Minutes of Meeting

Executive Committee Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The Executive Committee meeting was called to order at 12:15 pm by Faculty Association Secretary Dan Richard. Note: The Faculty Association (FA) Vice President, David Fenner, and FA President, Radha Pyati, were not able to attend the meeting. FA Secretary, Dan Richard, conducted the meeting with Faculty Affairs Committee Chair, Gordon Rakita, helping with notes for the meeting minutes.

Members Present:

Steven Williamson, Dan Richard, Chip Klostermeyer, Michael Bovenzi, Brian Kopp, Gordon Rakita, Judith Ochrietor, Elizabeth Gregg, Scott Hochwald, Alan Harris, Paul Eason, Jose Franco,

Members Absent:

Radha Pyati, David Fenner, Raphael Crowley, Scott Landis, Dana Hart

Ex-Officio Members:

Cindy Chin

Others Attending:

None.
  • Approval of Minutes
    The Executive Committee Meeting minutes from February 14, 2017 were approved as posted on the webpage.
  • Association President – Radha Pyati
    Dr. Pyati has the conflict with the Board of Trustees, so she is unable to attend the meeting.
  • New Business

    STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:


    Executive Committee – Dan Richard standing in for David Fenner                   

    1. Agenda Item# 7- FA 17-26: Resolution – Support of the Proposed Expansion of the Sawmill Slough Preserve  
      • The resolution supports the proposal to expand the Sawmill Slough in three areas. Faculty and students use these areas for research, scholarship, and teaching. There currently is no conflicts with these areas and the campus master plan.
      • The item passed by majority vote.
    2. Agenda Item# 8- FA 17-27: Resolution – Opposing the Student Government Proposed Syllabus Bank  
      • The student government proposed and passed a resolution to initiate a syllabus bank that would house past syllabi and make them available by students during registration. The student request would make participation in the syllabus bank by faculty mandatory.
      • The UNF Student Government failed to adequately collaborate with faculty on refining the resolution to make the syllabus bank optional or to protect syllabi behind an “n-number wall.”
      • The item passed by majority vote.
    3. Agenda Item# 9- FA 17-28: Resolution-Opposing Guns on Campus  
      • This resolution is similar to a previous resolution that was passed by the Faculty Association last year. The reason for updating the resolution is to address both new data and currently proposed state legislation regarding guns on college campuses.
      • The item passed by majority vote.
    4. Information Item# 4 - Early Academic Alert System and Midterm Grades  
      • The item was provided in part by the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) and is proposed to be included in the Faculty Association agenda at the April meeting. It includes details about how ACE uses the early academic alert system to follow-up with students and support student success.
      • The item passed by majority vote.
           

    Academic Standards Committee – Steven Williamson
    The Academic Standards Committee met in Friday, March 10th, with Vice President Mauricio Gonzalez and Cheryl Gonzales, Equal Opportunity and Diversity (EOD) Director, regarding an issue with a professor and student where the professor provided a different exam for a student who was taking the exam at the Disability Resource Center that the exam provided for students in class. The committee discussed that exams provided to the Disability Resource Center for students who require accommodations should be the same exam provided to students in class. The committee did not identify any issues with academic freedom in this case. Cheryl Gonzalez would like for faculty to include a statement about avoiding discrimination and information about the EOD office in all syllabi.

     

    Adjunct Affairs Committee - Elizabeth Gregg
    The last meeting of the Adjunct Affairs Committee was in February, where the committee selected the winners of the OT Adjunct Teaching Award.


    Budget Advisory Committee -Alan Harris
    The Budget Advisory Committee will be meeting with Associate Vice President, Jay Coleman, on March 23rd, regarding the budget requests within the university budget process.

     

    Campus Technology Committee – Jose Franco                                                                                   
    The Campus Technology Committee last met on March 3rd. The committee discussed the finalists for the Academic Technology Grants. The next meeting of the committee will be April 7th.

     

    Faculty Affairs Committee - Gordon Rakita
    The Faculty Affairs Committee met the week of March 7th. The committee prepared resolutions on the Sawmill Slough, the Guns on Campus, and the Syllabus Bank issues.

