Minutes of Meeting

Executive Committee Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The Executive Committee meeting was called to order at 12:20 p.m. by Faculty Association Vice-President David Fenner.

Members Present:

Paul Eason, Aisha Johnson-Jones, Scott Hochwald, Steven Williamson, David Fenner, Georgette Dumont, Dan Richard, Jose Franco, Pali Sen, Radha Pyati, Chip Klostermeyer, Dana Hart, Michael Bovenzi, Brian Kopp, Elizabeth Gregg, Raphael Crowley

Members Absent:

Gordon Rakita, Alan Harris

Ex-Officio Members:

Cindy Chin

Others Attending:

None
  •  
    •  President Pyati thanked the outgoing FA committee Chairs and incoming FA committee Chairs for their service. She also thanked Scott Hochwald for serving as Parliamentarian. 
    • President Pyati reviewed the role of the Executive Committee and the role of committee Chairs.
    • Vice President David Fenner reminded committee chairs to forward committee minutes to the Faculty Association Executive Secretary, Cindy Chin and to get the help from President Pyati for non-active committee members.
    • FA Secretary reminded committee Chairs that when giving committee reports at the FA Meeting to state his/her name, to indicate the last and next meeting dates, times, and location, and to update the Faculty Association on the important work of the committee, including agenda items and other issues being addressed by the committee in past and upcoming meetings.
  • Approval of Minutes
    • The Executive Committee Meeting minutes from August 16, 2016 were approved as posted on the webpage.
  • Association President – Radha Pyati
    • The Faculty Association leadership meeting with President John Delaney has not yet been scheduled, but FA President Pyati will update the FA once the meeting has been scheduled. 
    • Dr. Hope Wilson, Associate Professor in Foundations and Secondary Education was appointed COEHS representative to the Research Council. The FA reviewed and approved this appointment. 
    • President Pyati provided the Board of Trustees (BOT) Report. – Dr. Pyati attended the recent UNF BOT Retreat, where new members were oriented to the Board. The BOT discussed how the Board will evaluate President Delaney, which will happen in October. The Board was visited by Adam Putnam, Florida Agriculture Commissioner. There was a discussion about the statewide metrics and how schools are compared to each other. There was a visit from a consultant from the Association of Governing Boards to discuss how the UNF BOG would like to function.
  • New Business

    STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:


    Executive Committee – David Fenner

    Information Item# 2 – Jack Kleinsinger, has been nominated for an Honorary Degree

    • Last year, the Faculty Affairs Committee changed the process of conveying honorary degrees such that the approval process goes through the Department and College Dean, and if approved by Faculty Affairs, then the request is forwarded to the FA Executive Committee, and if approved, is forwarded back to the Faculty Affairs Committee to forward the recommendation to the University President. 
    • There was a discussion about the criteria and about other names who were forwarded but were not approved. It was discussed that there are no posthumous honorary degrees awarded through this process. 
    • Eligibility criteria is listed on the UNF website in the Faculty Handbook, Policy 8.8 Honorary Degrees, https://www.unf.edu/acadaffairs/faculty_handbook/Chapter08.aspx
    • The motion was approved.
    • VP Fenner will send this information to Dr. Gordon Rakita, Chair of the Faculty Affairs Committee, who will forward this information to President Delaney.
    • An information item will be included in the Faculty Association agenda when we have President Delaney’s decision. 
    • FA Past President Chip Klostermeyer - There was a proposal that members of the Executive Committee discuss with the faculty at the Faculty Association Meeting how to encourage healthy debate.

    Academic Standards Committee –Steven Williamson

    Scott Hochwald reported for the committee.
    • The Academic Standards Committee met on Friday, Sept 16th.
    • The committee discussed what a faculty member should do if a student threatens a faculty member with harm. 
    • The committee discussed that if a faculty member feels threatened either because of direct threats or otherwise, the faculty member should contact campus police or the Dean of Students in Student Affairs. 
    • The Executive Committee suggested referring the issue to the Campus Safety Advisory Council.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Elizabeth Gregg
    The committee last met on August 30th.
    • The committee discussed adjunct faculty pay, and how many adjunct faculty rely on their faculty position as their main source of income.
    • They also discussed the faculty pay related to other non-tenure-track faculty, including visiting faculty.
    • The committee discussed that there was no funding for travel to conferences for non-tenure-track faculty who are presenting research for UNF. 
    • It was noted that the Adjunct Affairs Committee members will serve to select Outstanding Adjunct Teaching Award this year. 
    • The committee will be meeting the first Tuesday of each month at 10:30 a.m. in the College of Education and Human Services in the LSCSM Conference Room, 3rd floor.

    Budget Advisory Committee – Alan Harris
    Paul Eason reported for the committee.
    • The Budget Advisory Committee has scheduled to meet with Janet Owen, Vice President for Governmental Relations, to discuss special budget requests and the upcoming Florida legislative session.
    • The next meeting for the committee will be 12:00 noon on Monday, September 26th, in Building 50, Room 3300.

