Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Affairs Committee Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:15 PM by Gordon Rakita (Chair).

Members Present:

Gordon Rakita, David Fenner, Chip Klostermeyer, Scott Hochwald, Mina Baliamoune, Julie Ingersoll, Cynthia Cummings, Alireza Jahan-Mihan

Members Absent:

Sherry Pinkstaff

Others Attending:

Radha Pyati (FA President)
  • Approval of Minutes
    The Committee approved the minutes of its October 20th 2016 meeting.
  • Announcement
    The Committee Chair announced that Cynthia Cummings will serve on the Outstanding Graduate Teaching committee and Julie Ingersoll will serve on the Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching committee and thanked both of them for their service.
  • New Business
    • Since the committee had decided to rotate secretaries each month, Mina Baliamoune-Lutz was selected to serve as secretary for the November meeting.

    • The Committee discussed the anonymous question (received by the FA President) related to the audit report and the Committee Chair’s proposed possible response. The Committee agreed to accept the Chair’s proposed response with minimal modification. The Committee Chair will present the proposed response to the FA Executive Committee.

    • The Committee Chair reported that there were already >60 responses to the Research/Scholarship Survey. The chair will prepare an initial report for the committee’s December meeting.

    • Vote of No Confidence in President/Provost Process: The Committee discussed the process for vote of no confidence in President/Provost. After reviewing the related material in the packet, the Committee agreed on the need to make the guidelines for the process short and simple and that the Association’s bylaws will have to be amended to reflect the procedure and guidelines for this process. A major point that was discussed thoroughly relates to the number of faculty needed to call for a vote of confidence and how many colleges (including the Library) should be represented. The following process was drafted and forwarded on to the Executive Committee:

      Proposed new Article IX of the Faculty Association Bylaws (current Article IX becoming article X)
      If 40 members of the Faculty Association (as defined in Article III, Section 1), with membership in at least two different colleges (including the library), seek to conduct a vote of confidence in the University President or a Vice President, they may approach the UNF Faculty Association President with a request for such a vote. The Faculty Association President will then conduct the vote, ensuring confidentiality of participants. The Faculty Association President will report both to the University Faculty and to the Chair of the Board of Trustees (a) the total number of votes and (b) the number of votes for and against. No more than one such vote of confidence shall be conducted for any one administrator within a twelve month period.

    • Clarifying Awards Language: The Committee discussed how to clarify the Awards Language (in response to question received by the FA President). The Committee proposed the following (in red) changes to the current language for the teaching awards.
      • ____ The list of courses taught during within the past five academic years at UNF (not including summer) is presented on a single page. The list contains course number, course name, number of credit hours, and student enrollment.
      • ____ The teaching narrative is a maximum of three pages and provides a discussion of my teaching philosophy and my most significant teaching accomplishments during the past five academic years at, and only at, UNF. 

    • The committee also discussed the possibility of restricting the Adjunct Teaching Award to only those faculty teaching at UNF who do not have another role at the University. The committee decided not to support this proposal as it would create a class of faculty ineligible for any teaching awards at UNF. The Chair agreed to communicate the committee’s rationale to the Adjunct Affairs committee. The committee also discussed and was positively disposed to the possibility of colleges making professional development funds available to adjuncts.

    • Consolidating and decreasing the number of Faculty Association Committees: Committee members discussed the rationale for decreasing the number of committees. It was suggested that the Faculty Enhancement and Support Services Committees be merged into one committee, and the Strategic Planning and Budget Advisory Committees be merged into one committee. The discussion on this issue focused on efficiency, making committee membership more attractive to faculty, consolidation of faculty voice for the sake of strengthening that voice, and trying to curtail overlap. The Committee agreed to make these suggestions to the Executive Committee.

    • After discussion of an appropriate date, the Committee agreed that the Committee Chair will invite the Faculty Union President to a meeting of the committee in the Spring term to present a proposal and rationale for moving to a Faculty Senate.
  • Adjournment and Next Meeting
    The meeting was adjourned at 1:15 p.m.
    The next meeting will be at 12:15 p.m. on December 8th, 2016 in the OFE/FA Conference Room.