Brian Morgan, DirectorAthletics Media Relations(904) 620-4027
Brian Morgan, Director
Athletics Media Relations
The University of North Florida Athletic Department will induct its 2012 class of the UNF Hall of Fame Presented by THE PLAYERS Championship on Oct. 8 at UNF Arena. The class features standouts from six different sports including the inaugural inductions for three athletic programs.
Koran Godwin (men’s basketball), Tracy Jester (softball) and AJ Romano (men’s soccer) all become the first student-athlete from their respective sports to earn Hall of Fame accolades. Joining the trio are former standouts Adriana Iraza (women’s tennis), Romy Krueger (women’s track and cross country) and David Olave (men’s tennis).
“Hall of Fame weekend is always an exciting time for us,” said UNF Athletic Director Lee Moon. “North Florida athletics has a strong tradition of success and talented student-athletes and each year we continue to highlight the best-of-the-best in Osprey history. This class is a tremendous reflection of the caliber of players that have been part of UNF’s athletic development. We are also proud to be inducting the first honorees for three more of our athletic programs.”
Goodwin, who played for the Ospreys from 1999-2002, finished his career with 1,513 points and remains the program’s all-time scoring leader. Ranking among the career and single season leaders in a majority of statistical categories, Goodwin was a two-time All-Peach Belt Conference selection and was twice named the PBC Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year.
He will be joined by Isaza, who was a two-time ITA All-American at UNF, playing for the women’s tennis program from 1993-94. An All-Sunshine State Conference selection, she held the individual No. 1 ranking in the country at one point in her career and helped lead the Ospreys to the 1994 NCAA Division II title.
A standout on the softball diamond from 1999-2000, Jester collected an trophy case full of honors including first-team All-American, All-South Regional Tournament twice along with a pair of first-team All-Peach Belt Conference. She was a PBC Presidential Honor Roll member and finished her career ranked among the program leader in several offensive statistics.
Krueger was a six-time NCAA All-American in track and also earned All-American honors in cross country three times. She captured the 1,500m national championship in 2003 and was the Peach Belt Conference Runner of the Year that season.
A two-time ITA All-American honoree, Olave garnered ITA National and Regional Senior Player of the Year honors in 2003. A two-time Peach Belt Conference Player of the Year, he ranked No. 2 in NCAA Division II singles in his senior season at UNF.
Romano rounds out the 2012 inductees, having played on the men’s soccer team from 1993-96. A two-time All-Sunshine State Conference and 1996 NSCAA/UMBRO All-South Region selection, Romano finished his career as the program’s all-time leader in both goals and points.
The 2012 UNF Hall of Fame Presented by THE PLAYERS Championship presentation will begin with a reception at 6:30 p.m. followed by the presentation dinner ceremony at 7:30 p.m. Tickets to the event are $25 per person and are available by contacting UNF Coordinator of Development Chris Crabtree -- (904) 620-1891 or email@example.com.
The 2012 UNF Hall of Fame Presented by THE PLAYERS Championship Inductees
KORAN GODWIN – Men’s Basketball
• Peach Belt Conference Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year (2001-02; 2000-01)
• Two-Time First Team All-Peach Belt Conference (2001-02; 2000-01)
• Peach Belt Conference Player of the Week (Jan. 22, 2001; Dec. 18, 2000)
• Member of the North Florida 1,000 Point Club, scoring 1,513 points
• Finished career ranked in the North Florida Single Season Top 5 in points, scoring average, field goals made, field goals attempted, free throws made, free throws attempted and free throw percentage
• Finished career ranked in the North Florida Career Top 10 in points, scoring average, field goals made, field goals attempted, three point field goals made, three point field goals attempted, free throws made, free throws attempted, free throw percentage, rebounds, steals, games started and minutes played
"I am honored to be inducted into the University of North Florida Hall of Fame. This accomplishment validates not only my success, but the success of the UNF basketball program. UNF provided me with a quality platform that gave me the opportunity to perform on and off the basketball court. I am proud to be an Osprey."
