Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, November 6, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:15 pm by Kathy Robinson.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – October 2, 2008 (2 minutes)
    A motion to approve the minutes was made by Judy Solano.
    The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    The minutes were not recorded because Diane Tanner forgot to bring the recorder to the meeting. *No audio recording for the November 6 meeting

    From Mary Tappmeyer, UNF Women’s Basketball coach: A UNF Faculty and Staff Appreciation night is scheduled for the UNF vs. Florida State basketball game. Families are welcome to attend. There will be a reception catered by PF Changs. To attend, RSVP by November 13 to a.stewart@unf.edu or x4277.

    From Elliot Darkatsh, Director of marketing, UNF Athletics:
    There will be a free UNF Womens’ Volleyball game versus Florida Gulf Coast on Friday, November 14. There will an opportunity for an on-court challenge with prizes. To attend, RSVP before November 12 to edarkats@unf.edu.

    From Kathy Robinson: Volunteers are needed for the following committees: Adjunct Affairs-COEHS and at large, Strategic Planning Advisory Committee–Library, Intercollegiate Athletic Committee–at-large, Constitutional Jurisdiction committee, and Food services Advisory Committee.
    A campus security task force has been appointed.  Debra Murphy has agreed to chair the task force.           
    Newly promoted and newly tenured faculty will be recognized at a wine and cheese reception on Wednesday, January 14, 2009. More information will be
    sent out later.

  • ING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee – Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz
    The committee met today and approved a number of their 160 APC forms and plans to complete the remaining forms next month. The next Committee meeting is scheduled for November 13.

    Academic Standards Committee – Judy Solano for Marcia Lamkin
    The Committee will meet November 7 at 10:00 AM. There are two items on the Committee’s agenda. The first relates to a request to give retroactive credit for expertise in a foreign language. The second item relates to students withdrawing from classes.  

    Adjunct Affairs Committee - Debra Simson for Robb Waltner
    The Committee met for a fact finding meeting.  Members will be contacting adjuncts to see if they use the current resources that have been developed for them and what other resources they need to meet their needs.

    Budget Advisory Committee - Jeffery Harrison
    The Committee met on October 15 with Joann Campbell, who discussed the upcoming budget year. Travel funds at $1,500 per faculty member have been allocated for each faculty member to attend conferences. There are currently 475 tenured faculty lines at UNF. Forty lines are vacant, and other these, 35 were searched and 25 were filled for the current academic year. For 2009-2010 Academic Year, 12 faculty lines have been approved to search.
    The committee was surprised to learn that no faculty exit surveys are taken to determine why faculty leave UNF.
    The Committee will meet on November 12 with Pierre Alliaire and has also invited President Delaney to discuss the short and long term future of funding.

    Campus Technology Committee – Katharine Brown
    The next meeting is scheduled for November 14 at noon. The Committee met on October 16 and discussed classroom collaboration tools. There are a number of live demos scheduled for these tools, the first of which will be Eluminate (a distance learning tool that enables remote communication between faculty and students in a class). Additional vendors have been invited to provide demonstrations including Wimba and Adobe Connect and will be videotaped for those unable to make the presentation. The demo dates will be announced.
    Question and Comment from Judy Solano:
    Will there be a demo on Orange Grove? It is a digital depository for instructional materials. Some of the materials are PowerPoints, videos, and other education materials that are free and available to faculty to use in our courses. Faculty can post their own materials to Orange Grove for other faculty and students to use and are able to restrict  access if desired. Intellectual property rights are maintained.            
    Response from Deb Miller: There will be an Orange Gove demo at the end of November. Deb will send out an announcement to faculty.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Chip Klostermeyer
    The Committee has one item on the FA legislature agenda today that provides a clarification of emeritus faculty benefits under the old policy with alignment to collective bargaining agreement. The Committee held a hearing on the proposed Academic Faculty Misconduct policy and will discuss at their next meeting scheduled for Thursday, November 13 at
    12:15 PM.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Rama Rao
    The committee met and started processing the summer teaching grants applications. The next meeting is scheduled for December 7.

