deduction for unions. They fear this will appear in Florida too. 
    There will be significant reductions in retirement, health, and life insurance benefits.
    At the K-12 level there are substantial efforts to weaken tenure. It is possible this could appear at the University level.
    This is a potentially dangerous legislative session ahead and UFF is making a very pointed effort statewide to increase its membership.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    Anonymous questions to John Delaney:

    There are a large number of anonymous written questions that are pointed and quite lengthy. Patrick presented some of the abbreviated versions of the questions for President Delaney including topics on the:
    1. Release of data from the IDEA survey for the evaluation of the Provost
    2. Steps towards establishing more effective leadership at UNF
    3. Term limits for upper administrators
    The extended versions of these questions and ultimately the written responses will be posted on the FA website at the following link:
    http://www.unf.edu/groups/unffa/CurrentAgendaPack/Questions_and_Responses/Response.html
    Comment from John Delaney on the questions: Faculty that have concerns over Academic Affairs, Mark and I hear you. We hope to be able to work that out with you, the Faculty Association leadership, and UFF. We want to get along and make sure that we are doing everything we can to support you. Obviously, it is your prerogative to proceed with some form of a No Confidence vote. I don’t know how healthy that will be for the University and for the news media coverage of the University, so I would like to continue dialogues on that if we can but it is your prerogative to send whatever signal that you feel that you need to do.  I’ve spent the last month talking to a lot of people and there are people with widely varied points of view but we are here to support, to try to facilitate, and to try to make this a better University. I will respond in writing to all the questions.

    Anonymous question for FA Parliamentarian:
    What is the process for bringing a vote of no confidence in the Provost?
    Response (Summary) from Judy Solano: The FA does not have a current policy in place for a process for addressing a No Confidence vote.  If someone is interested in having the Faculty Association initiate a No Confidence vote, per our bylaws, the best approach would be to draft an item requesting a vote be initiated, provide some specificity like what question to be asked, when the vote be held, how to submit the results, etc. and submit it to the chair of the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee would then place the item on the agenda where it could be debated and acted upon at a meeting. If voted up then it would go forward, if not then it would not proceed any further.  I will post the detailed answer on the FA website.

    Question from Judy Solano to Rusty Smith and Faculty Enhancement Committee:
    Can you provide the same type of data that the Research Committee has provided about the results of the selection process for recipients of the teaching grants?
    Response from Rusty Smith:  Yes

    Question from Kathy Robinson about a safety issue:
    Now that the construction fences are up by Building 50/51 there is a blind corner when pulling out of that parking lot.  I’ve seen some people use mirrors and some have slow down here signs but this is an accident waiting to happen because of the black fence.
    Response from John Delaney: I spoke to Shari Shuman about this awhile ago. The construction company did pull the fence back a bit but it is still tough. I had a problem with it the other day. The mirror is probably a good idea.
    Response from Ellie Scheirer: As a member of the Safety Advisory Council this is an issue we have already considered and one idea that we had was to replace the fencing plastics with something that is clear that you can see through it. I don’t know if they have anything like this but there are several places on campus where this is certainly a problem.

    Question from David Courtwright to Janet Owen:
    In 2007 Legislature passed a law permitting members of the ORP to buy into the FRS and some of us did using our own money. I think it is fair to say that some of us are alarmed by what may happen to the FRS.  I have two questions: Would you keep us informed of what is in the pension legislation even if you are not here?
    Janet Owen: Yes.
    As our lobbyist would you raise this issue with the legislators and point out that if we change it that there ought to be a “buy out” provision to give us our money back with interest?
    Response from John Delaney:  I share a commonality of interest on that and have done a lot a reading about it on behalf of all those working on campus. I don’t think they will be taking away anything that we have already earned. The question is will we have to contribute more to it in the future and will we accumulate a different percentage than what we have historically?  I think if you are already in DROP you will be able to stay in DROP.  Some of these will be vested rights. With right around 350,000 state employees they all have the same concerns and are giving the legislators an earful on that particular issue.

