Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:47 pm by Ellie Scheirer.
  • ROVAL OF THE MINUTES – May 14, 2009 (2 minutes)
    A motion to approve the minutes was made by Dale Clifford.

    A second was made byDavid Courtwright. The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    Announcement from Marsha Lupi:
    The open house for new College of Education building will be held on June 24 from 3 to 5 pm.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee – Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz
    The Committee met today for its last meeting of the academic year. For the academic year, the committee processed over 300 APC forms.

    Academic Standards Committee – Judy Solano for Marcia Lamkin
    The Committee has not met since the last Faculty Association meeting. It has two items on today’s agenda. One item will be voted on during today’s meeting. The second is an information item.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Rob Waltner

    The last meeting was held on May 26 during which Ron Lukens-Bull was elected as chair. The committee has finished developing a survey that will be sent out to part-time faculty after getting the questions approved at the next Executive Committee meeting.

    Budget Advisory Committee - Jeffery Harrison

    The Committee’s last meeting was held on May 12. The next meeting is scheduled for August 19, 2009.  Paul Mason is the newly elected chair.

    Campus Technology Committee – Terry Cavanaugh
    The committee has not met since the last Faculty Association meeting. The committee is in the process of setting up the next meeting.

    Faculty Affairs Committee –Ellie Scheirer for Chip Klostermeyer
    The Committee did not meet and will not meet until the beginning of the next academic year.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Rama Rao
    The Committee will continue to meet work with Dan Richard on Faculty Enhancement issues. The committee will meet on the 4th Tuesday of June.

    Nominations & Elections Committee –Lauren Newton for Mina Baliamoune
    There are three vacancies the committee still needs to fill in. It will not meet until the new academic year.  HR Sick Leave Pool Committee (At-large) – 2 years term (9/2011)
    Undergraduates Studies Council (COAS) – 3 years term (9/2012)
    University Appeals Committee- Alternates (CCB) – 2 years term (9/2011)

    Research Committee – Kathaleen Bloom 

    No report.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Dan Richard
    The Committee met on May 26 during which it welcomed newly elected members. The Committee discussed co-chairs for the coming year—Alan Harris and Jeff Harrison. The next meeting is scheduled for August 25, during which Dr. Workman has been invited

    Support Services Committee – Kristine Webb
    No report.

    Executive Committee – Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee met and set the agenda for today’s FA meeting. The next meeting will meet on June 16 at 12:45 PM.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    UNF President John Delaney
    No report.

    Academic Affairs Vice President and Provost – Mark Workman
    The ORSP Advisory Committee has been constituted and Len Roberson will chair it. All 5 colleges are represented on the committee and will be staffed by Joann Campbell to provide budgetary information. The committee will be charged in early July.  Kathy Kasten will chair the IRB replacing David Kline who has stepped down.

    Mark will be meeting with the FA Strategic Planning Advisory Committee on August 25.  The Strategic Planning Committee is in the process of assembling performance indicators and university agreed upon goals. The intention is to provide targets for performance indicators which will drive University funding. Our priorities will focus on graduation rates. One challenge we need to address involves coordinating the College goals with the University level goals. The process of reviewing commercial software products to integrate unit level plans with University ambitions will be helpful. The BOT and the President are fully committed to this process.
    David Fenner has agreed to serve as the Interim Associate Dean of COAS. Mark will consult with deans and chairs how to refill the permanent position.

    Legislative Liaison Report – Janet Owen
    Janet is out today and has sent a message: The Governor has signed the budget and a differential tuition bill. Janet is working on an initiative to partner with business leaders to increase investments in State Universities.

    United Faculty of Florida – Henry Thomas
    No report.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    Question from Judy Solano for Campus Technology Committee: In anticipation of getting Elluminate for the Fall: Which groups will be able to use this? 
     
    Answer from Deb Miller: It is licensed for all graduate students based on the grad student FTE and the undergrad students in the School of Computing.


    From Scott Hochwald: There is an elevator in building 14 that cannot be used. A code pad has been installed. How do we get access to this?
         To be referred.

    Comment from Judy Solano: Judy is supportive on the new signage around campus. Are we aware that many of the arrows are pointed in the wrong direction?
     
    Answer from Shari Shuman: Before this meeting, they were supposed to all be covered. At least one is right. Some do not have proper names on them and we hope that they will be fixed over the next couple of weeks. We have plans for three new electronic signs for each of the entrances; the first on Alumni drive.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list or 20 minutes to act immediately)
    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 09-16: Resubmitted by the Support Services Committee
    Faculty Association Bylaws Amendment: Second Reading for Support Services Committee
    Charge Change Proposal
    Moved by Judy Solano.
    Friendly amendment from Deb Miller to change the name of CIRT to: Center for Instruction and Research Technology.
    Friendly amendment accepted.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 09-17: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Arts and Sciences
    Undergraduate– (Biology & History): New Courses
    The item was moved by Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz.  
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 3 - FA 09-18: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee Brooks College of Health
    Undergraduate – (School of Nursing): Course Changes
    The item was moved by Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz.  
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 4 - FA 09-19:  Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    Processing a Withdrawal for a Deceased Student     
    The item was moved by Judy Solano.  
    The item passed.
  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    I.Grade Changes

    II.Faculty Association 2009-2010 Schedule

    III.Academic Programs Committee 2009-2010 Schedule

    IV.University Matriculation Calendar 2009-2010
  • ADJOURNMENT
    Ellie Scheirer adjourned the meeting at 1:14 PM.