Minutes of Meeting

Executive Committee Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The Executive Committee meeting was called to order at 12:15 pm by Faculty Association Vice-President David Fenner.

Members Present:

David Fenner, Dan Richard, Radha Pyati, Chip Klostermeyer, Dana Hart, Michael Bovenzi, Brian Kopp, Gordon Rakita, Judith Ochrietor, Elizabeth Gregg, Scott Landis, Scott Hochwald, Alan Harris, Paul Eason, Jose Franco, Raphael Crowley

Members Absent:

Steven Williamson

Ex-Officio Members:

Cindy Chin

Others Attending:

None
  • Approval of Minutes
    The Executive Committee Meeting minutes from January 17, 2017 were approved as posted on the webpage.
  • Association President – Radha Pyati
    1. The Executive Committee reviewed the Faculty Association Budget Proposal for Fiscal Year 2017-2018.
      Agenda Item# 3-FA 17-09: 2017-18 Faculty Association Budget Proposal 
      This budget proposal will be added as an agenda item for the next Faculty Association meeting. 
      • The Fiscal Year 2017-2018 Budget Proposal for Faculty Association was approved.
       
    2. The Chartwells Fund Balance is used to support concessions and meals at Faculty Association committee meetings. The fund will be depleted by the end of this fiscal year, and based on contract negotiations, will not be renewed for next year. 
    3. Gordon Rakita provided an update on the recent meeting of the Florida Advisory Council of Faculty Senates (FACFS)
      • Gary Tyson (representative from FSU), the President of the FACFS, presented on Board of Governors Chair Report. Dr. Tyson noted that the BOG encouraged state institutions of higher education to focus on aligning degrees to jobs, to emphasize recognition of research that results in federal research funding, to focus on access, and to increase focus on online education. The BOG Chair Report also emphasized civic education.
      • It is likely that the Legislature will cut the Distance Learning (DL) fee, perhaps completely. A significant portion of the DL fee at UNF goes to fund staff positions. 
      • There are several bills in the Florida Legislature regarding allowing weapons on college campuses. The FACFS suggested that campuses should restate and re-affirm their positions regarding allowing guns on campus. 
      • The Florida House of Representatives is considering an across-the-board 10% cut for all university budgets as well as cuts to the Public Education Capital Outlay (PECO) funding. 
      • The Board of Governors (BOG) is considering the changing the 9th and 10th metrics, which are chosen by each university Board of Trustees. The BOG discussed making these metrics “reach” metrics, such that the university would only be allowed to receive 7 out of 10 points for those metrics in the first year they are established. The BOG proposes that it selects a menu of possible metrics, the Board of Trustees would select 3 out of the list, and the BOG would make the final selection from the list of 3.
       
    4. The Faculty Association met with President Delaney on Monday, February 13th,, 2017. 
    5. The next meeting with the Provost is scheduled for Wednesday, March 15th at 1:00 p.m. in the Academic Affairs Conference Room. Members of the Faculty Association Executive Committee as well as the Faculty Affairs Committee are encouraged to attend. 
    6. A farewell to Provost Traynham, based on his upcoming retirement, was discussed and planned for the Faculty Association meeting most closely associated with his last month at UNF.
    7. President Pyati asked committee Chairs to write a job description for future Chairs of the committee. Current committee Chairs should send these to President Pyati by May 1, 2017. 
  • New Business

    STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:


    Executive Committee – David Fenner                                                            

    1. Agenda Item# 1- FA 16-42R: FA Bylaws – 2nd Reading: Addition of New Article Proposal – No Confidence Vote Process  
      • In accordance to the content, the title of No Confidence Vote Process is changed to No Confidence Process. This bylaw change is ready for a second reading and vote.
       
