Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:17 pm by Katherine Robinson.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – November 6, 2008 (2 minutes)
    A motion to approve the minutes was made by Kathy Cohen.
    The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    A guest from the Florida Times Union newspaper, Adam Aasen, was present.
    The Department of Music is inviting faculty to attend the Festival of Carols at 2:00 pm and 8:00 pm this Saturday in the Fine Arts Theater. Faculty are free and may sit in the balcony for free.

    A P&T Party is scheduled for newly tenured and newly promoted faculty on January 14, 2009 from 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM in the Faculty Commons. Wine and hor’dourves will be served.  RSVP’s are expected.

    Volunteers are needed for the following committees:

    Adjunct Affairs Committee-COEHS and At-Large for 2008-2010
    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee- Library for 2008-2009
    Intercollegiate Athletic Committee-At-Large (2008-2010)
    Food Service Advisory Council-Designee

    There is a new search function on the Faculty Association webpage.
    Program termination activation and deactivation policy will go forward to the BOT as required by BOG.
    Dr. Rasche is retiring at the end of the month.

    From Megan Kuehner, Newly Hired Registrar:
    The Academic Calendar Committee will be reconvened and will include faculty members. The calendar changes that shortened the length of upcoming semesters were made last year. Each semester is now 15 weeks long including finals.

    Questions form Ellie Scheirer: Is Spring Break being counted as part of the term for students? Is the net result a 15-week term including finals instead of the historical 16-week term including finals?
    Response from Megan Kuehner: The changes were made last year. Spring break is not counted as part of the weeks in which classes are held during the term. The terms are now 15 weeks including finals.

    Question from Scott Hochwald: How many class meetings should be in a semester? 
    Response from Megan Kuehner: It depends on the time of week such as MWF or TR. The term lengths are counted as 2,400 minutes, not a particular number of class meetings.

    Question from Shira Schwam-Baird: Were holidays removed before the time periods were counted?
    Response from Megan Kuehner: MW classes have fewer classes due to holidays.

    The Strategic Planning Committee has been charged to develop religious center policies. The issue came up of whether religious centers should exist on campus. There will be a town meeting on Tuesday, January 13, at 9:00 AM in Faculty Commons to dialog about the religious centers.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee – Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz
    The Committee met today at 10:00 AM. There are a number of APCs in today’s packet. The Committee has decided to submit some information items at the next Faculty Association meeting to move the APC deadline to the first week in December beginning next year. The Committee is also trying to streamline its meeting process to get as many approved as possible.

    Academic Standards Committee – Marcia Lamkin
    The Committee met on November 7 and discussed a proposal from the Department of World Languages. A second item concerned course shopping as it relates to withdrawals. The next meeting is scheduled tomorrow in the Faculty Association meeting room at 10:00 AM.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee - Robb Waltner
    The last meeting was held on November 24. The committee found bad links on the
    part-time faculty website and has had them repaired. They are checking guides and policies to see if the content is up to date. They will be sending a request to Academic Affairs for information about adjuncts. In January, the Committee will send another message to all part-time faculty giving the names and contact information for all Committee members.  The next meeting is scheduled for January 26, 2009.

    Budget Advisory Committee - Jeffery Harrison
    The Committee met November 12 with Pierre Allaire as the guest. The 2008-2009 Foundation provided $2 million of unrestricted funding into operations and an additional $4 million from endowment operating accounts. The Committee’s next meeting is January 23, 2009. President Delaney will meet with the Committee at that time about short and long-term future of funding.