ADRIANA ISAZA – Women’s Tennis
• Helped UNF to a Division II National Title in 1994
• Ranked No. 1 in the country individually
• ITA All-America in 1993 and 1994
• All-Sunshine State Conference in 1994
• Helped the Ospreys to the Sunshine State Conference title and a No. 4 national ranking in 1994
• Advanced to the semi-finals of the ITA Championships in both singles and doubles
"I am enormously pleased to be honored in this way by UNF. My experience at UNF, with the University, the coaches and my teammates helped shape my career and life in a way that is immeasurable. I am grateful for all my experiences there."
TRACY JESTER – Softball
• First Team All-American in 2000
• All-South Region Tournament in 1999 and 2000
• First Team All-South Atlantic Region in 2000
• Two-Time First Team All-Peach Belt Conference (1999; 2000)
• Peach Belt Conference Player of the Week (March 10, 1999; March 15, 1999)
• Peach Belt Conference Presidential Honor Roll in 2000
• Finished career ranked in the UNF Single Season Top 10 in batting average, slugging percentage, on-base percentage, hits, home runs, RBI, total bases, walks, intentional walks, total chances and double plays turned
• Finished career ranked in the UNF Career Top 10 in batting average, slugging percentage, on base percentage, home runs, RBI, total bases, walks, intentional walks, fielding percentage and putouts
"I am thankful and blessed to have had the opportunity to play for the University of North Florida, to play and learn from some of the best coaches and most of all the support of my loving family."
ROMY KRUEGER – Women’s Track & Cross Country
• National Champion in the 1,500m in 2003
• All-American in cross country in 2001, 2002 and 2003
• All-American in indoor track & field in 2002, 2003 and 2004
• All-American in outdoor track & field in 2002, 2003 and 2004
• Peach Belt Conference Runner of the Year (2003)
• Peach Belt Champion in 2003
• All-Peach Belt Conference in 2001, 2002 and 2003
• Helped North Florida capture the 2001 and 2003 Peach Belt Championships
• Peach Belt Conference Presidential Honor Roll (2002, 2003, 2004)
"I was happy to hear that I was being inducted. I really enjoyed my time as an UNF athlete. Although I was happy to graduate, I was also very sad to leave. I miss college competition. So, it's great that the simple act of going on a run, which I loved so much, and did because it made me feel happy, is the reason for being recognized.”
DAVID OLAVE – Men’s Tennis
• All-Peach Belt Conference 2002 and 2003
• Ranked No. 2 singles player in Division II in 2003
• ITA All-America in 2002 and 2003
• ITA National and Regional Senior Player of the Year in 2003
• Peach Belt Player of the Year in 2002 and 2003
• Helped Ospreys to Peach Belt Conference Title in 2003
"It is an honor to be presented with this distinguished award. I had great memories from the seasons I competed and shared with the team. They are memories that will last a lifetime."
AJ ROMANO – Men’s Soccer
• Finished career ranked first in the UNF record book in career points (92) and goals (37)
• His 17 goals, including four match-winning goals, in 1996 was a UNF record for most goals in a season
• Finished career ranked in the North Florida Career Top 10 in matches played, assists, shots, shots on goal and match-winning goals
• Two-Time All-Sunshine State Conference
• 1996 NSCAA/UMBRO All-South Region
• Helped the Ospreys to three double-digit win seasons and 40 total victories in four years
• Led North Florida to the 1993 Division II District Title as a freshman
“I am honored to be the first soccer player inducted into the UNF Hall of Fame. The program has evolved over the years, and I am excited to be part of the future.”
Copyright © 2012 University of North Florida1 UNF Drive | Jacksonville, FL 32224 | Phone: (904) 620-1000
Contact | Emergency | Privacy | RegulationsDisability Accommodations