    2. Faculty Affairs Committee and the Research Council is working on crafting a statement on research identity for the university. A rough draft will be created and forwarded to the Faculty Affairs Committee and Research Council, then placed on the Executive Committee agenda for discussion in our upcoming meetings.
    3. There was a student complaint to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity regarding make-up exams. Only two universities in the Florida State University Systems, which were opposite in focus and recommendations.  
      • The university currently has a policy on grade appeals (the policy can be found on the UNF website: http://www.unf.edu/president/policies_regulations/02-AcademicAffairs/EnrollmentServices/2_0340P.aspx ). There was a discussion whether this policy would be adequate in addressing this issue. The committee felt that although this policy addresses the student’s ability to appeal a grade after it has been given, it does not address the format of exams provided to the student in order to determine the student’s final grade.
      • The committee asked the Academic Standards Committee to address this issue. The Faculty Affairs Committee agreed to support the Academic Standards Committee if needed. It was noted that the policy should address the application of a consistent academic standard for all students enrolled in the course, and that make-up exams should maintain these consistent standards, regardless of form or content.   
       

    Academic Standards Committee – Steven Williamson
    Scott Hochwald reported for the committee. 

    The next meeting of the Academic Standards Committee will be Friday, February 17th, 2017 at 12:00 noon.

    During the next meeting, Diane Tanner will address an issue with the waitlist process, Megan Kuehner will address a dual degree policy, and Rusty Dubberly will discuss issues relating to the Disability Resource Center.

     

    Adjunct Affairs Committee - Elizabeth Gregg
    The last meeting of the Adjunct Affairs Committee was on February 8th, where the committee discussed the evaluation criteria and applications for the Adjunct Faculty Teaching Award.
    The committee is in need of replacing CCB representative of the committee, and the Chair is looking for replacements.

     

    Budget Advisory Committee -Alan Harris
    The Budget Advisory Committee will be meeting with Ann Hoover, Academic Affairs Budget Director, on Wednesday, February 15th.  The committee will discuss the timing of the university budget process. The committee will use this information to work with the administration around budget issues.

     

    Campus Technology Committee – Jose Franco                                                                                   
    The Campus Technology Committee is scheduled to meet March 10th. The committee might change the meeting to March 3rd. The committee will address the Academic Technology Grants process and timeline.

     

    Faculty Affairs Committee - Gordon Rakita

    • The committee made changes to language for the Faculty Community Engaged Scholarship Awards. Previously, the text indicated that a member of the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) team would serve as a member of the selection committee for the award. Given that a new QEP will be selected soon, the language was changed such that the Director of the Center for Community-Based Learning (CCBL) or faculty designee would serve as a member of the selection
    • Agenda Item# 9-FA 17-15:  Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Awards Revision
      Agenda Item# 10- FA 17-16: Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award Revision

      The Faculty Affairs Committee proposes changes to the Guidelines for the Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award and the Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award to allow summer courses as eligible for inclusion in the candidates supporting documents. This change is to address faculty who have regular teaching assignments during the summer terms. The items were approved by majority vote.
    • Agenda Item# 11-FA 17-17:  Outstanding Adjunct Teaching Award Revision  
      The Adjunct Affairs Committee and the Faculty Affairs Committee proposes minor changes to the Guidelines for the Outstanding Adjunct Teaching Award to clarify language for the award and to make the requirements more clear. The item was approved by majority vote.
    • The Faculty Affairs Committee discussed the make-up exam issue (also discussed by the Executive Committee). 
    • The Faculty Affairs Committee worked on the Campus Climate Survey, which will be distributed this spring semester.
    • The committee received an update on the Research Survey.
    •   Agenda Item # 13 -FA 17-19: Department of Public Health Restructuring Proposal 

      The proposal is to split the Department of Public Health into two departments, the Department of Public Health and the Department of Health Administration. The Department of Public Health (DPH) has been growing steadily. The DPH had twenty-five full-time and part-time faculty in the Fall 2016. Several programs in the department recently received numerous multi-year reaccreditations, supporting continued program growth. The DPH currently represents approximately 40% of the Brooks College of Health (BCH) student enrollment.  The remaining three departments in the BCH each have approximately 20% of BCH student enrollment. This split would create five equal sized departments within the BCH. No additional resources are needed apart from what the College already possesses.  See the attached proposal for full details.  