    Campus Technology Committee – Katharine Brown
    Kathy Robinson reported for CTC. CTC has not met as a committee since the last Faculty Association meeting.  It will meet next on December 11 @ noon in 15/3004. They will be discussing the three online collaboration tools: Elluminate, Wimba, and Connect. All faculty are welcome to join and participate in this important discussion. Elluminate and Wimba have already been demonstrated. Adobe Connect will be demonstrated on December 10 at 11 AM in the SACJ Conference room (51/2121). All three demos are being recorded. Please contact CIRT if you would like to view any of them or if you have questions about how to connect to the Adobe demo live.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Chip Klostermeyer
    The Faculty Misconduct Policy is on today’s agenda. The Committee had an open meeting to solicit comments and has incorporated the comments into the document along with comments from General Counsel.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Rama Rao
    The Committee met on December 3 and completed its review of the Summer Teaching Grants. The Committee sends appreciation to the 25 faculty who donated time to review. The next meeting will be scheduled in January.

    Nominations and Elections Committee – Mina Baliamoune
    No report.

    Research Committee – Kathaleen Bloom 
    The Committee completed its review of Summer Research Grants and has forwarded its recommendations to Dr. Workman’s office.  

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Dan Richard for Yemisi Bolumole
    The Committee is sponsoring a discussion on if religious centers should be developed on campus, which is scheduled. The next meeting is scheduled for January 12.

    Support Services Committee – Christine Webb
    No report.

    Executive Committee – Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee met to set the agenda for today’s meeting. The next meeting is scheduled on Tuesday, December 9, to plan for January’s Faculty Association meeting scheduled on the 9th Thursday instead of the first Thursday. 
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President Delaney
    No report.

    Provost Mark Workman
    Dr. Workman sent out a newsletter yesterday about ongoing activities. The Governor has proposed a 15% tuition increase, hopefully with support of the legislature and not offset with reductions of other funds. Uncertainty about the budget situation still exists.
    The Summer schedule will be funded at the same level this summer as last summer. If needed, Academic Affairs plans to cover the cost with non-recurring dollars.
    UNF will be submitting its Focus Report to SACS, along with the QEP plan in
    mid-December.
    AA has received the recommendations for summer grants and hopes to announce them next week. The intention is to fund the same number of grants this year as last year. AA has approved and distributed a number of TLO funding grants.
    Mary Borg is the new director of the honors program, replacing Chuck Paulson who ran the program for 8 years.
    The BOG mandated that we have a policy to terminate academic program. We will seek BOT approval next week on this policy.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    The General Revenue Estimation Conference was held last week resulting in a reduction of expected revenue by about 6% this year, and are looking at an estimated 9.5% for the 2009-2010. The lottery is down about $50 million for this year. PECO is down but expected to come back up.
    A big question is if there will be a special session this year. The Senate and the House are holding interim committee weeks this month. The 4% holdback of this year may grow into 6% and could occur during January or first few weeks of March when they meet.
    The Governor’s proposal would give authority to the BOT to raise tuition up to 15% with 30% of this new money going to need-based aid. This does three things: 1) It softens the pending lawsuit between University system and legislature, 2) It gives movement to the average instead of being last in terms of tuition dollars, 3) It would give us an increase of 3% to our budget. If the 15% increases is approved, the BOT would decide what increases we would have at UNF, subject to approval by the BOG.

    From Kathy Robinson: Is the right to raise tuition only for undergraduate?    
    Response from Janet: Yes. Graduate tuition can be raised 10% each year.

    Comment from Kathy Robinson: All major newspapers in the state, except locally, have supported the governor’s proposal.           

    Question from Jeffery Harrison: Given we are dead last as far as tuition levels in the country, as far as state funding, are we in the bottom quartile?
    Response from Janet: We are at the top of the bottom quartile.

    United Faculty of Florida –Henry Thomas
    The tuition situation is even worse than suggested. Some communities cost more to send a kid to pre-kindergarten than it does to send a kid to a State University. UFF is watching the budget situation as well.
    An additional component will appear in a press release to be released tomorrow addressing faculty salaries.
    Some University unions are representing adjuncts, and discussion will begin at the statewide level for UFF later this academic year. 
    December 11 is the next bargaining session at UNF.
    There is a court issue relating to doing research in areas such as Cuba and Caribbean areas.
    At the last meeting of the Statewide UFF, a new policy was released effective immediately due to liability and legal concerns. UFF will only represent faculty with grievances if they are dues paying members at the time the incident occurs.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    Question from Scott Hochwald: Pertaining to the policy that allows spouses and children of faculty to receive a free undergraduate course, is there any thought about extending the perk to graduate courses?
    Response: The issue is being discussed right now and reviewed.

