Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:16 pm by Kathy Robinson.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – March 5, 2009 (2 minutes)
    A motion to approve the minutes was made by Chip Klostermeyer.
    The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    From Kathy Robinson: Voting for Faculty Association and University committees will be held today and tomorrow.  Thanks to those who put their names on the ballot and those who volunteered for uncontested vacancies.

    From Laurel Crump, Library: A link to a library survey was sent out to faculty this week. The library would like to receive feedback. It will be posted for two more weeks.

    From Imeh Ebong, Research and Sponsored Programs: There are some funding programs, which include stimulus funding from the Federal Government posted on the Research and Sponsored Programs website. Contact them for more information.
                
    From Kathy Robinson: A revised noise policy was approved a couple of months ago by the Faculty Association and was sent forward to the President.  The President feels it is appropriate to engage students in the development of the policy. The policy was last approved in 1998. We need faculty volunteers to sit on this committee from all colleges.  If you are interested, please contact Kathy Robinson.  Someone has already volunteered from COEHS. �
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee – Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz
    The Committee deferred its meeting scheduled for today to May because only one
    APC form had been submitted. There are several APC items on today’s agenda spanning pages 2 to 15.

    Academic Standards Committee –Judy Solano for Marcia Lamkin

    The Committee met to discuss some considerations on the medical withdrawal policy. ASC will meet again tomorrow at 3:00 PM in the FA meeting.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee - Robb Waltner
    The last meeting was held on March 23. The committee plans to put together a brief online survey to send out to part time faculty at its next meeting.

    Budget Advisory Committee - Jeffery Harrison
    The Committee met on March 24 with Imeh Ebong as its guest. The topic of discussion was grant funding.  During 2007-2008, there were 146 research proposals submitted with 85 being funded for a total of about $10.2 million.  The next meeting is scheduled for April 14 at noon in BCH.  The QEP program and related funding will be on the agenda. The committee urges everyone to attend the town hall meetings being held for each college.

    Campus Technology Committee – Terry Cavanaugh
    CTC met on March 12. The committee is developing a survey on the quality on technology services provided by ITS. There will be a joint meeting with the Distance Learning Committee scheduled in April.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Chip Klostermeyer
    The Committee met and discussed a possible exit survey for faculty. The committee has collected data on the number of faculty that have left UNF over the last four years. Total resignations were 69 while 78 faculty retired. The committee will be collecting exit surveys used by other universities and working on an exit survey instrument for UNF.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Rama Rao
    The Committee met on March 24. There will be a Promotion and Tenure panel held on April 9. The committee is developing a survey of past participants in the OFE workshops to understand how those workshops have been useful to them. The Committee will meet with Mark Falbo to see how the QEP activities affect Faculty Enhancement. The next meeting is scheduled for April 21.

    Nominations and Elections Committee – Mina Baliamoune
    The Committee met to prepare the ballot for today’s election.  It will begin today after the FA meeting and continue until 4:00 pm today and again tomorrow from 9:00 to 1:30 PM. The Committee will meet to count ballots on Friday afternoon.

    Research Committee – Kathaleen Bloom 
    No report.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Dan Richard
    No report.

    Support Services Committee – Kristine Webb
    The Committee is fine tuning the language on the committee’s description. The next meeting is scheduled for April 15 and will focus on faculty responsibility during emergency crisis times with Dan Endicott as a guest. 

    Executive Committee – Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee met on March 10 to prepare the agenda for today’s meeting. The next meeting will be held on April 21. The Committee has received a matriculation calendar for 2009 to 2010. The plan is to have the executive committee review it and include it as an information item at the next Faculty Association meeting.          
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President John Delaney
    All faculty have been invited to town hall meetings to hear about budget status.

    The States’ revenue is off about 25%, dropping from $24 billion to $18 billion. The Federal stimulus plan can fill half this over two years. Both chambers and the legislature are looking at increasing taxes or fees. One area is to obtain taxes from Indian gaming rights.  Both the governor and the Senate have proposed a 0% cut to higher education. The House appears to be proposed a 4 percent cut. The goal at UNF is to protect jobs and programs.
    A comment made by Bernie Machen two years ago said that his conversations with the state legislators and the Governor at that time, there was a sense that the University system was not relevant to the problems the state was facing. This year under the current Governor, the sense is that traditional revenue sources may not be the future of the State of Florida. The legislature now sees the importance of higher education and views the future of Florida should be focused on a knowledge-based economy. Even without a budget cut, we still have increases in costs for next year.

