Minutes of Meeting

Executive Committee Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The Executive Committee meeting was called to order at 12:15 pm by Faculty Association Vice-President David Fenner

Members Present:

Paul Eason, Steven Williamson, David Fenner, Dan Richard, Jose Franco, Rhada Pyati, Chip Klostermeyer, Dana Hart, Michael Bovenzi, Brian Kopp, Gordon Rakita, Patrick Kreidl, Aisha Johnson-Jones, Raphael Crowley

Members Absent:

Scott Hochwald, Elizabeth Gregg, Alan Harris,

Ex-Officio Members:

Cindy Chin

Others Attending:

None
  • Approval of Minutes
    The Executive Committee Meeting minutes from November 15, 2016 were approved as posted on the webpage.
  • Association President – Radha Pyati
    • The Faculty Association (FA) Executive Committee and the FA Faculty Affairs Committee met with Provost Traynham and with President Delaney. The members were able to express faculty concerns and receive feedback.
    • UNF Board of Trustees (BOT) Meeting
      There was significant discussion regarding faculty raises. There was a presentation by Vice Provost Jay Coleman on providing faculty raises based on the assumption that no new money would be coming from the State of Florida. The proposals involved increasing enrollment, using money from State of Florida Metrics funding for a one-time bonus (there were concerns about how faculty would view the contingency between metric measures and bonuses based on metric funding would be non-recurring), and not replacing faculty lines for retired faculty. There was a commitment to not laying off faculty and not closing programs. The United Faculty of Florida is the bargaining unit for contractual faculty raises. 
    • The BOT discussed President Delaney’s goals, which included a conversation about faculty morale, working with metrics, and addressing issues from the Florida Board of Governors. 
    • There was a discussion about a 2% raise for faculty and staff. There was the recognition that many faculty are supportive of providing staff raises, especially for those staff who fall within the lower third of the income bracket.
    • The Administration is soliciting ways to receive more appropriate faculty input. FA President Pyati sent out an email regarding faculty providing input on a variety of issues. One of the items was moving from a 30 credit hour requirement for Presidential Scholarships to a 28 credit hour requirement. Other ways to seek faculty input include FA meetings, the Council of Deans meeting, there is a PowerPoint from faculty involved in the statewide metrics calculations, etc. 
    • There was some discussion about how to increase communication between the Faculty Association and the United Faculty of Florida (the faculty union). There has not been a meeting between the groups in at least one year. The FA President cannot have individual meetings with the union representation because the FA President is a member of the BOT.
  • New Business

    STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:
        

    Executive Committee - David Fenner 
    • Agenda Item FA 16-42: FA Bylaws – 2nd Reading: Addition of New Article Proposal, Article IX No Confidence Vote
    • There was a suggested change to the language such that the vote request would be “in writing with a signed petition.” The FA President would be aware of the names on the written request, but those names would not be made public. 
    • There was some discussion about the requirement that requesting faculty be from two colleges.
    • There was a request to add “of all faculty with a survey instrument” to the method by which the vote would be conducted.
    • There was a question as to whether a vote-of-no-confidence about a Vice President should be reported to the Board of Trustees. 
    • There was much discussion as to whether 
    • There was a motion to add “in writing” to the end of the first sentence. 
    • The motion passed by majority vote and the item will be submitted as 
    • FA 16-42R: FA Bylaws - 1st Reading

    Academic Standards Committee - Steven Williamson 
    • There are two informal policies that were submitted by the Registrar, Megan Keuhner. 
    • The first item is a statement included in the University Catalog indicating that a faculty member has right to remove a student from a class roster based on non-attendance on the first day of class. This is an Information Item for the Executive Committee.
    • The second item was a modification to information about Military Personnel leave. 
    • The committee also discussed a request to require students to purchase a laptop computer (that met certain standards). There was no consensus on the issue. 

    Adjunct Affairs Committee - Elizabeth Gregg 

    There is no report from Adjunct Affairs.

     

    Budget Advisory Committee - Alan Harris 

    Paul Eason reported for the committee.

    • The Budget Advisory Committee met on November 21st. Vice President Shari Shuman meet with the committee to discuss the university budget. The next meeting is January 18th at 9:00 a.m. in Bldg 50 Rm3300. The committee will be meeting with FA President Radha Pyati and FA Past Presidents, Gordon Rakita and Chip Klostermeyer.

    Campus Technology Committee - Jose Franco 

    The committee has not met since the last FA Executive Committee meeting. The next meeting will be Friday, January 13th, 10:30 a.m. in the FA Conference Room.

    Faculty Affairs Committee - Gordon Rakita 
    • The next Faculty Affairs Committee meeting will on Thursday, December 15th, 12:15 p.m., in OFE/FA Conference Room. The committee will be discussing a Statement of Unity forwarded by the Department of Philosophy & Religious Studies, the Sanctuary Campus movement, the proposal to create a Syllabus Bank for student course selection, to review a preliminary report on the Research/Scholarship survey, and a question about the FA quorum. 

     

    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Raphael Crowley
    • The Faculty Enhancement Committee has not met since the last Executive Committee meeting. The next meeting of the Faculty Enhancement Committee will be in January.

     

    Nominations & Elections Committee - Patrick Kreidl/Dana Hart 
    • The next meeting of the Nominations & Elections Committee will be on January 10th . At the upcoming meeting, the committee will welcome new members to the committee and thank outgoing members. 

