2011 Student Leadership Summit
The 3rd Annual Summit was held on October 28, 2011. This Summit's theme was Go There! Transforming Values into Action. See the Summit Program Booklet to see session descriptions, presenter bios, and more!
Summit Program Booklet
Keynote Speaker, Caitlin Kelley, founder and president of Africa Volunteer Corps, will chronicle her journey as a graduate of African History at Northwestern University to conceiving the idea for what will become a global initiative with enormous possibilities for positive social change. Before starting AVC, Ms.Kelly studied at several schools during her year abroad in Paris. While in Paris, she translated at the Center for African Studies at École des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales. Don’t miss the opportunity to hear world-renown professional tennis player, MaliVai Washington, presents Inside the Philanthropist’s Circle. Mr. Washington’s website reveals the powerful precepts he holds to be true, “By correlating success on the court with success in life, we foster leadership, sportsmanship, self-esteem, confidence, discipline, accountability and the value of hard work, teamwork and individual effort.”
Extraordinary Breakout Sessions offered:
- Social Media: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, with Jessica Thomas, owner of Thomas Marketing Consulting;
- Failure is a Stepping Stone, with VIP entrepreneurs Greg Bruce, Dwight Cooper and Teresa Myers, facilitated by Marcia Ladendorff.
- Managing Work/Life Balance, with Dr. Shannon Perry, executive director of The Boys and Girls Clubs of North East Florida and Dr. Lucy Croft, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs (UNF);
- Making a Difference: Turning Your Passion into Action, with Joan Hecht, founder and president of the Alliance for The Lost Boys of Sudan, along with several "Lost Boys" of the Alliance;
- Leadership on Campus and Beyond, Rachael Tutwiler, former UNF Student Body President and Manager for Community Engagement with the Jacksonville Public Education Fund;
- A View from the Balcony: How Actions Shape our Values, with panel of UNF Student Leaders and Alumni, faciltated by Greg Bruce and Dr. John Frank