Information Item# 4 - Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee (2016/2017 - Sept)
Graduation - First Baccalaureate Degree Final Draft
Policies & Regulations
Academic Affairs: Enrollment Services
Graduation - First Baccalaureate Degree Requirements
Major Revision of Existing Policy
Minor/Technical Revision of Existing Policy
Reaffirmation of Existing Policy
Academic Affairs / Enrollment Services
I. OBJECTIVE & PURPOSE
To establish criteria for awarding the first baccalaureate degree.
II. STATEMENT OF POLICY
Graduation from UNF is awarded upon satisfactory completion of the following minimum requirements:
- Apply for graduation by the deadline indicated in the University Calendar.
- Faculty Recommendation: Each candidate must be recommended for the degree by the appropriate college faculty.
- Total Hours: A minimum of 120 credit hours must be completed for the baccalaureate degree.
- Course Requirement: Each candidate must successfully complete all degree requirements outlined in the University catalog and program of study.
- Upper Level Hours: A minimum of 48 upper-level credit hours (30 for RN-BSN) must be completed. Upper-level courses are those designated as junior- or senior-level work by the issuing institution.
- Residence Hours: Students must complete a minimum of 25 percent of the overall required credit hours and half of the required major courses at UNF for the degree sought at UNF. The appropriate department may decide on a higher percentage of credit hours and/or a higher percentage of major courses completed at UNF and may define 'major courses'.
- All incomplete and non-reported grades must be resolved in order to graduate.
- Upper division undergraduate credit hours obtained while enrolled in an approved UNF study abroad program will be counted in the upper level credit hours required to obtain a baccalaureate degree provided the instruction is offered by approved UNF faculty.
- Summer Enrollment: Pursuant to the Florida Board of Governors regulation 6.016 Summer Session Enrollment, all students entering a university in the State University System with fewer than 60 semester hours shall be required to earn at least nine semester credit hours in one or more summer sessions at one of the state universities in Florida before graduation. The University president or his designee may waive the application of this regulation in cases of unusual hardship to the individual.
- Academic Average:
- UNF- A minimum total institutional GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale must be earned (2.5 for most College of Education and Human Services majors), as stated in the "Academic Average (GPA) Policy': and
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale must be earned, (2.5 for most College of Education and Human Services majors), as stated in the "Academic Average (GPA) Policy."
- General Education Program: The appropriate general education program requirements must be completed.
- Financial Obligations: Students must pay all financial obligations to the University.
- Foreign Language Requirement: Students must meet the provision of Florida Statute 1007.262 regarding the statewide foreign language requirement. Students must have completed two sequential foreign language courses in high school or at the postsecondary level (8 semester hours). American Sign Language I and II is an approved sequence per Florida Statute 1007.2615.
All requirements stated in this section are minimums and are not meant to limit the planning of a degree program for any student.
Baccalaureate Degree with Changes (Edit Copy)