Minutes of Meeting

Executive Committee Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 12:15 AM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The Executive Committee meeting was called to order at 12:15 pm by Faculty Association Vice-President David Fenner.

Members Present:

Paul Eason, Aisha Johnson-Jones, Scott Hochwald, Steven Williamson, David Fenner, Dan Richard, Jose Franco, Radha Pyati, Chip Klostermeyer, Dana Hart, Michael Bovenzi, Brian Kopp, Elizabeth Gregg, Alan Harris, Gordon Rakita

Members Absent:

Raphael Crowley, Patrick Kreidl

Ex-Officio Members:

Cindy Chin

Others Attending:

None
  • Approval of Minutes
    The Executive Committee Meeting minutes from October 18, 2016 were approved as posted on the webpage.
  • Association President – Radha Pyati

    Board of Trustees Update - The Board of Trustees (BOT) Meeting was held on Tuesday, October 25th.

    • The Analytics Group, including Associate Provost Jay Coleman and faculty from a variety of departments, presented on the Statewide Performance Metrics to the BOT. The presentation slides will be posted online soon. Faculty Association (FA) President Pyati will include some of the information from the presentation in response to a question posed to the Faculty Association during a recent meeting. 
    • FA President Pyati received a number of comments from faculty regarding University President Delaney in regard to the scheduled BOT evaluation of President Delaney. Both positive and negative comments from faculty to FA President Pyati were summarized for and presented to the BOT. Concerns included the lack of faculty raises, the incorporation of faculty voice in decision-making, and the relationship between faculty and the Provost’s office. The BOT expressed shock by the fact that UNF faculty are the lowest paid in the Florida system. The BOT will be in conversation with President Delaney on how to deal with faculty raises. Any negotiation of faculty raises will be held with the United Faculty of Florida, which is the official bargaining unit for faculty in Florida. Faculty raises include two issues, the across-the-board raises for all faculty and a group of faculty (estimated at around 50 Assistant and Associate Professors) who are disproportionately affected by adjustments made with the previous contract. Following up on the presidential evaluation, the BOT will meet with President Delaney on Friday, December 2nd, to discuss goals. 
    • The FA Executive Committee and the FA Faculty Affairs Committee members will meet with the President Delaney on Monday, November 28, 2016 @ 3:00 p.m. in the President’s Conference Room, Building 1, Room 2800. These committee members will meet with Provost Earle Traynham on Thursday, November 17th, at 12:30 p.m. in the President’s Conference Room
    • The appointment of Suzie Weng, Assistant Professor of Sociology, Anthropology, & Social Work, as COAS representative to the Research Council was approved.
  • New Business

    STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:

     

    Executive Committee - David Fenner 
    • FA 16-41R: University Matriculation Calendar 2018-2019 (Draft)
      • There was a proposed one-week break between the end of the Summer A term and the beginning of the Summer B term. Based on the current calendar, if a week-long break was to be inserted between the summer terms, the academic calendar would not be consistent with the official date for faculty contracts. The current schedule allows for all faculty contracts to be completed without conflict. There was no change to the proposed matriculation calendar.
       
    • FA 16-42: FA Bylaws – 1st Reading: Addition of New Article Proposal
      • This is a first reading of a new policy related to calls for votes of “no-confidence” in the University President. There was a friendly amendment to set a specific number of faculty or a percentage of faculty. There was an agreement to keep the 40 number to petition for a vote of no-confidence because the number matches the quorum of the FA. There will be additional discussion on this item before a vote. 
      • The item was approved to be placed on the FA agenda
       
    • Information Item – Shorten the Length of Faculty Association Meeting
      • There is a recommendation to move minor changes to courses to the consent agenda of the FA instead of having them on the main agenda. There was concern that there would be a potential for conflicts that would be missed if these items were listed on the consent agenda. There was a recommendation that the FA President highlight the consent agenda items and to remind faculty during the FA meeting to review the consent agenda items. 
      • The subcommittee meeting times will be posted on the screen to provide the information efficiently.
      • Faculty will be invited to submit items to subcommittees for further discussion. This might reduce the number of anonymous questions.
      • This information item is internal to the Executive Committee and will not be presented to the full FA, but will be recorded in the FA Executive Committee minutes.
       

