Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:17 pm by Kathy Robinson.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – January 7, 2010 (2 minutes)
    A motion to approve the minutes was made. The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    Due to the Martin Luther King luncheon scheduled at the same time as today’s meeting, the MACP agenda item discussion might be deferred to a future FA meeting is there is no quorum. A count of attendees indicated there is a quorum.

    Nominations for Faculty Association officers will be taken from the floor today.

    Standing and University committee vacancies are listed on the FA website on the Hotline web page. Nominations will also be taken from the floor at the March FA meeting.

    The APC Program changes deadline is 2/16/2010 for the 2009-2010 Academic year.

    A volunteer is need for:

    Academic Programs Committee – COEHS (effective immediately through September, 2010).

    Double deductions from payroll for insurance will begin soon and will continue through the end of April.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee – Candice Carter
    The Committee met this morning and reviewed the new online APC Workflow system. Training sessions will be held in March and April. The system will become operational in June.

    Academic Standards Committee – Judy Perkin
    The Committee has one item on today’s agenda relating to the definition of University student absences. The next meeting is scheduled for February 8 at 10:00 AM.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Ronald Lukens-Bull

    The Committee will meet later this month to finalize a survey to be sent to adjuncts to get feedback.

    Budget Advisory Committee – Paul Mason
    The Committee has one information item concerning UNF faculty salaries and library funding compared to the SUS. The Committee is working on a budget analysis to identify anomalies over the last 5 years.

    Campus Technology Committee – Terry Cavanaugh

    The Committee will meet on February 27th. It is currently drafting a policy about security for faculty. The Outlook email system will be upgraded this month which will increase the quota for each faculty member’s quota to 150 megs. The upgrade will also enable auto responses to be sent only to UNF email addresses. The actual upgrade for faculty will start in March. Faculty who want to retain calendar information that is 2 years or older should archive that information as it will be purged.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Judy Solano for Faiz Al-Rubaee

    The Committee has one item on today’s agenda. The next meeting is scheduled for February 11.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Zornitza Prodanoff
    The Committee is reminding faculty that February 12 is the deadline for CREL applications. The Committee will begin reviewing the applications later this month.

    Nominations and Elections Committee – Young Choi for Chris Johnson

    Elections for President, Vice President, & Secretary will be accepted from the floor at the today’s Faculty Association Meeting.

    February 11 is the deadline for candidates to submit a one-page statement outlining their credentials and what they hope to accomplish as officers of the Association. These statements will be on the March Agenda. There are currently no nominations for president, two nominees for VP – Candice Carter and Jeffrey Harrison, and no nominees for Secretary.

    Nominations for officers were solicited from the floor:
    Secretary: No nominations.
    President: Pat Plumlee was nominated.
    Vice president: No additional nominees.
    A motion to close nominations for President and VP was made by Ellie Scheirer.
    The motion passed.
    The position of Secretary remains open.

    Elections for upcoming vacancies for Faculty Association Standing Committees and University Committees will be held at the April Faculty Association meeting.
    Contact any member of the followings:

    (COAS - Mary Borg, CCB - Young Tae Choi, CCEC - Nick Hudyma,
    COEHS -Otilia Salmon, BCH - Connie Roush, Library - Lauren Newton,
    Vice Chair - Lian An, and Chair, Chris Johnson
    , cjohnson@ufn.edu, ext 1693) during the month of February if you are interested in serving on a committee. Nominations will also be taken from the floor during the Faculty Association meeting on March 4th.  

    Research Committee – Kathaleen Bloom
    Information items showing allocations for summer research grants are in today’s packet. The Committee recommended 20 application to the Provost of which all were funded.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee – Jeffrey Harrison
    The Committee met on January 26 and discussed the part of the strategic plan concerning the closing of UNF Drive in front of the arena. The Committee also discussed parking and bike lanes. The next meeting is scheduled for February 23.

    Support Services Committee – Barbara Tuck for Christine Webb
    The Committee met on January 11. The next meeting is scheduled for February 15.

    Executive Committee – Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee met on January 19 and set the agenda for today’s meeting. The Executive Committee will meet again on February 16 to set the next agenda for the March FA meeting.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    UNF President – John Delaney
    No report.

    Academic Affairs Vice President & Provost – Mark Workman
    No report.

    Legislative Liaison Report – Janet Owen
    No report.

    United Faculty of Florida – Henry Thomas
    No report.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)

    Kathy Robinson asked Tom Serwatka to give a quick overview of the termination process for an academic program. The BOT has the ultimate authority.

    Anonymous Question to Dr. Workman: 

    How much does UNF pay annually for Blackboard? Wouldn’t it make sense to consider the free alternative, Moodle course management system, which gets better reviews than Bb?
    The question will be forwarded to Provost Workman.

    From Judy Solano to Shari Shuman:

    As it relates to the Campus Planning discussion reported by the Strategic Planning Advisory Committee and the proposal to cut off the Loop Road. Do campus planners know what we went through to get the Loop Road?
    The question will be forwarded to Shari Shuman upon the recommendation of Tom Serwatka.

    Jeffrey Harrison announced that he has asked the consulting team that has developed the traffic plan to meet with the Strategic Planning Advisory Committee to discuss the plans.

    Judy Solano asked if faculty could be allowed to have dialogue concerning this issue. Tom Serwatka said a faculty forum could be set up for this purpose.

  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)
    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 09-34: Resubmitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Arts and Sciences

    MACP: Counseling Psychology (APC 3 – 1 item)

    Candice Carter has made a motion that both the termination and the synopsis of support presented by the parties involved be summarized for the group:

    Cynthia Jordan read the statements supporting the termination of the MACP program: Synopsis of the Case for Terminating the Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology Program, and the statement supporting maintaining the MACP program: Rationale for Maintaining the Masters of Arts in Counseling Psychology Program. Both statements were handed out in hard copy.

    David Fenner spoke about the termination of the program and offered to answer questions. Lively discussion of pros and cons of the termination continued for several minutes between members of the association.

    Written ballots were distributed and faculty were asked to:
    Vote YES -- In favor of termination as it appears in the agenda item = 35 votes
    Vote No --- In favor of program = 27 votes
    One abstention.

    The item passed in favor of termination.

    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 10-01: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

    College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction

    Undergraduate – School of Computing (APC 2 & 3 – 4 items)
    The item was moved by Candice Carter.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 3 - FA 10-02: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Education and Human Services

    Undergraduate – Foundations & Secondary Education   (APC 1, 2, & 3 – 3 items)
    Graduate – Foundations & Secondary Education; Leadership, Counseling, & Instructional Technology (APC 1 & 3 – 8 items)
    The item was moved by Candice Carter.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 4 - FA 10-03: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee

    Student Attendance Policy
    The item was moved by Judy Perkin.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 5 - FA 10-04: Submitted by the Faculty Affairs Committee
    Recommendation Regarding University Required Student Feedback on Instruction
    The item was moved by Judy Solano.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 6 - FA 10-05: Submitted by the Executive Committee

    University Matriculation Calendar 2010-2011
    The item was moved by Ellie Scheirer.
    The item passed.
  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    I. Faculty Association Officers (2010-2012)

    II. Faculty Association Standing and University Committees

    III. Report on Faculty Salary and University Expenditures

    IV. Report on Overall Summer Research Grant Funding 2006-2010
  • ADJOURNMENT
    Kathy Robinson adjourned the meeting at 1:25 PM.