Press Release for Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Media Contact: Joanna Norris, Director
Department of Public Relations
According to the latest statewide University of North Florida poll, adult residents in Florida support allowing honorably discharged veterans from any state to pay in-state tuition when attending Florida public universities (69 percent). In addition, 60 percent supported funding $321 million to pay for previously approved facilities upgrades to state universities. Additionally, more residents support (50 percent) than oppose (40 percent) allowing undocumented students who currently live in Florida to pay in-state tuition when attending Florida public universities.
Concerning state funding of public universities, the mean response from residents was 63 percent. Currently, the state contributes slightly more than 50 percent. When asked how to handle the increasing costs of higher education, 53 percent of Florida residents felt the state should increase funding for public universities. Only 20 percent of residents felt students should pay higher tuition rates, while 14 percent said universities should ration existing resources to meet increasing costs.
The survey was conducted through the use of a 27-station telephone polling laboratory at UNF. A polling sample was selected through the use of random-digit-dialing methodology. A cell phone sample was used to increase representation. Age, gender, race, education and party registration were weighted to the most recent U.S. census data, as well as to statistics from the State of Florida Divisions of Elections. The survey was conducted between Thursday, March 6, and Sunday, March 16, and includes 565 adult residents of the state of Florida (+/- 4.12 percent). Approximately 50 trained interviewers participated in the data collection.
Below are the full results. For further information or questions about methodology, contact Dr. Michael Binder, UNF assistant professor of political science, at (904) 620-1205 or
university located on an environmentally beautiful campus, offers students who are dedicated to enriching the lives of others the opportunity to build their own futures through a well-rounded education.
*Data is weighted by age, gender, race, education and party registration.
Do you support or oppose allowing honorably discharged veterans from any state to pay in-state tuition when attending Florida public universities?
March 2014 (N=565)
Don’t Know/No Answer
Do you support or oppose allowing undocumented students, who have lived in Florida to pay in-state tuition when attending Florida public universities?
Do you support or oppose funding $321 million to pay for previously approved facilities upgrades for state universities?
When it comes to funding for public universities, prior to 2008 the state paid for approximately 75 percent of the costs of public universities, and student tuition covered the remaining 25 percent of the costs. Currently the state pays about 50 percent of the costs, with student tuition covering the remaining 50 percent. What percentage of the cost of funding public universities should the state pay for?
When it comes to funding state universities, costs tend to increase annually. Which of the following options do you support the most?
Keep tuition rates the same for students and increase the amount of state funding for public universities.
Keep tuition rates and state funding the same and have universities ration existing resources, which may impact faculty positions, class sizes or other resources.
Have tuition rates increase up to the national average to keep up with the cost of providing education.
Have tuition rates decrease and proportionally increase the amount of state funding for public universities
Something else ________
Are you a registered Democrat, Republican, No Party Affiliation or are you not registered to vote?
No Party Affiliation and Others
Not Registered to Vote
What is your age?
What best describes your racial or ethnic background?
White or Caucasian
Black or African-American
Hispanic or Latino
What is the highest grade in school or year of college you have completed?
Less than high school degree
High School Graduate
What is your annual household income?
Less than $25,000
$25,000 to $50,000
$50,000 to $75,000
$75,000 to $100,000
Copyright © 2014 University of North Florida1 UNF Drive | Jacksonville, FL 32224 | Phone: (904) 620-1000
Contact | Emergency | Privacy | RegulationsDisability Accommodations