Minutes of Meeting

Executive Committee Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The Executive Committee meeting was called to order at 12:15 pm by Faculty Association Vice-President David Fenner. Lunch was provided.

Members Present:

Paul Eason, Aisha Johnson-Jones, Scott Hochwald, Steven Williamson, David Fenner, Dan Richard, Jose Franco, Radha Pyati, Chip Klostermeyer, Dana Hart, Michael Bovenzi, Brian Kopp, Elizabeth Gregg, Raphael Crowley, Alan Harris, Gordon Rakita, Patrick Kreidl

Members Absent:

None.

Ex-Officio Members:

Cindy Chin

Others Attending:

None.
  • Approval of Minutes
    The Executive Committee Meeting minutes from September 20, 2016 were approved as posted on the webpage.
  • Association President – Radha Pyati
    •  Board of Trustees Report – The next UNF Board of Trustees (BOT) meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 25th. The BOT will take up the issue of the evaluation of UNF President John Delaney. The BOT evaluation needs to be completed by Oct 31st. Dr. Pyati has invited dialogue with faculty regarding feedback on President Delaney, and she will provide this faculty feedback to the BOT during their October meeting.
    • The Advisory Council of Faculty Senates – Dr. Pyati met with the Advisory Council of Faculty Senates for the State University System. The Chair of this group is a member of the Florida Board of Governors (BOG). The Council discussed concerns and recommendations about the statewide metric system used to determine funding for the institutions within the State University System. It is the hope of the Council that this information would be considered by the Florida BOG. 
    • Faculty Leadership Meeting with President Delaney – Dr. Pyati will set up a meeting between President John Delaney and faculty leadership, to include the Faculty Association Executive Committee and the Faculty Affairs Committee. The target for the meeting is a 90 minute time block. Dr. Pyati will check to see if Provost Earle Traynham will be able to meet. The FA Executive Committee discussed the goals of the meetings with the UNF President. The following ideas were discussed: 
      • The meetings are intended to facilitate communication between the faculty and the university President. 
      • There should be an agenda for the meeting, and President Delaney, the FA Executive Committee, and the Faculty Affairs Committee should provide agenda items.
      • Themes of questions asked at the Faculty Association meetings could be included as agenda items.
      • Other agenda items could include salaries, strategic planning, statewide metrics, faculty input in decision making, changing student profiles, and student enrollment.
  • New Business

    STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:

    Executive Committee – David Fenner

    2018-2019 Matriculation Calendar – The 2018-2019 Matriculation Calendar has been revised and submitted by the Registrar’s Office. There was a movement to include the Matriculation Calendar on the FA agenda. The Calendar was sent back to Registrar for clarification regarding the Summer C schedule.

    Academic Standards Committee – Steven Williamson
    The last meeting of the Academic Standards Committee was Friday, November 18th. There are no agenda items for the upcoming FA meeting. The October meeting on October 21st will be canceled.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Elizabeth Gregg
    The Adjunct Affairs Committee last met on Tuesday, Oct 4th.

    • During this meeting, the committee met with Marianne Jaffee, Executive Assistant to the Provost and Director of Planning. They discussed the current state of payments for Adjuncts and inquired about how many Adjunct Faculty rely on payments from UNF for adjunct teaching as their primary source of income. Marianne Jaffee will investigate further and inform the committee. 
    • The Committee also discussed whether there could be a competitive pool of money for professional development for Adjunct Faculty, as some departments and programs do not provide professional development money for travel for Adjunct Faculty. They discussed that these funds might also be extended to Instructors who also do not normally have research as part of their assigned duties. 
    • Jay Coleman, Associate Provost for Academic Programs, will attend the regularly scheduled meeting on November 8th. 


    Budget Advisory Planning Committee –Alan Harris
    The next Budget Advisory Committee Meeting will be on Monday, October 24th where the committee will be visited by Jay Coleman, Associate Provost for Academic Programs, and Tom Serwatka, Vice President and Chief of Staff. The committee received input from the Executive Committee on additional topics that could be addressed by the Budget Advisory Planning Committee in future meetings. The Budget Advisory Committee will invite Vice President Shari Shuman to the November meeting.

     

    Campus Technology Committee – Jose Franco
    The committee last met on Tuesday, October 11th. The next scheduled meeting will be held on Monday, Nov 7th at 11:30 AM in the OFE/FA Conference Room. During the October meeting, the Campus Technology Committee reviewed applications for the technology grants and sent recommendations to the Academic Technology Office. In the upcoming meeting, the committee will discuss the application process to refine the process.


    Faculty Affairs Committee –Gordon Rakita
    The meeting of the Faculty Affairs Committee on October 13 was canceled due to the conflict with the Faculty Association October meeting postponed. The committee is scheduled to meet this week, Thursday, October 20th.


    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Raphael Crowley
    The committee last met on Wednesday, October 12th. The committee discussed the Summer Teaching Innovation Institute review process and the Faculty Fellows review process, both programs offered through the Office of Faculty Enhancement (OFE). The committee agreed to assist the Director of OFE with the reviews for this program. The next meeting will be held sometime around Nov 14th, depending on availability of the committee members.

    Nominations and Elections Committee – Patrick Kreidl & Dana Hart
    Elections for the Nominations and Elections Committee – The College of Computing, Engineering & Construction (CCEC) and Coggin College of Business (CCB) as of this date do not have nominations for open slots on the Nominations and Elections Committee. Brooks College of Health (BCH) has two nominations; therefore, one may be switched to the At-Large position. Additional nominations will be solicited at the next FA meeting.


    Research Council - Aisha Johnson-Jones
    The last Research Council meeting was canceled because of Hurricane Matthew. The Council met virtually instead. The Council voted on a Secretary for the Council. The Council extended the deadline for the Summer Research Grants to October 28th. The next meeting will be Wednesday, November 9th.


    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee – Paul Eason
    The Strategic Planning Advisory Committee met with Tom Serwatka to discuss who should be advised by the committee. In the next meeting, the committee will look at Charge for the committee and will hold a number of meetings with the major constituencies to advise the strategic planning process.

    • The Strategic Planning Advisory (SPA) Committee will assemble the advice and information from these meetings and meet with the Strategic Planning Council to provide input. The Chair of the FA SPA Committee serves as a member of the Strategic Planning Council. There is now a smaller group from the Council who will work on the university strategic planning document. The plan is to release this document in the early Spring semester. 

     

    Support Services Committee – Brian Kopp
    The Support Services Committee met on September 23rd with Deb Miller about the Canvas transition. The next meeting is on Wednesday, October 26th, in which they will meet with the Chief of the University Police Department.

     


    Academic Programs Committee – Michael Bovenzi

    The Academic Programs Committee (APC) is expecting many submissions in October. The committee is planning two meetings in October to accommodate the increase in October. The committee decided to process as many proposals as possible to meet the catalog deadline. The Workflow system still has issues with submissions. The APC Chair will be working with Information Technology Services to resolve those issues. The next meeting will be on Thursday, October 27th at 10 a.m.

  • Others
    The committee discussed ideas and suggestions about increasing the amount of dialogue during the FA meetings. These suggestions will be further clarified during future meetings.
  • Adjournment & Next Meeting

    The meeting was adjourned at 1:25 p.m.


    Association Meeting:
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 12:15 p.m. @Talon Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 4th Floor

    Executive Committee Meeting:
    Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 12:15 p.m. @ OFE/FA Conference Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Room 3108