Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Affairs Committee Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:15 PM by Gordon Rakita.

Members Present:

Gordon Rakita, Chip Klostermeyer, David Fenner, Scott Hochwald, Radha Pyati, Ali Jahan-Mihan, Julie Ingersoll, Cynthia Cummings

Members Absent:

Sherry Pinkstaff

Others Attending:

Ruth Lopez (Director, International Center)
  • Approval of the Minutes
    Minutes from January 17, 2017 were approved by the committee.
  • Announcements/Old Business

    1- Pomona Letter in Support of DACA
    Delaney has SIGNED.


    2- Vote of No Confidence in President/VP Process
    The bylaws change will be voted on at the next FA meeting. Committee members agreed that only
    full-time faculty can vote.


    3- Syllabi Bank for Students:
    Rakita and Pyati met and discussed the “Syllabi Bank” with the SGA’s project manager. They have been invited to a further discussion with SG about their ideas. The implication of “Syllabi Bank” on CANVAS also will be discussed.

     

     

     Old Business

    1- Unity Statement:
    Changes requested by Delaney were reviewed and approved. Pyati suggested to move forward for consideration of full-faculty association. However, Hochwald disagreed to add the term “resolution” to the title. Committee accepted his point.

     

    2- Outstanding Faculty Community Engaged Scholarship award language:
    The current language of the award requires a member of the QEP Management Team to
    serve on the committee. Committee members agreed to edit this with the phrase: “a faculty member selected by the Director of the Center for Community Based Learning.”

     

    3- Make-up Exam:
    Ingersoll suggested that there must be a timeframe for the make-up exam (e.g. two weeks). Pyati said the make-up exam policy must be discussed with the office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity (EOD). Hochwald mentioned that we do not have an exam policy. Rakita and Pyati also stated that Academic freedom must be considered in any policy. Committee agreed to further discuss this matter with executive committee.

    4- Campus Climate Survey:
    Ingersoll mentioned that many questions are unclear and the answer can be interpreted as either positive or negative. Hochwald said it means these issues are important and need to be discussed. Rakita mentioned that the questions must be kept similar each year to be comparable. Klostermeyer and Ingersoll will work on edits and consult with M. Binder (Polling Center).

    5- Research Survey update & recommendations discussion:
    Fenner said that he received considerable response from faculty and he is working on the first draft of the Research Statement. Rakita and Ochrietor will work with Fenner on the draft.

  • New Business

    1- Proposal: To split the Department of Public Health into two departments: Department of Public Health and Department of Health Administration. The committee reviewed and passed the proposal.

    2- Sawmill Slough Expansion: A proposal for expansion of Sawmill Slough preserve and also building a UNF hotel and convention center in this area were discussed. Rakita mentioned that SGA supports the expansion. All committee members discussed the pros and cons of the expansion and also the potential source of revenue for UNF that a hotel would bring. Pyati also mentioned that it will be also convenient for the UNF employees and also for the guests. Fenner indicated that the preserve area is very difficult for construction since it is a wetland. Committee agreed to invite faculty who have some activities in the preserve (e.g. John Hatle), James Taylor (Environmental Center), Chuck Hubbuch (Assistant Director, Physical Facilities & Campus Horticulturalist) and John Hale (AVP Physical Facilities) to the next meeting for further discussion.

    3- Sanctuary Campus issue: Committee members agreed that we must not be pro-active and act as an enforcement agent for ICE. Klostermeyer suggested reviewing the Michigan State University statement as an example. Committee agreed to ask President Delany to review the MSU statement.

  • Future Business
    - Moving to a Faculty Senate
    - Sawmill Slough Expansion: Inviting John Hatle and James Taylor for further discussion
    - Student Behavioral Issues
    - Retired faculty Email accounts issue Student Behavioral Issues
    - Campus Climate Survey – launch in Spring
    - Retired faculty Email accounts issue
  • V. Adjournment & Next Meeting
    The meeting was adjourned at 1:45 p.m.
    The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 12:15 PM in the OFE/FA Conference Room.