    • Agenda Item# 6- FA 17-25: Outstanding Faculty Community Engaged Scholarship Award Revision  
      • The language of the Outstanding Faculty Community Engagement Scholarship Award requires that a member of the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) Committee serve on the selection committee for the award. The new QEP will not be related to community engagement; therefore, the language of the award needed to be modified to include a faculty member selected by the Center for Community-Based Learning Director.
      • The item passed by majority vote.

     

    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Dan Richard for Raphael Crowley
    The next meeting of the committee will be on Wednesday, March 15th. The committee will further its discussion regarding a one-stop-shop for faculty development.

     

    Nominations and Elections Committee – Dana Hart/Scott Landes (not present)
    No report.

     

    Note: A replacement is needed for Scott Landes, as he will be taking a job at another institution. 

    • Information Item# 2:  Vitae Summaries of 2 Finalists for 2017 Distinguished Professor Award   
      • The Faculty Affairs Committee will work on the language for the nominee packet that is submitted.
      • The item passed by majority vote.
       
    • Information Item# 3:  Faculty Association Standing and University Committee & DP Elections   
      • The item passed by majority vote.

    Research Council - Judy Ochrietor
    The Research Council last met February 15th. The committee met with David Fenner and discussed the recent Research Survey Report. The next meeting is Wednesday, March 15th, where the committee will discuss recommendations from the Research Survey Report.

     

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee – Lauren Newton for Paul Eason
    The Strategic Planning Advisory Council is in the process of setting up meetings for the faculty forum held to address Goal 3, the goal that is most related to faculty issues.

     

    Support Services Committee - Brian Kopp
    The committee will meet on Wednesday, March 15th with the Dean of Students regarding the Supporting our Students (SOS) program. In April, the committee will be meeting with Parking Services. The committee will continue to follow-up with the Bookstore regarding the support for faculty to select textbooks.

     

    Academic Programs Committee - Michael Bovenzi
    The next meeting of the Academic Programs Committee will be Thursday, April 6th.

    • Agenda Item# 1 -FA 17-20: CCB – Undergraduate         
      • This proposal is to create a new minor in Human Resource Management. The proposal includes the addition of one faculty line.
      • The proposal passed by majority vote.
    • Agenda Item# 2 -FA 17-21: CCB – Graduate  
      • The proposal includes changes to the General Business Major including the replacement of pre-requisites, termination of courses that are no longer being used. The proposal also includes changes to the Masters in Accounting.
      • The proposal passed by majority vote.
    • Agenda Item# 3-FA 17-22: CCEC – Graduate  
      • The proposal offers a new course in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for Civil Engineering.
      • The proposal passed by majority vote.
    • Agenda Item# 4 -FA 17-23: COEHS– Graduate  
      • The proposal is to change the name of the concentration to Education Technology Training and Development and to add a new concentration to the program, Early Education Leadership.
      • The proposal passed by majority vote.
    • Agenda Item# 5 -FA 17-24: BCH – Undergraduate  
      • The proposal is for changes to the Bachelor of Science in Health Science, including adding a course and changing existing courses. The proposal also makes changes to the Minor in Public Health, with no changes to the overall credit hours. 
      • The proposal passed by majority vote.
       
    • Information Item# 5: Five Year Course Inactivity Report--Forms No Later than 4/28/2017 from Dr. Michael Bovenzi, APC Chair (April 6, 2017)  
      • Faculty are encouraged to review this list and provide information regarding these courses if the course is to be retained. FA President, Radha Pyati will send out an email notice to faculty.
      • The proposal passed by majority vote.
       
  • Consent Agenda
    None.
  • Others
    - 2017 Spring Term Examination
    - Information Item# 1: Promotion and Tenure Report
    - Information Item# 7: Campus Safety Advisory Update
    - Intercollegiate Athletic Report by Jennifer Kane
    - United Way Campaign by Lisandra Carmichael, Associate Dean of Library
  • Adjournment & Next Meeting
    The meeting was adjourned at 1:15 p.m.

    Association Meeting:
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:15 p.m. @Talon Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 4th Floor

    Executive Committee Meeting:
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 12:15 p.m. @ OFE/FA Conference Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Room 3108