    Question from Scott Hochwald: What dictator decreed that faculty must call the help desk in order to update their computer such as Windows and Acrobat updates and not be able to be administrators on their own computers?  It is clear that this is a bad thing. Are there people who are exempt from this policy such as the President or Provost?  Faculty cannot be trusted to maintain their own computers, so how can we get rid of this policy? Scott was told the right to administer his own computer would not happen.
    Response from Kathy Hughes: When Vista was rolled out, the decision was made to limit access due to security. Faculty that want to be power users are accommodated.  Most people want the C-techs to update. Adobe readers and other updates are being pushed to computers.

    Comment from Gordon Rakita: If faculty are allowed to become administrators, the C-techs should be made aware of this policy.
    Response from Kathy Hughes: ITS will make sure this is done.

    Question for Tom Serwatka: There is a rumor that the faculty and staff locker room in arena is being closed and going to one the athletic teams. Is this an accurate rumor, and if so, why?

    Question for Kathy Hughes: The University’s spam blocker blocked an educational unit’s messages from reaching a faculty member. How many educational institutions are being blocked by ITS? How many are Florida and how many are U.S. institutions? Does ITS notify UNF faculty that they have refused mail from an educational institution? How does ITS propose that mail from these institutions be communicated? Why did this happen and how does the spam blocking process work? Who makes these decisions? Is this a form of censorship?  
    Response from Kathy Hughes: ITS does not explicitly block anything. Kathy will respond to the rest of the questions in a written response. 
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list or 20 minutes to act immediately)

      Agenda Item# 1 - FA 08-41: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    BCH - (Public Health): New Degree Program and Merger Request- Masters of Science (M.S.) in Mental Health Counseling
    Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz moved the item.
    The motion passed.

    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 08-42: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee    

    COAS/Student Affairs – Army ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) Program: New Courses & Programs of Study (19 items) & supporting letters
    Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz moved the item.
    The motion passed.

    Friendly Amendment from Dale Clifford: Dr. Clifford believes the intent is that these courses may not be used to fulfill the 120 hour graduation requirement. For each course on the APC 1s, there should be a statement that says, “This course may not be used to fulfill the 120-hour graduation requirement.”
    Response from Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz: The amendment is up to the floor to decide to send it back. The Committee accepts the amendment.

    Comment from Nancy Levine: Nancy believes this item should go back to committee because the Military History course has been removed.

    Dale Clifford: It appears that the APC packet was not very clearly put together. A list of all the courses included in this program appears to be missing. The Military History course is still on the list, though not in the packet. The purpose is to get the entire program into the system, not accept it just because it is an APC 1.

    Request from Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz to have Dr. Levine clarify the question.
    Response from Nancy Levine: There are many questions about the program. The concern is about what is missing from the APC such as where the program will be housed, such as a statement from SGA about the location, and other issues.         

    Question from Lisa Jamba: The packet includes only a portion of what is posted on the web as it relates to this program and APC. The entire program is listed on the web. What does ‘incomplete’ mean?           

    Question from Jason Mauro: If the APC program is in the packet, does it mean
    that it has been approved by the APC committee?         

    Response from Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz: The forms were presented to APC and discussed by the APC Committee in the summer. A subcommittee was assembled to visit to the office sponsoring the program to improve the forms, which resulted in the final APC forms. All steps of approval have been followed.

    Question from Jason Mauro: Did the APC Committee approve it?
    Response from Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz: Yes.