    Question from Cynthia Jordan to Janet Owen:
    Will you please watch House Bill 303, Line 147 specifically states that they want to end DROP by 2012 even if you are in it?
    Response from Janet Owen: I am tracking those bills. The idea on 303 is that with Merit Teacher pay and other things that affect a lot of state employees that they wouldn’t be able to do both. To add to that, every Friday or over the weekends during session I’ve got a Tallahassee Update that I am sending to Deans and Directors. If you want to be on the list, just send me an email. You can rest assured that all eleven Universities are working together on this issue.
    Comment from John Delaney: There would be a lawsuit if they do that. I’m sure the Unions are going to be involved as well. I don’t think believe that they can take that away if you are in it but we will see.


    Patrick Plumlee to Janet Owen:

    With the issue of student guns on campus, I wonder if this bill might actually have a chance for passage and if it does, what will we do about it?
    Response from Janet Owen: The lobbyists are carefully following that. We have reached out to the leadership in the Senate about bottling that up. It may be that they let it have a hearing and its first committee stop and it passes but then it gets bottled up.  In the past these bills had been about the employers and their employees bringing in guns. This time it is the Colleges and Universities that are having their prohibition taken away. There are some things in the works (i.e. having Virginia Tech shooting survivor victims come to testify).  All of our police chiefs are being kept up to date and have already lined up with the Sheriff’s Association statewide and the Florida Police Chiefs.

    Question from Lisa Jamba to Janet Owen:

    Is there a way that even if this does happen at the state level that an institution can implement policy?
    Response from Janet Owen:  There used to be but there is another bill that has been filed at the same time stating that no other entity other than the state legislature can regulate firearms in any way.  So we are watching both of these.

    Question from Ellie Scheirer to Janet Owen:
    Is anyone working on clearing up the misinformation being sent out about the FRS being in trouble which as far as I know is blatantly not true?
    Response from Janet Owen:  Yes. Bill Cotterell, a writer with the Tallahassee Democrat, has written a fantastic article with data about all the quotes and sound bytes and what is real in the state of Florida. I will send that out to anyone who wants it. This is a great talking sheet for the lobbyists.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)
    Agenda Item# 1- FA 11-06: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Arts and Sciences (Undergraduate):  (Biology, English, Languages, Literatures & Culture, Philosophy & Religious Studies & Physics):
    New Courses, Course Changes, & Programs of Study (5 packets)
    The item was moved by Candice Carter. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 2- FA 11-07: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

    College of Arts and Sciences (Graduate):  (Biology, Philosophy & Religious   Studies):  NewCourses, Course Changes, & Programs of Study (3 packets)
    The item was moved by Candice Carter. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 3- FA 11-08: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Coggin College of Business (Undergraduate):  (Economics & Geography, Management, and Marketing & Logistics): Course Changes, & Programs of Study (4 packets)
    The item was moved by Candice Carter. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 4- FA 11-09: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Coggin College of Business (Graduate): (Accounting & Finance): Course Changes (1packet)
    The item was moved by Candice Carter. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 5- FA 11-10: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Education & Human Services (Undergraduate): (Leadership, School Counseling & Sport Management): Course Changes (1 packet)
    The item was moved by Candice Carter. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 6- FA 11-11: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Brooks College of Health (Undergraduate): (Public Health): New Course & Programs of Study (1packet)
    The item was moved by Candice Carter. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 7- FA 11-12: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Brooks College of Health (Graduate): (Public Health): Programs of Study (1 packet)
    The item was moved by Candice Carter. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 8- FA 11-13: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    Proposed Undergraduate catalog definitions of GPA
    The item was moved by Diane Tanner. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 9- FA 11-14: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    Proposed change to Double Degrees and Majors policy
    The item was moved by Diane Tanner. No discussion. The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 10- FA 11-15: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee

    Academic Standing
    There was a friendly amendment (, and/or departmental committee designated by the Department and College in which the student was enrolled at the time he or she was suspended.) which was distributed to everyone.
    The item was moved by Diane Tanner. No discussion. The item passed.
  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    i. Faculty Association Standing and University Committees
    ii. Funding Opportunities for Faculty

    iii.UNF Campus Climate Survey (Faculty Association) Administered Spring 2010  
    (Jeff Harrison commented on some interesting trends.)
    iv. Report of Faculty Association Research Committee on Research Grant Recommendations Funding 2007 to 2010
  • ADJOURNMENT
    Judy Solano made a motion to adjourn.  Meeting was adjourned at 1:08 p.m