Information Item # 2: Submitted by Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (2016/2017 - Feb)


How To Find Your Available Balance

2 Ways to Check:



For Principal Investigators (PIs): An IPD is an Individual Professional Development account. An IPD has funds under the control of the PI that are not a grant, contract or other agreement which restricts the use of the funds to a specific activity of purpose required by a sponsoring agency. Funds received through an IPD can be used for activities/commodities which promote and enhance the furtherance of research or sponsored programs. 
Each IPD is assigned a Banner index number. An IPD begins with a 25XXXX index number. The IPD can be utilized by the PI as long as he/she is an employee of the University. When an employee terminates with the University, any unused funds remaining in an IPD are returned to the Research Reserve and used to promote research endeavors for the University.
An IPD receives funding through the residual funds from fixed-price agreements and F&A (indirect) cost distribution. Currently, the PI or Co-PI receives in their IPD 10% of the recovered F&A on each sponsored project. The revenue and budget for IPDs are posted real time after a charge is posted to the grant ledgers. 
For Departments/Colleges: A Development account is assigned to a college or department with a 25XXXX index number. Development accounts also receive funding as a result of the F&A distributed by C&G projects. Similar to an IPD, the development account must be used for activities which promote and enhance the furtherance of research.






NOTE: Any type of expenditure that is related to the development and administration of research and to the professional development of faculty generally is allowable. Examples of allowable expenses by account category are listed below, but the list should not be considered to be limited only to those shown. Case-by-case review and approval by ORSP may be obtained for other expenditures.




Summer salary for faculty

Additional salary for regular assigned work

Supplemental compensation for faculty for research effort


Student or OPS wages


Travel related to professional development or research development


Food: meals and refreshments for events supporting research or professional development




Memberships and subscriptions