Cross-Cultural Educational Forums
Hosting open, collaborative discussions about important issues facing the world today brings the community closer together. OneJax regularly organizes panel discussions and community forums, drawing insight and input from a broad range of religious, cultural and community leaders.
Inclusion Series: Activate Your Voice: Fostering inclusive civil discourse in Jacksonville
The second season of the OneJax Inclusion Series will focus on civil discourse as a key component for building a more inclusive community. After all, if we aren’t willing to listen to our neighbors’ experiences, then inviting them to the table is pointless. Uncivil discourse harms communities by inflaming tensions and heightening distrust. While a society that works for everyone might be a lofty goal, such efforts truly begin when every person with a stake in the community is offered a platform to express their opinion without fear of retribution or ridicule.
The very idea of inclusion – the state of being valued, respected and supported – only exists within a civil society. Moreover, inclusion requires us to focus on the needs of every person, which includes ensuring the right conditions are in place for all individuals to achieve their full potential. When practiced with fidelity inclusion is reflected in a community’s culture, practices, and relationships in support of ALL its citizens.
In metaphorical terms, diversity is a mix of ingredients; inclusion is the act of placing those ingredients in the same bowl; and civil discourse is the mechanism for making sure the mixture works well together.
Goals for the Inclusion Series:
- Provide a safe space for participants to have a conversation about inclusion
- Increase individual and community understanding about inclusion
- Foster dialogue, which may not change minds, but will promote opportunities to hear different perspectives
- Promote personal responsibility for creating a more inclusive community, which is the work of all residents in the places where they live, work and play
- Stimulate systems change through dialogue and personal commitment
- Encourage participants to continue the conversation with their friends, family, neighbors and colleagues
- November 2, 2017 (Featuring Nina Waters and Dr. Parvez Ahmed)
- January 25, 2018
- March 15, 2018
- May 3, 2018
More details on these events will be coming soon.
Contact OneJax at firstname.lastname@example.org or 904-620-1529.