Minutes of Meeting

Executive Committee Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 12:15 AM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The Executive Committee meeting was called to order at 12:15 pm by Faculty Association (FA) Vice President David Fenner

Members Present:

Radha Pyati, David Fenner, Steven Williamson, Dan Richard, Chip Klostermeyer, Michael Bovenzi, Brian Kopp, Gordon Rakita, Judith Ochrietor, Elizabeth Gregg, Scott Hochwald, Alan Harris, Paul Eason, Dana Hart,

Members Absent:

Jose Franco, Raphael Crowley

Ex-Officio Members:

Cindy Chin

Others Attending:

None
  • Approval of Minutes
    The Executive Committee Meeting minutes from March 14, 2017, were approved as posted on the webpage.
  • Association President – Radha Pyati

    The Faculty Association (FA) Standing Committee Party will be held on Friday, April 21st 2017 at 2:00 p.m. Please accept our appreciation for your hard work on behalf of the association. 


    Please remember to have your Committee Chair descriptions to the FA President by May 1st. 

     
    Regarding the UNF President search, the member of Board of Governors (BOG), Wendy Link, will serve on the Presidential Search Committee. Other faculty members on the search committee include Karen Patterson, Judy Rodriguez, and Andres Gallo. The search firm committee will meet this week to select a compensation firm for the President’s search. The BOG will need to approve the final candidate that is selected. The target date for the BOG approval is March 2018.

  • New Business

    STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:

    Executive Committee – David Fenner

    Approval of 2017-2018 Faculty Association Schedules
    The item will be included in the May FA Agenda packet.

    Academic Standards Committee – Steven Williamson
    The Academic Standards Committee meeting on 4/14/2017 was canceled. There are no more meeting schedules for the academic year of 2016-2017. 


    Adjunct Affairs Committee - Elizabeth Gregg
    There was no meeting of the Adjunct Affairs Committee this month. The committee will meet in May.
    There was a policy change in Academic Affairs regarding the number of hours Adjunct Faculty are allowed to teach. Such a policy change should have been forwarded to the Adjunct Affairs Committee of the Faculty Association for relevant input from those affected by the policy. No input was solicited by Academic Affairs.


    Budget Advisory Committee -Alan Harris
    The Budget Advisory Committee met Associate Vice President, Jay Coleman, on March 31st. There were 33 new faculty lines requested. The Associate Vice President indicated that about 4 or 5 likely would be provided in the new budget year. There is no meeting scheduled for April. The committee will meet in May.
    The Chair of the Budget Advisory Committee should attend the budget meetings in Academic Affairs. FA President will follow-up with Academic Affairs. 


    Campus Technology Committee – Jose Franco
    Gordon Rakita as Academic Technology Director reported for the committee. The Campus Technology Committee last met on April 7th. The committee discussed Student Response Systems (aka Clickers) and discussed revisions to the Academic Technology Grants. 


    Faculty Affairs Committee - Gordon Rakita
    Agenda Item# 6-FA 17-36: Resolution: Opposing Florida Senate Bill 104
    This resolution opposes the Florida Senate Bill which would list computer coding as satisfying the foreign language requirement.
    The item passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 7-FA 17-37: Outstanding Faculty Community Engaged Scholarship Award Revision
    The item makes minor revisions to the language of the award for clarification.
    The item passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 8-FA 17-38: Distinguished Professor Award Revision
    This revision takes out the “vita” language because people reviewing the candidate packets wanted more of a narrative summary rather than a listing.
    The item passed by majority vote.


    Agenda Item# 9-FA 17-39: OT Faculty Scholarship Awards Revision
    This item adds “and their impact” to the description of scholarly activity.
    The item passed by majority vote. 

    To provide administrative support, future faculty award applications will include a place for the candidate to list her/his current title. All faculty award applications will include as agenda items. 


    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Raphael Crowley

    Dan Richard reported for the committee. The next meeting of the committee will be on Thursday, April 20th. The committee will further its discussion regarding a one-stop-shop for faculty development looking at data already collected regarding faculty preferences. 