    Provost Mark Workman
    P&T recommendations:

    •The P&T Committee reviewed one candidate for tenure only and made a positive recommendation. Dr. Workman concurred.  
    •The Committee reviewed 21 candidates for promotion to associate professor. It recommended 19 candidates. The Provost recommended 19 positive recommendations but varied on 1 candidate.
    •The Committee reviewed 7 candidates for promotion to professor and recommended 5, and provided a split vote on the 6th candidate. The Provost recommended 6 candidates.

    Strategic Planning:

    Tom Serwatka has been overseeing the Benchmark Committee, which has been identifying group peer, and aspirant institutions against which we can measure our achievements. The Committee is now in process of applying benchmarks to our strategic goals. A preliminary meeting of committee chairs is scheduled for April 13th meeting and a larger meeting on April 17th.  

    Crisis Issues:
    The Crisis Management Team meets regularly. Last week, the Team went through an exercise with the JSO and other branches of emergency management and were given a scenario and had to respond under pressure while being videotaped. UNF is committed to ongoing training.  Faculty are encouraged to avail themselves to these opportunities as they come up throughout the year.         

    An Executive Director of Assessment, Judy Miller, has been hired. Her position already existing in AA, and was not a new position. UNF’s commitment after the SACS review was to not lose momentum during the next ten-year period.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    No report.

    United Faculty of Florida –Henry Thomas
    Today is the last day of UFF election.  Nominations are closed for the Sabbatical and P&T Committee elections, which will be held on April 8 and 9th
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    Question from Judy Solano for Ellie Scheirer: Concerning the Academic calendar, in years past, the approval was an action item on which the FA voted.
    Response from Ellie Scheirer: We are in the process of moving towards having the Faculty Association being involved in the academic calendar process.  However, this year, the FA was not notified soon enough to be involved. Enrollment Services deadline was mid-April, leaving time only for the Executive Committee to approve, and too late to get it on the FA agenda. If anyone has any concerns about the calendar for next academic year, contact Ellie Scheirer.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list or 20 minutes to act immediately)

    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 09-09: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee  College of Arts and Sciences
    Undergraduate and Graduate – (Art & Design; Chemistry & Physics; Mathematics & Statistics):
    New Courses, Course Changes, & Programs of Study (33 items)
    The item was moved by Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 09-10: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee Coggin College of Business
    Graduate – (Coggin College of Business): Programs of Study (1 item)
    The item was moved by Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 3 - FA 09-11: Submitted by the Academic Programs CommitteeCollege of Computing, Engineering, and Construction
    Undergraduate & Graduate – (School of Computing; School of Engineering-Civil/Electrical/Mechanical: New Courses, Course Changes, & Programs of Study
    (17 items)
    The item was moved by Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 4 - FA 09-12: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee Brooks College of Health
    Undergraduate & Graduate – (Public Health): New Courses, Course Changes, & Programs of Study (5 items)
    The item was moved by Arturo Sάnchez-Ruỉz.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 5 - FA 09-13: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee

    Medical Withdrawal Policy Change
    The item was moved by Judy Solano.


    Comments from Judy Solano:

    The original policy is relative long and only item 4, the portion for which a change is proposed, appears in the agenda. The Committee met with representatives from health services last month to share the rationale to word the policy as ‘courses’ rather than saying ‘all courses’. The Committee added ‘in progress’ to give consideration to situation in which a student may have completed a summer A course would not have to be withdrawn from completed courses.
    The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 6 - FA 09-14: Submitted by the General Education Council          
    2009 General Education Learning Outcomes         
    The item was moved Marnie Jones.


    Comments from Marnie Jones: 

    The committee wishes to make one change to the item as printed by adding the word ‘Mathematics’ should appear in line 1. The line should read:
    Demonstrate knowledge of the natural sciences, arts, human societies, and mathematics.
    From Scott Hochwald: A huge smile of approval.  
    The item passed.

  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    i. Vitae Summaries of Finalists for 2009 Distinguished Professor Award
    ii. Faculty Association Standing Committees and University Committees & Distinguished Professor Elections
  • ADJOURNMENT
    Kathy Robinson adjourned the meeting at 12:50 PM.