      P.S.*  Pam Chally, Dean of  Brooks College of Health requested that the proposal to split the Public Health Department be considered at the March Faculty Association meeting.  See the attached communication from Dean Chally.       


       Attachment:  
         

      From: Chally, Pamela
      Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:05 AM
      To: Pyati, Radha <radha.pyati@unf.edu>
      Cc: Lai-Chin, Fong Chuen <cchin@unf.edu>
      Subject: Re: FA mtg Thurs Mar 2

       

      Good Morning, 

       

      I request that the proposal to split the Public Health Department be considered at the March Faculty Association.  This proposal has unanimous support from the College and the affected Department.  The Department is large and unwieldy. It has 5 separate accreditations itself.  With my impending retirement, we believe it is important to finalize the decision.  Thank you.  Pam  

    • The committee debated a proposal to expand the Sawmill Slough Preserve. The committee will hear additional reports from Charles Hubbuch, Assistant Director of Physical Facilities and from the Director of the Environmental Center, Dan Endicott.
    • The committee reviewed the Sanctuary Campus statement proposed for UNF. The committee compared the proposed UNF statement with the statement from Michigan State University. The committee will present the proposed statement to President Delaney and the UNF General Counsel’s Office for feedback and recommendations. The committee discussed and revised the proposed Unity Statement. The statement was originally constructed by the Philosophy & Religious Studies Department. Since then, the statement has been modified. The statement was approved by the Faculty Affairs Committee and was sent to President Delaney, and the statement was returned with minor edits. The final statement to be placed on the Faculty Association Agenda for the March meeting is as follows:
    UNF stands in unity and solidarity with all members of our community, regardless of race, gender, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, disability, or country of origin. We are proud of the diversity in our students, faculty and staff.   We strongly condemn acts of hate and bigotry as antithetical to the university’s core values of mutual respect and civility. Actions and words that seek to deny human beings full membership in the broader moral community on the basis of arbitrary characteristics are intolerable. We stand opposed to violence in language or in action, and we see these as a threat to the mission of UNF as a public university that is committed to intellectual and cultural growth and civic awareness. We pledge to stand with and for those who are the most vulnerable members of our community and to make sure that our students and fellow employees not only feel safe but are safe. We affirm UNF’s unreserved commitment to student success within a diverse, supportive campus culture.  We seek to embody the ideals of a free and democratic society, and we fully support and value each member of our community.
    The statement was approved and will be placed on the agenda for the upcoming Faculty Association meeting.
    Agenda Item# 12 –FA 17-18:  Resolution - Statement of Unity  
    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Raphael Crowley
    The Faculty Enhancement Committee last met on Wednesday, Feb 8 th . The committee discussed the idea of providing a one-stop approach to faculty development. The committee will continue to discuss these ideas at the next meeting. The committee will invite the Provost in April to discuss this topic.

    Nominations and Elections Committee – Dana Hart/Scott Landes
    The Nominations & Elections Committee will continue to take nominations until Wednesday, March 1 st . There are 16 slots remaining to be filled. The committee will continue to reach out to members of the various colleges  to solicit nominations for these vacant positions. The committee has one information item.
    -Information Item# 1: Faculty Association Standing and University Committee Final Nominations