    Campus Technology Committee – Jose Franco
    • The committee cancelled the meeting on Friday, September 2 due to the university was closed because of hurricane storm. 
    • The committee elected Jose Franco as Chair and elected representatives for Distance Learning Committee, Canvas Transition Committee, and the University Technology Committee via the email election.
    • Upcoming Meeting will be on Friday, October 7th @11:30 a.m. in the OFE/FA Conference Room.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Gordon Rakita
    David Fenner reported for the committee.
    • Agenda Item# 6 – FA 16-40: To change the name from “Coastal Biology Flagship Program to “Coastal and Marine Biology Flagship Program.”
    • There are a number of program faculty who are Marine Biologists.
    • The item was approved to be included on the FA agenda.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee -- Raphael Crowley
    • The committee last met on Wednesday, September 7th @12:00 noon in the OFE/FA Conference Room.
    • The committee selected Dr. Crowley as Chair and discussed the committee agenda given that the committee will no longer be reviewing summer teaching grant applications (as the program has been re-formatted). 
    • The next meeting will be on Wednesday, October 12th @12:00 noon in the OFE/FA Conference Room, Building 16, Room 3108.

    Nominations and Elections Committee – Dana Hart

    Information Item# 1 - Nominations for the Nominations and Elections Committee
    • The Nominations and Elections Committee will be filling positions on their own committee. 
    • They will take nominations starting October 6th Faculty Association meeting and take nominations until Oct 20th, with final nominations being taken at the November FA meeting. At that point, the nominations for the Nominations and Elections Committee will be closed.
    • The committee needs one member from the College of Arts & Sciences, one from Coggin College of Business, one from the College of Computing Engineering, and Construction, and one from Brooks College of Health. There is one At-Large position open for nomination, which will serve as Vice-Chair in 2017 and Chair in 2018. Dr. Hart will become Chair in January 2017. 
    • There has been no meeting since the election in the Spring of 2016. The first meeting this year will be to solicit nominations for the committee. 
    • There was a suggestion to alert Peter Lowe in the Institutional Research office regarding the need for supporting the Faculty Association elections process. 

    Research Council - Aisha Johnson-Jones

    • The committee last met on September 12th. 
    • The committee discussed the research grant application process. The committee received the new guidelines. There are new limitations on how often faculty are able to receive the award based on their rank. Instructors now are able to submit an application and receive a research grant without having to apply with a tenure-track faculty member. The deadline for research grant applications is Oct 21st. 
    • There is one vacancy on the Research Council, which has been forwarded to FA President Pyati. 

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee – Paul Eason

    • Paul Eason was elected Chair of the Strategic Planning Advisory Committee. 
    • The committee will try to meet with the Provost and President during the upcoming meetings.

    Support Services Committee – Brian Kopp
    • The first meeting of the committee is Friday, September 23rd, where the Center for Instruction and Research Technology will discuss their services. 
    • The following meeting will be on Wednesday, October 26th, where the command staff of University Police Department will visit the committee to discuss those services. 
    • In November, scheduled for the 17th, Dr. Cheresa Boston from the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs will visit and discuss the services of the office. 

    Academic Programs Committee – Michael Bovenzi

    • The Academic Programs Committee (APC) will have two meetings in October, on the 6th and one at the end of October, at 10:00 a.m. in the OFE/FA Conference Room. 
    •  Agenda Item# 1 - FA 16-35: CCB – Undergraduate, Creation of Elective Courses
      • There was a suggestion change to the course, Game Theory to Economic Game Theory.
      • The item will be returned to the APC, and the Chair will confirm that the proposed name change is acceptable
      • The item was approved with modification to Log Number 201601-33.
    • Agenda Item# 2 - FA 16-36: CCEC – Graduate
      • The item was approved.
    • Agenda Item# 3 - FA 16-37: BCH – Undergraduate
      • The item was approved, with a modification to Log Number 201605-18, Complex Nursing Concepts and Practice, which should be listed as variable credits in the system.
    • Agenda Item# 4 - FA 16-38: BCH – Graduate
      • The item was approved, with a note to modify the course title from Sexual Issue in Counseling to Sexual Issues in Counseling
    • • Agenda Item# 5 - FA 16-39: BCH – Doctoral
      • The item was approved.

     

  • Consent Agenda
    No consent agenda for October 2016 FA mtg.
  • Others
    •  Oct 11 APCs Deadline for 2017-2018 UNF Catalog.
    • Nominations for 2016-2017 Outstanding Undergraduate, Graduate, & Adjunct Teaching Awards begin on Tuesday, September 20 through Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 5 PM
    • Family Weekend 10/14-15 by Director Jeanne Middleton
  • Adjournment & Next Meeting

    The meeting was adjourned at 1:30 p.m.

    Association Meeting:


    Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 12:15 p.m.
    @Talon Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 4th Floor

    Executive Committee Meeting:


    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 12:15 p.m
    . @ OFE/FA Conference Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Room 3108