The deadline for Spring 2018 Research Grants is Wednesday, March 14.
Previous Research Grant recipients.
The Office of Undergraduate Research provides grants to assist both students and faculty with research conducted at UNF. Each Research Grant is up to $2,000; students can receive up to $1,000 and faculty can receive up to $1,000. These grants are competitive and will be reviewed by a committee of faculty at UNF who have a history of successful research. Funds from these research grants are to be used for research purposes only and should enrich the undergraduate research experience for students at UNF. Faculty and students are eligible to receive a research grant from OUR once every two years. There are two grant deadlines per year which will supply funding for the following semester: October (Spring funding) and March (Summer/Fall funding). Fall grant funds will be available in the end of the following January and Spring grant funds will be available in the beginning of July or end of September, depending on the student's enrollment status.
Research Grant Application
Research Grant Rubric
For students to be eligible to receive a Research Grant from the Office of Undergraduate Research, they must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be full-time, degree-seeking student
- Student must have at least a 2.5 GPA
- Student must be working with a committed faculty member
- Project cannot be a class project
- Student must present at Showcase of Osprey Advancements in Research and Scholarship (SOARS) and the Florida Undergraduate Research Conference (FURC)
- Students cannot apply for a research grant in their final semester at UNF
- Students must agree to submit a record of spending at the end of the fiscal year
- Students must agree to complete a post award survey no later than two weeks after requested
- Students cannot use funds from research grants to attend FURC
- Preference will be given to students not currently receiving funding from other sources (e.g., previous OUR grants, faculty mentor funding)
- Student must sign the Scholarship acceptance letter, which will be provided by OUR.
Students who fail to meet one or more of these requirements will be ineligible to receive the grant. Students who do not present at SOARS or submit record of spending and/or post award surveys will be ineligible to receive funding from OUR for the remainder of their time at UNF.
For faculty to be eligible to receive a Research Grant from the Office of Undergraduate Research, they must meet all of the following requirements:
- Faculty must agree to only use funds for student research and student travel (e.g., lab materials, data collection, equipment, etc.)
- Faculty must agree to submit a record of spending at the end of the fiscal year
- Faculty must agree to complete a post award survey
- Faculty must see that his or her student(s) comply with the requirements listed above
- Preference will be given to faculty members not accepting these funds as a stipend
Faculty who fail to meet one or more of these requirements will be ineligible to receive the grant. Faculty who fail to submit a record of spending and/or the post award survey will be ineligible to receive funding from OUR for 5 years. Additionally, if the faculty members' student(s) do not present at SOARS, the faculty member(s) will be ineligible to receive funding from OUR for 5 years.
Who reviews the grants?
Our grant reviewing committee is made up of several faculty members from every college at UNF. These faculty are engaged in research with undergraduates and have written and received numerous grants. Our committee will review the grants using the rubric above. Once all grants have been scored, each applicant will receive his or her graded rubric in an email. Applicants will not know which committee member reviewed their grants.
For additional guidance on writing a successful grant proposal, the following proposal from Fall 2016 received the highest score from our review committee.