     Academic Standards Committee - Steven Williamson

    • The Academic Standards Committee will be meeting Friday, November 18th with the Registrar, Meghan Kuehner to discuss some issues that have come up through administrative review.


    Adjunct Affairs Committee - Elizabeth Gregg

    • The Adjunct Affairs Committee met with Vice Provost, Jay Coleman, on November 8th to discuss the Statewide Performance Metrics and UNF’s position on these metrics to other state universities. 
    • There will be no committee meeting in December, but the committee will meet twice in January, with dates to be determined.


    Budget Advisory Committee - Alan Harris

    • The Budget Advisory Committee met with Vice Provost, Jay Coleman, and Vice President, Tom Serwatka, regarding the Statewide Performance Metrics. The upcoming meeting in Monday, November 21st, will include a discussion with Vice President, Shari Shuman.


    Campus Technology Committee - Jose Franco

    • The Campus Technology Committee met on November 7th. 
    • The committee discussed Windows 10 and Office 2016, which are available to faculty upon request.
    • Adobe Acrobat and Acrobat Pro licenses are up for renewal and changes. The Campus Technology Committee will draft an information item regarding this issue. 
    • The next Campus Technology Committee meeting will be on Friday, January 13th, 2017 in OFE/FA Conference Room.


    Faculty Affairs Committee - Gordon Rakita

    • The Faculty Affairs Committee launched a survey regarding research at UNF.  The survey has already received several responses.
    • Information Item - Recommitting to Shared Governance
      • The Shared Governance document was forwarded to the administration. On the advice of council, the administration declined to sign the document.    
       
    • Information Item – Request: Mr. John Campion Honorary Degree
    • FA President Pyati received an anonymous question regarding faculty raises. The Faculty Affairs Committee crafted a proposed response to this question and was forwarded to the Executive Committee for input and comment. There was a friendly amendment to the response to improve clarity.


    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Raphael Crowley
            Dr. Pyati reported for the committee.

    • The Faculty Enhancement Committee met on Monday, November 14th. 
    • The committee discussed the review process for Summer Teaching Innovation Institute and the Faculty Fellows program. 
    • The committee also discussed the mission and role of the Office of Faculty Enhancement and its involvement in supporting faculty in the promotion and tenure process.


    Nominations & Elections Committee - Patrick Kreidl/Dana Hart

    • Information Item - Elections of Nominations and Elections Committee
      • The Nominations & Elections Committee is in the process of receiving votes for those nominated to the Nominations & Elections Committee. The results should be reported soon. 


    Research Council - Aisha Johnson-Jones

    • The Research Council met on Monday, November 9th. 
    • The Research Council received 40 applications in total for the Faculty Development Research Grant. The council will meet next on November 28th and will discuss the results of the peer review of the research grants.


    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Paul Eason 

    • At their last meeting, the Strategic Planning Advisory (SPA) Committee met with UNF President John Delaney and Vice President Tom Serwatka. They discussed the current state of strategic planning process and the role of SPA committee in supporting the process. They discussed the intention of the SPA committee holding several fora with a number of constituencies, including faculty, staff and students, regarding the revised strategic plan. There was some question as to whether the SPA committee should be hosting meetings with staff and students rather than with faculty. This question will be addressed during the December meeting.


    Support Services Committee - Brian Kopp

    • The Support Services Committee last met on October 26th. During that meeting, the committee hosted the University Police Department staff, who discussed the Run-Hide-Fight program, which supports the safety of all campus members during an active shooter scenario. 
    • The next meeting of the committee will be on Thursday, November 18th. On that date, the committee will meet with the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs.


    Academic Programs Committee - Michael Bovenzi

    • Met Thursday, November 10th. The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, December 1st. 
    • Agenda Item-FA 16-43: COAS - Undergraduate (New Degree Proposal)
      • This item is a proposal for a new Communication Studies (BA) Major. The Department of Communication currently offers a BS degree. 
      • The item was approved by majority vote (2 nay votes).    
       