    Nominations and Elections Committee – Connie Roush For Mina Baliamoune
    The Committee is holding an election today to elect members of the Nominations and Elections committee. One nominee has been received for each vacancy and except for the at-large position. Mina nominated Chris Johnson for the at-large vacancy. A motion was made to close nominations. The motion passed. The slate was elected.

    Research Committee – Kathaleen Bloom 
    No report. 

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz for Yemisi Bolumole
    The Committee met on October 6 with Tom Serwatka who presented information on the four proposed religious centers and charged the committee to create policies for these facilities. The next meeting date is November 17.

    Support Services Committee – Dean Krusienski
    The Committee will meet on November 17 with Vince Smyth from Auxiliary Services.

    Executive Committee – Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee met on October 21 to set the agenda for today’s meeting.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President Delaney
    No report.

    Provost Mark Workman
    The strategic planning process is moving forward quickly. A large number of people are involved and subcommittees are working on individual goals. A progress report will be presented to the BOT soon. Sheila McDevitt, Chair of the Board of Governors, will be working with the Committee.
    Academic Affairs held a retreat last week. Its agenda is online. The afternoon focused on diversity.
    A task force appointed last year has been transformed into a permanent council. It will be working on recruitment, retention, and other diversity issues.          
    The mother of Matt Corrigan, Department of Political Science and Public Administration, passed away and more information will be sent out as soon as available.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    No report.

    United Faculty of Florida –Henry Thomas
    The bargaining process is continuing. UFF is negotiating a number of items of which salary is the major one. UFF is also waiting for the November report from the State on the financial position.
    Even though emeriti faculty are not in-unit, the UFF agreement has some items included in the contract related to them.
    The Union’s legislative action committee has been extremely active through the election cycle.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    Question from Mina Baliamoune: What is the composition of the members of the diversity council?
    Response from Dr. Workman: The bylaws will delineate the membership, and additional members will be appointed after president approves the bylaws. The hope is to include members of the Faculty Association.

    Question from Dale Clifford: Is there a target date for notifying the summer grant recipients?
    Response: None yet.

    Question form Jason Mauro: It is great that information pertaining to the religious centers has been brought to the Faculty Association.  Should the issue of whether the religious centers should proceed be addressed?

    Anonymous to Henry Thomas and President Delaney: Does it lower faculty morale that a recently hired assistant professor in the Coggin College of Business earns more than some full professors across campus?
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list or 20 minutes to act immediately)
    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 08-34: Submitted by the Executive Committee
    College of Education and Human Services (returned item)
    Undergraduate – Foundations and Secondary Education (APC 3 – 2  items)
    Ellie Scheirer moved the item.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 08-35: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Arts and Sciences
    Graduate - Biology (APC 1 & 3 – 3 items)
    Undergraduate – Psychology (APC 1 & 2 – 2 items)
    Graduate – Psychology (APC 2 – 1 item)
    Undergraduate – World Languages (APC 3 – 1  item)

    Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz moved the item.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 3 - FA 08-36: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Coggin College of Business
    Graduate - Management (APC 3 – 1 item)
    Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz moved the item.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 4 - FA 08-37: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction
    Undergraduate – School of Computing (APC 2 & 3 – 3 items)
    Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz moved the item.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 5 - FA 08-38: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Brooks College of Health
    Undergraduate – Athletic Training and Physical Therapy (APC 1 & 3 – 3 items)           Graduate – School of Nursing (APC 1, 2, & 3 – 3 items)
    Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz moved the item.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 6 - FA 08-39: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    Miller Analogies Test (MAT) Proposal as an alternative to the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
    Judy Solano moved the item.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 7 - FA 08-40: Submitted by the Faculty Affairs Committee
    Proposed New Policy for Emeritus Faculty for the Faculty Handbook
    Chip Klostermeyer moved the item.
    The item passed.
  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    Election of Nominations and Elections Committee
  • ADJOURNMENT
    Kathy Robinson adjourned the meeting at 12:53 PM.