Minutes of Meeting

Executive Committee Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The Executive Committee meeting was called to order at 12:15 p.m. by Faculty Association Vice-President David Fenner.

Members Present:

David Fenner, Dan Richard, Radha Pyati, Chip Klostermeyer, Dana Hart, Michael Bovenzi, Brian Kopp, Gordon Rakita, Judith Ochrietor, Elizabeth Gregg, Scott Landes, Scott Hochwald

Members Absent:

Raphael Crowley, Alan Harris, Paul Eason, Steven Williamson, Jose Franco

Ex-Officio Members:

Cindy Chin

Others Attending:

None.
  • Approval of Minutes
    The Executive Committee Meeting minutes from December 6, 2016 were approved as posted on the webpage.
  • Association President – Radha Pyati

     

    •  Report of the most recent UNF Board of Trustees (BOT) meeting was on Tuesday, January 10th. 
      • Everyone at UNF will need to have Ethics Training. 
      • The BOT discussed UNF’s Strategic Plan. The BOT had questions about how the university might reach the goals, what tactics would be employed. Some BOT members wanted more aggressive goals regarding retention and graduation rates. 
      • The BOT approved the Education Specialist Program, Master of Science in Higher Education, and the Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies. Both were approved
      • During the meeting, the BOT received special reports from the Associate Vice President of Enrollment Services Albert Colom on recruitment. Interim Undergraduate Dean and Associate Vice President for Faculty Resources Karen Patterson also provided a report on the success of undergraduate students, the Early Academic Alert System, and midterm grade policies.
      • The BOT welcomed their newest member, appointed January 2017, Adam Hollingsworth, who previously served as Chief of Staff for Governor Rick Scott. 
    • There was a motion to appoint Thomas Caswell, Director of Public Services, as the Library representative to the Research Council. The motion passed by majority vote.
    • The Faculty Association has contacted President John Delaney to schedule a meeting. The Executive Committee also discussed possible dates to meet with Provost Earle Traynham. The Executive Committee proposed 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 15th. 
    • There was a motion to re-order the Question & Answer period at the Faculty Association Meeting to after the Legislator Calendar. The committee discussed that we could switch the order temporarily to Motion to have it re-ordered for February meeting to test the switch. The motion passed by majority vote.
    • The Executive Committee discussed the Chartwells fund balance. The committee discussed some possible dates for a reception for Faculty Association committee members.

     

  • New Business

    STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:

    Executive Committee - David Fenner 
    • Agenda Item FA 16-42: Faculty Association Bylaws – Adjustment to New Article Proposal, Article IX No Confidence Vote
    • The committee discussed revisions to the language of this proposed bylaw change. The committee discussed the language of “vote” versus “survey” and discussed whether the petition to conduct a vote of no confidence could in any way be anonymous. The committee also discussed the timing of receiving petitions and the need for verification that petitioners are members of the Faculty Association. The resulting language was as follows.

      No Confidence Process

      If 40 members of the Faculty Association (as defined in Article III, Section 1), with membership from at least two different colleges (including the library), seek to conduct a survey of faculty confidence in the University President or a Vice President, they may approach the UNF Faculty Association President with a petition for such a survey. (The Faculty Association President must be able to identify and verify the names on the petition. The petition may be subject to a public records request.) The Faculty Association President will then conduct a survey of the faculty, ensuring confidentiality of participants. The Faculty Association President will report both to the University Faculty and to the Chair of the Board of Trustees (a) the total number of survey participants and (b) the number of responses for and against. No more than one such expression of confidence shall be conducted for any one administrator within a twelve month period.

    Academic Standards Committee - Steven Williamson 

    Scott Hochwald reported for the committee. The next meeting will be Friday, January 20 @12 noon in the OFE/FA Conf Room.


    Adjunct Affairs Committee - Elizabeth Gregg 

    The Adjunct Affairs Committee last met on Wednesday, January 11th. The committee discussed the scope of committee. The committee also discussed the manner of conducting the evaluation for the Adjunct Faculty Teaching Awards.

     

    Budget Advisory Committee - Alan Harris 
    There is no report.

    Campus Technology Committee - Jose Franco 

    Dr. Rakita reported for the committee.

    • The Campus Technology Committee last met on Friday, January 13th. 
    • The committee received an update from The Center for Instruction and Research Technology (CIRT) on the transition to the Canvas learning management system. The report indicated that approximately 60% of courses at UNF are in the Canvas system, which represents about what would be expected for this phase of the transition process. 
    • The committee also discussed revisions to the language for the Academic Technology Grants.

     

    Faculty Affairs Committee - Gordon Rakita
    • The Faculty Affairs Committee will be meeting Thursday, January 19th. 
    • The committee will be adjusting faculty award language for clarification. The committee will be discussing the establishment of a Responsible Investment Committee. The Faculty Affairs Committee will be discussing the results of the research survey and will discuss the process of the campus climate survey.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Raphael Crowley 
    There is no report.

    Nominations & Elections Committee - Scott Landis/Dana Hart 
    • The Nominations & Elections Committee last met on Tuesday, January 10th. 
    • The committee is making preparations for the current nominations period. The committee will meet with the Office of Institutional Research to discuss the process on voting for vacant standing committee positions.

    Research Council - Judy Ochrietor 
    The next Research Council meeting will be on Wednesday, January 18th. The committee will discuss the recent Research Survey Report. 

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Paul Eason 
    There is no report.
     
    Support Services Committee - Brian Kopp 
    • The Support Services Committee will be meeting on Wednesday, January 18th. The committee will meet with Mike Binder, Director of the Public Opinion Survey Lab. 
    • •The committee submitted an information item, “How to access Individual Professional Development Accounts prepared by the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs. The funds can be used for the furtherance of research and sponsored programs.

    Academic Programs Committee - Michael Bovenzi 
    • Agenda Item# 2-FA 17-07: BCH - Graduate (New Degree Proposal)
      • At the last Executive Committee meeting, the committee asked for additional information to justify projected enrollment numbers based on current Bachelor’s Enrollment and a more detailed explanation of the justification for an additional line. Additional information was submitted. 
      • The item was approved by majority vote. 
       
    • Agenda Item# 3-FA 17-08: CCEC – Undergraduate
      • At the last Executive Committee meeting, the committee asked for additional information to justify why students enrolled in the program could receive different credits for taking the same course. Additional information was submitted, indicating that this approach was proposed as a temporary measure to allow individuals still enrolled in the program on the previous catalog to graduate on time while making the change for students entering the program. 
      • The item was approved by majority vote. 
       
    • The next scheduled meeting for the Academic Programs Committee is on February 2nd.


     
  • Consent Agenda
    There is no consent agenda for Feb FA mtg.
  • Adjournment & Next Meeting
    The meeting was adjourned at 1:20 p.m.

    Association Meeting:

    Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:15 p.m. @Talon Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 4th Floor

    Executive Committee Meeting:
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 12:15 p.m. @ OFE/FA Conference Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Room 3108