Department of Public Health Restructuring Proposal
To split the Department of Public Health into two departments: Department of Public Health and Department of Health Administration
- The Department of Public Health (DPH) has been steadily growing: there were twenty-five full time and part time faculty in Fall 2016.
- We anticipate continued program growth due to the following recent accreditations.
- The Masters in Public Health program received the maximum 7 year reaccreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) through 2021.
- The Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program received the maximum 8 year reaccreditation by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) through 2022.
- The Bachelors in Health Administration program received the maximum 6 year recertification by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) through 2021.
- The Masters in Health Administration program received the maximum 7 year reaccreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME) through 2023.
- The DPH currently represents approximately 40% of the Brooks College of Health student enrollment. The remaining three departments in the Brooks College of Health each have approximately 20% of BCH student enrollment.
- This split would create five equal sized departments within the Brooks College of Health.
Resources Needed: None apart from what the College already possesses.
- The offices and faculty of these two departments are co-located on the third and fourth floor of the Brooks College of Health, so no physical moves will be required. A location has been identified for the office space for the Chair of the new Department of Health Administration as well as office space for the Office Manager of the new Department of Health Administration.
- Existing staff would be divided between the two new departments.
- Existing operating expense budgets would be divided between the two departments.
- The only cost for this split would be the creation of a new Department Chair position. It is anticipated that the Chair for the Department of Health Administration would be filled by an internal candidate. The additional cost for the conversion to full time and a stipend for the new Department Chair position will paid from the Brooks College of Health rate reserve.