     

    Research Council - Aisha Johnson-Jones 
    • The Research Council has been working on collecting reviews from the Summer Research Grant proposals. The remaining decisions about the awarding of grants will be made virtually and announced as soon as possible.

     

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Paul Eason 
    • The committee has been providing information about how to provide feedback on the current draft of the UNF Strategic Plan. The committee will be meeting in January to discuss feedback.

     

    Support Services Committee - Brian Kopp 
    • The committee met with Cheresa Boston from the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) to discuss Individual Professional Development accounts and research grants. On January 18th, the committee will meet with Mike Binder to discuss the Public Opinion Survey Lab. 
    • There was a suggestion that the Support Services might want to follow-up on the Parking Services system for registering vehicles for parking permits. The online system did not seem to be working properly.

    Academic Programs Committee - Michael Bovenzi 
    • Agenda Item# 2-FA 17-01: BCH - Graduate (New Degree Proposal)
    • There was discussion about how the projected enrollment numbers at the Masters level were justified based on current enrollment numbers in the Bachelors program. 
    • There was a motion to send back to justify projected enrollment numbers based on current Bachelors enrollment and a more detailed explanation of the justification for an additional line.
    • Agenda Item# 3-FA 17-02: COAS – Undergraduate
    • There was a revision to the Writing Studies Minor in the Department of English. There were removal of courses from the program of study, addition of courses, and some revisions of existing courses. Languages, Literatures & Cultures Department is recommending changes to the International Studies Major, including new courses, all of which will affect six different concentrations. There were changes to the Religious Studies Major to help students meet requirements in a timely manner. The Department of Physics submitted changes in the Bachelor of Science Physics Major with credit hour changes to Mathematical Physics to add a lab portion. Also, there is a new course proposed called Discovering Physics. The Department of Political Science and Public Administration is proposing to eliminate the Political Science Major- Political Science Fast Track MPA Concentration. The Department of Sociology, Anthropology, & Social Work is proposing to create a new course called Archeological Field Methods.
    • It was noted that the Department of Physics should apply for General Education status for the Discovering Physics course.
    • Item passed with majority vote. 
    • Agenda Item# 4-FA 17-03: COAS – Graduate
    • Sociology, Anthropology, & Social Work Department is requesting to create a new graduate degree, Master of Social Work. There were several new courses proposed to meet the requirements of the program of study. The resources for this new program have been incorporated over the past several years. The program was approved by the Board of Trustees. 
    • Item passed with majority vote. 
    • Agenda Item#6-FA 17-04: CCEC – Undergraduate
    • The Department of Construction Management proposes new Certificate Program of International Construction Management, including a new course History and Culture in International Architecture and Construction. The Department of Construction Management proposes the creation of a new course called Building Information Modeling and proposes a new concentration in Residential Construction within the Building Construction Major, which creates a new course called Advanced Residential Construction. Construction Management proposes changes to Construction Management minor. The School of Engineering proposes changes to prerequisites for courses in the Electrical Engineering Major and the creation of new courses. Also, there are changes to the Mechanical Engineering Major. 
    • There was some concern in the changes for the Mechanical Engineering Major that some students might be taking the same course for different amounts of credit. 
    • There was a motion to pull Log Number 201608-6 and ask the question, “If this change is implemented, are any students receiving different course credit for the same amount of work?”
    • Item was approved by majority vote with removal of Log Number 201608-6.
    • Agenda Item# 7-FA 17-05: CCEC – Graduate
    • The School of Engineering, MS in Mechanical Engineering, proposes making credit hours adjustable for Graduate Research. 
    • Item passed with majority vote. 
    • Agenda Item# 8-FA 17-06: COEHS – Undergraduate
    • Childhood Education, Literacy, and TSOL, proposing several changes to course descriptions and prerequisites. There is a proposal to change the name of the major from Pre-K Primary to Early Childhood Education. The Department of Exceptional Deaf and Interpreter Education proposes a change to the ALS English Interpreter major, requesting a change of courses, adding a new course, and changes to course descriptions. 
    • Item passed with majority vote. 
    • Agenda Item# 9-FA 17-07: COEHS – Graduate
    • The Department of Exceptional, Deaf, and Interpreter Education propose to add a new certificate program in Applied Behavior Analysis. Also from this department is a request for a new certificate in Partnerships for Individuals with Disabilities and Their Families and a change to the ALS Interpreting Major, Interpreter Pedagogy Concentration, which adds courses and changes prerequisites and descriptions. 
    • Item passed with majority vote. 

     

  • Consent Agenda
    • There was a discussion about whether we could move all non-degree program and certificate programs changes to the consent agenda. If so, it would be important to list items by log number.
  • Other Items
    • Information Item# 1: Special Topics and Experimental Courses Policy
    • Information Item# 2: An Important & Urgent Notes from Dr. Michael Bovenzi, APC Chair (attachment)
    • Information Item# 3: A List of the Updated Untaught Courses Submitted by the UNF Records & Registration in October 2016.
  • Adjournment & Next Meeting
    The meeting was adjourned at 2:00 p.m.

    Association Meeting:
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 12:15 p.m. @Talon Room, Osprey Commons,
    Bldg 16, 4th Floor

    Executive Committee Meeting:
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 12:15 p.m. @ OFE/FA Conference Room, Osprey Commons,
    Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Room 3108