    Comment from Tayeb Giuma: This item appears to need to be investigated more closely.

    A motion was made to refer the APC back to Committee from Tayeb Giuma:       
    Discussion of whether to send back to committee:

    Comment from Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz: Arturo suggests that we vote against it.
    Sending it back to the APC Committee doesn’t change it. The APC Committee
    has already approved it.

    Comment from Scott Hochwald: The detail on the web should be in the packet.
    Scott believes it should be sent back to committee because no enough information
    is available to vote on it today.

    Question from Gordon Rakita: if the body sends back, what will the APC
    Committee do differently?                                    

    Response from Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz: In Arturo’s personal opinion, everything is done. It is ready to be placed on agenda.

    Comment from Jason Mauro: It doesn’t make sense to send back.

    Call for question made by Chris Rasche.                   
    A motion was made to send the item back to Committee.
    The motion failed and will not be sent back to Committee. 
                                         
    A call for question for item by Chris Rasche:
    A motion was made to send the item back to approve the item with the friendly amendment.
    The motion passed.

    Agenda Item# 3 - FA 08-43: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COAS – (Chemistry & Physics; Communication; English; History; Mathematics & Statistics; Music; Political Science & Public Administration; Psychology; Sociology & Anthropology; World Languages):: New Courses, Course Changes, Programs of Study (107 items) & supporting letters
    Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz moved the item.
    Comment from Larry Daniel: A number of the courses in chemistry and physics will affect the science education students.  Dean Daniel has alerted colleagues in chemistry and physics. We need to be more diligent about lack of communication across units.
    The motion passed.

    Agenda Item#4 - FA 08-44: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee       CCB - (Accounting & Finance; Management): New Courses, Course Changes, Programs of Study (17 items) & supporting letter
    Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz moved the item.
    The motion passed.

    Agenda Item# 5 - FA 08-45: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    CCEC - (Construction Management; School of Computing): Course Changes (15 items)
    Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz moved the item.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 6 - FA 08-46: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee COEHS - (Exceptional Student & Deaf Education; Leadership, Counseling & Instructional Technology): Course Changes Programs of Study (11 items) & supporting letter
    Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz moved the item.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 7 - FA 08-47: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee       BCH - (School of Nursing); Course Changes (1 item)
    Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz moved the item.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 8 - FA 08-48: Submitted by the Faculty Affairs Committee
    Policy and Procedure for Dealing with Allegations of Misconduct in Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activities
    Chip Klostermeyer moved the item.
    The motion passed.

    Comment from Neal Coulter: Neal attended the town meeting. In the initial complaint, he requested a change from “may report” to “shall report.” Why are those inside the University not required to report someone who has knowledge? The change does not reflect Dr. Coulter’s request.

    Response from Chip Klostermeyer: The intent was to omit those from outside the University from being required to report since we are unable to control their actions.

    Friendly amendment from Neil Coulter: Individuals inside the University have an obligation to report plagiarism and outsiders ‘may’ report plagiarism.

    Chip Klostermeyer accepted the friendly amendment. 

    Question from Lisa Jamba: Why do we have to reference a third party? 

    Response from Chip Klostermeyer: A journal editor may identify plagiarism which is an outside party.

    Question from Neil Coulter: Why does the policy give the Faculty Affairs Committee the complete control of the process? Does the Provost have the authority to act upon the Faculty Affairs committee’s recommendation?

    Response from Chip Klostermeyer: Adjudication is separated from the process. The Provost has the ability to act on the decision of the committee.

    Question from Donna Mohr: One group that might observe faculty misconduct is graduate students who might be timid to report. Are they covered under the ‘shall’?

    Response from Chip Klostermeyer: We don’t have the mechanism to enforce a sanction on then.

    Call for the question.
    The motion passed. 

  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    Result of Nominations and Elections Committee
  • ADJOURNMENT
    Kathy Robinson adjourned the meeting at 1:32 PM.