Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, March 4, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:15 pm by Kathy Robinson.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – February 4, 2010 (2 minutes)
    A motion to approve the minutes was made. The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    Joanne Campbell was welcomed back.

    Nominations for Secretary for the Faculty Association Officers will be taken from the floor today.

    The master plan consultants will be on campus on March 9th at 12:30 to 1:30 pm for an open discussion about bike paths. The discussion will be followed by a discussion of the closure of the Loop Road and parking issues from 1:30 to 4:00 PM in the Student Union, room 3805.

    The APC Workflow System training sessions will be held on March 22, 26, and 29. Information on this is attached to today’s meeting packet and also available on the FA website – Hotline.

    Faculty Awards selection committees are finished.  Letters are being prepared.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee – Candice Carter
    The Committee met today and has a few agenda item. There is a timeline and training plan for the electronic APC deployment in today’s packet as an information item. Training will be hands-on and will begin this month and be held in UNF Hall. Go to CPDT to sign up for training. Training videos will be posted online. The Committee will meet with all the colleges in April for training.

    Academic Standards Committee – Judy Perkin
    The Committee has two action items on today’s agenda. One relates to definitions of the various GPAs and the other relates to changes on the baccalaureate degree requirements. The next meeting is Monday, March 8 from 10 to 11 AM.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Ronald Lukens-Bull

    The Committee will meet on March 10 at 1 p.m.

    Budget Advisory Committee – Paul Mason
    The Committee has requested data that pertains to general accounting ledgers and budgeting issues, which will be the topic of the next meeting on March 10 at 2 p.m.

    Campus Technology Committee – Terry Cavanaugh
    The Committee will meet on the March 24.  Discussion at the Committee’s  February 17 meeting included the email upgrade scheduled for faculty later this month which will increase the storage space. The Committee also discussed the new proposed web-based strategic planning and management software.
    Dale Clifford asked if emeritus faculty will be included in the Outlook changes. Shawn Brayton contacted ITS and reported that they would be included.
    Paul Mason announced that faculty who have iphones may have noticed a change in service this past week. Faculty must add the UNFCSD server label to reconnect their iphone to Outlook.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Judy Solano for Faiz Al-Rubaee

    The Committee will meet on March 11 from 12:15 to 1:30 P.M. at FAMA.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Zornitza Prodanoff

    The Committee has just completed the review of the CREL applications. The Committee has one information item with data on funded proposals by rank and by college for summer teaching grants for the past few years.

    Nominations and Elections Committee – Chris Johnson
    Pat Plumlee is the next President due to no opponent. Jeffrey Harrison will be the next VP.  Nominations for Secretary were solicited from the floor. One nomination for Secretary was received--Melissa Bush.
    Dale Clifford moved to close the nominations. The slate was accepted.
    Due to no contested officer positions, there will be no election for officers of Faculty Association for the 2010-2012 term.
    Nominations for Standing and University committee vacancies were accepted from the floor by Chris Johnson, Chair.

    Research Committee – Kathaleen Bloom
    The Committee will meet next Thursday, March 11.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee – Jeffrey Harrison/Alan Harris
    The Committee will meet on March 9 at 12:30 with the consultant for the Master Plan and James Reed with the City of Jacksonville, Department of Pedestrians and Bike Paths, concerning bike paths and possible closure of the Loop Road.

    Support Services Committee –Barbara Tuck for Kristine Webb
    The Committee met with Justin Camputaro, Director of the Student Union. The
    announced that the Student Union has meeting rooms that faculty can reserve, and an Amphitheater that seats 6,000. Upcoming enhancements include DVD rental kiosks and a juke box for music videos. The next meeting is scheduled for March 8 at 1:00 PM.

    Executive Committee – Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee met on February 16 and set the agenda for today’s meeting. The Executive Committee will meet again on March 9, a week early due to Spring Break, to set the next agenda for the April Faculty Association meeting.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    UNF President – John Delaney
    The President is visiting aspirant institutions with Mark Workman.

    Academic Affairs Vice President & Provost – Mark Workman
    The Provost is visiting aspirant institutions with John Delaney

    Legislative Liaison Report – Janet Owen
    No report.

    United Faculty of Florida – Henry Thomas
    UFF will solicit nominations for the P&T, Professional Development, and Sabbatical Selection Committees. The election will be held March 9 and 10 in the Library of the Office of Faculty Enhancement from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

    State representatives involved in the legislature process are scheduled to talk with UNF-UFF representatives.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    Dale Clifford asked if emeritus faculty will be included in the Outlook changes. Shawn Brayton contacted ITS and reported that they would be included.
    Emeritus faculty will be upgraded…Deb Miller.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)
    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 10-06: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    GAP 2008-2009 UG Catalog

    The item was moved by Judy Perkin.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 10-07: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    Graduation – Baccalaureate Degree Requirements

    The item was moved by Judy Perkin.

    Pam Zeiser had a concern that students taking year-long study abroad may be impacted by this item. Ellie Scheirer commented that military transfers should be a consideration as well. After several minutes of discussion, there was a motion to remove resident hours (item 7) from the item to be sent back to committee.

    Judy Perkin moved the revised item without item 7 removed.
    The item passed without item 7, which is being sent back to Committee.

    Agenda Item# 3 - FA 10-08: Submitted by the Faculty Association President
    2010-2011 Faculty Association budget Proposals

    The item was moved by Kathy Robinson. There are no changes.
    The item passed.
  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    i. Election of Faculty Association Officers (2010-2012)
    ii. Faculty Association Standing Committees and University Committee Nominations
    iii. APC Workflow Development Timeline
    iv. Teaching Grant Analysis from 2006 through 2010
  • ADJOURNMENT

     
    Kathy Robinson adjourned the meeting at 1:20 PM.