    Research Council - Judy Ochrietor
    The Research Council last met January 18 th . The committee discussed the recent Research Survey Report with Gordon Rakita as a guest. The next meeting is Wednesday, Feb 15 th  at 3:00 p.m., to discuss recommendations from the Research Survey Report.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Paul Eason  
    • The Strategic Planning Advisory Council is in the process of re-writing the mission, vision, and goals based on feedback from a variety of constituents, including faculty and the Board of Trustees. The next meeting of the Council is scheduled for Friday, February 24th, with the goal of having a draft version to send out to the broader UNF community for feedback by the end of February.
    • There will be a specific faculty forum held to address Goal 3, the goal that is most related to faculty issues. Other fora will be held and be open to address other aspects of the mission, vision, and goals.  
    • The call for pre-proposals for the next Quality Enhancement Plan has been distributed. The QEP Development Team invites pre-proposals from the UNF community.
    Support Services Committee - Brian Kopp
    The committee will meet on Wednesday, February 15 th . At the next meeting, the committee will hear from Matt Davidson, Bookstore Manager of the UNF Bookstore. The Executive Committee asked that the Bookstore address how they are supporting faculty in reducing the cost of student textbooks. 
    The committee will have a meeting in March with the Assistant Dean of Students, Michael Kennedy, to discuss the Supporting our Students (SOS) program. In April, the committee will be meeting with Parking Services.

    Academic Programs Committee - Michael Bovenzi  
    • Agenda Item# 2-FA 17-08R:  CCEC – Undergraduate
      • The item addresses changes in the Mechanical Engineering program.
      • The item has been withdrawn. 
       
    • Agenda Item# 4-FA 17-10: COAS – Undergraduate
      • The Department of Communication proposes changing the course “Lying & Deception” from a 3000-level to a 4000-level course. The Department of Mathematics & Statistics is proposing changes to the Mathematical Science Minor, new courses in the Mathematics Major, and adding these new courses to the electives for the Mathematics Major. The Department of the Political Science and Public Administration proposes changes to the Public Administration Minor to make the minor a fast-track minor. The Department of Psychology is removing minor requirements from the Bachelor of Science program and Child Psychology Concentration. The School of Music proposes a new certificate program in Choral Conducting and a new elective course called “Feeder Techniques for Singers.”
      • The item was approved by majority vote. 
       
    • Agenda Item# 5-FA 17-11: COAS – Graduate
      • The Psychology Department proposes changes in the Psychological Science Master’s Degree, including changes to credit hours, changing courses, and modifying elective options.
      • The item was approved by majority vote. 
       
    • Agenda Item# 6-FA 17-12: CCB – Undergraduate
      • The Department of Management is proposing a new minor in Operations Management for Non-Management Majors, with a new course. The Department of Management also proposes to remove MAN4583 from the list as required and replacing it with an elective. The Department of Management also proposes a new minor in Human Resources Management, with new courses added.
      • There was a discussion about the recourses needed for Log 201608-42, a minor in Human Resources Management. There was a motion to remove the item and ask for clarification on whether the added courses will require new resources. There was a vote and approval of removing the Log 201608-42 and voting on the remaining items. This motion was approved by majority vote.
      • Remaining log numbers under the item were approved by majority vote. 
       
    • Agenda Item# 7-FA 17-13: CCEC – Undergraduate
      • The Engineering Department proposes modifying the Civil Engineering Major to the course Introduction to Engineering II course to make the major more accessible to different programs. The Engineering Department also proposes two new technical elective courses.
      • The item was approved by majority vote. 
       
    • Agenda Item# 8-FA 17-14: BCH – Graduate
      The Department of Nutrition & Dietetics proposes changes to the Masters of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics Major, adding two options to the existing options for that program, Interprofessional Certificate and a Certificate in Global Health.
      The item was approved by majority vote. 
    • Information Item#2 - Helpful Resources for Writing Measurable Learning Outcomes
      Leah Carpenter, coordinator of Registrar Office reported that Tallahassee has been paying more attention on the objectives of the new course. Student Learning Outcomes are provided for faculty to consider language in their courses and syllabi. 
    • The next scheduled meeting for the Academic Programs Committee is on Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 10 AM.
  • Consent Agenda
    None.
  • Others
    Campus Safety Advisory Report by John Hale, Assistant Vice President, Physical Facilities
  • Adjournment & Next Meeting
    The meeting was adjourned at 1:35 p.m.

    Association Meeting:
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 12:15 p.m. @Talon Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 4th Floor

    Executive Committee Meeting:
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 12:15 p.m. @ OFE/FA Conference Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Room 3108