    • Agenda Item-FA 16-44: COEHS - Graduate (New Degree Proposal)
      • This proposal is for a Master of Science degree in Higher Education Administration. This program is a conversion of an existing program to a MS degree. 
      • The proposal includes a standing request a new faculty line to support the program. 
      • The item was approved by majority vote (2 nay votes).    
       
    • Agenda Item-FA 16-45: COEHS- Graduate (New Degree Proposal)
      • This proposal is to create a Specialist degree in Education Leadership. No additional resources are requested for this degree. 
      • The item was approved by majority vote.     
       
    • Agenda Item-FA 16-46: BCH - Graduate (New Degree Proposal)
      • This proposal converts a Bachelor of Science of Athletic Training degree to a Master of Science of Athletic Training. 
      • Included in the proposal is the addition of a line for Assistant Professor. The proposal also includes a 2% increase in salary per year. 
      • There was some question regarding whether students are required to have a Bachelor’s degree before being admitted to the Master’s program. 
      • There was a motion to return the package for clarification on the financial details of the additional line as well as for details as to which courses will be converted from the undergraduate program to the graduate program. The motion was passed by majority vote (1 nay vote).     
       
    • Agenda Item-FA 16-47: COAS – Undergraduate
      • This item changes pre-requisites for Biology courses, changing courses in the Coastal Biology Environmental Science Concentration, changes to a prerequisite for the Public Relations Concentration, new courses in the English Department, and a new elective from the History Department, minor changes to the International Studies Minor, and a new elective course from Language, Literatures, and Cultures, a new Digital Humanities Minor in Language, Literatures, and Cultures, several changes to the BA in Spanish Language program of study, a joint analysis program with SAS, changes to the Music Education Major, and several changes to the courses in the School of Music. 
      • There was a question about the pre-requisites for the Biology program, related to the Pre-Med program, Log Number 201605-8. The proposal removes Quantitative Chemistry as a pre-requisite. The proposal was moved with the removal of Log Number 201605-8 to be discussed by the COAS Dean’s office. The item was moved and approved by majority vote.     
       
    • Agenda Item-FA 16-48 COAS – Graduate
      • The item includes a new graduate course in the Biology department and modifications to the Biology major.
      • The item was approved by majority vote.     
       
    • Agenda Item-FA 16-49: CCB – Undergraduate
      • The item includes changes to the International Business Minor, which allows faculty-led study-abroad courses to satisfy requirements for the Minor. It also removes American Sign Language as an option to satisfy the foreign language requirement for the International Business Major.
      • The item was approved by majority vote.     
       
    • Agenda Item-FA 16-50: CCEC – Undergraduate
      • This item includes changes in pre-requisites for some courses.
      • The item was approved by majority vote.     
       
    • Agenda Item-FA 16-51: CCEC – Graduate
      • This item removes the possibility to CIS4251 to be equivalent to CEN6016 in the Computing and Information Sciences Major. 
      • The item was approved by majority vote.    
       
    • Agenda Item-FA 16-52: COEHS – Graduate
      • The Leadership, School Counseling, and Sports Management Department proposes changes to fix language in Sports Management Practicum and Internship. There were new courses added to the program. There are some changes to the Minor in Community Leadership. 
      • The item was approved by majority vote.     
       
    • Agenda Item# 13-FA 16-53: BCH – Graduate
      • This item includes changes to the Global Health Certificate program to allow additional courses to satisfy the requirements of the certificate program. 
      • The item was approved by majority vote.
       

    Consent Agenda – No item.

     

    Others  
       Information Item #5 - Preferred Name Cross-Referencing
       Fall Term Exams Schedule 

  • Adjournment & Next Meeting
    The meeting was adjourned at 1:25 p.m.

    Association Meeting:

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 12:15 p.m. @Talon Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 4th Floor

    Executive Committee Meeting:
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 12:15 p.m. @ OFE/FA Conference Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Room 3108