    Nominations and Elections Committee – Dana Hart

    A replacement is needed for Scott Landes, as he will be taking a job at another institution. There was a tie in voting for the Faculty Affairs Committee positions. A coin toss was completed, according to bylaws, to determine the selected candidate. The candidate selected was Stacy Boote.
    - Information Item# 1 -Faculty Association Standing and University Committee 2017-2019 & 2017 DP Election Results
    - Information Item# 2 -2017-2018 Committee Directories


    Research Council - Judy Ochrietor

    The Research Council last met Wednesday, March 15th, where the committee discussed recommendations from the Research Survey Report. The committee will not be meeting over the summer, but will meet next in September.


    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee – Paul Eason

    The Strategic Planning Advisory Committee hosted a faculty forum regarding Goal 3, where 17 faculty attended. The faculty in attendance provided constructive feedback. The faculty would like to thank Tom Serwatka for supporting the meeting. 

     
    Support Services Committee - Brian Kopp
    The committee will meet on Wednesday, April 18th, and the committee will meet with Parking Services. 


    Academic Programs Committee - Michael Bovenzi
    The last meeting of the Academic Programs Committee (APC) will be Thursday, April 6th. The next meeting is April 27th. The APC Chair for the upcoming year will be Kim Cheek from the College of Education and Human Services. The Secretary for the APC will be Andrea Arikawa from Brooks College of Health.

    Agenda Item# 1 -FA 17-29: COAS – Undergraduate
    This proposal is to create a new course, Social Media Management. There was a proposal for a new degree program in Communication Studies.
    There was the difference between the BA and BS degrees in Communication
    The Log Number 201605-17 needs to conform to the original Log Number 201601-35, passed on 12/01/2016, so 201605-17 of Communication was pending.
    Changes need to be submitted for the package to move forward.
    The proposal passed by majority vote with this modification.

    Agenda Item# 2 -FA 17-30: CCB – Undergraduate

    The proposal includes a new elective course called Service Operations Management.
    The proposal passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 3-FA 17-31: CCEC – Graduate
    The proposal allows students to take thesis credits at a variable level over semesters for the Civil Engineering Major.
    The proposal passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 4 -FA 17-32: BCH – Graduate

    The item includes two new elective courses in the Clinical and Applied Movement Sciences.
    The proposal was passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 5 -FA 17-33: US – Undergraduate
    The proposal offers a new course called as First Year Seminar under the Undergraduate Studies program. The seminar course will be offered for variable credits, 0-3 credits.
    The proposal was sent back to Undergraduate Studies through the APC to remove the variable credit option.


    Agenda Item# 6 – FA 17-34: 5 Year Untaught Courses Review – No Changes (2017 List)

    The item includes a request to retain a course, Weight Management and Nutrition, in the Nutrition and Dietetics program, despite the fact that this course has not been taught in five years.
    The proposal passed by majority vote.


    Agenda Item# 7 -FA 17-31: CCEC – Graduate
    School of Engineering – Civil Engineering (Log# 201701-22) & Mechanical Engineering (201701-23), both are tabled for the corrections and returned to the AP Committee.

  • Consent Agenda
    None.
  • Others
    Information Item# 3- Intercollegiate Athletic Committee Remarks Update
    Information Item# 4- 2016-2017 Faculty Awards University Selection Committee Members
    Information Item# 5- 2016-2017 OT Undergraduate College Screening Committee Members
    Information Item# 6- 2016-2017 OT Graduate College Screening Committee Members
    Information Item# 7- 2016-2017 OT Adjunct College Screening Committee Members
    2016-2017 Faculty Award Winners
    Parking Advisory Council Report by Ashley Faulkner (not yet submitted)
    A Summary of Faculty Awards Nominations (2016-17)
    A Report of 2016-2017 Faculty Award Awards
    Meeting Time Changed During the Summer Terms
  • Adjournment & Next Meeting
    The meeting was adjourned at 1:30 p.m.

    Association Meeting:
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 12:45 p.m. @Talon Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 4th Floor

    Executive Committee Meeting:

    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 12:45 p.m. @ OFE/FA Conference Room, Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Room 3108