In addition to the OCT and OCT Residential Program The Arc Jacksonville, Inc. offers an array of other innovative services for persons with developmental disabilities throughout their various Jacksonville locations. Employment, mental health/behavioral, advocacy, and residential are a few of the many programs offered.
The Arc Jacksonville believes anything is possible and partners with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities to discover possibilities for a fulfilled life. Together we unlock potential for achievement at home, at work, and at play. Each day, The Arc Jacksonville helps approximately 400 people recognize and unlock the possibilities within themselves. At the same time, The Arc helps those who support adults with disabilities make informed choices about services and service providers. The Arc Jacksonville provides programs and services at three main locations, including the UNF campus, and five group homes. We provide information and support to families throughout Northeast Florida regarding intellectual and developmental disabilities through an outreach titled Advocacy, Support and Knowledge (A.S.K.).
For more information about The Arc Jacksonville, please visit their website or call (904) 355-0155.
LIFE Experience Program
Living Independently Finding Enrichment (LIFE) is a summer program for individuals 18 – 26 years of age to obtain a "sneak preview" and crash course into living independently, located in Jacksonville, Florida. LIFE Experience is located in a gated, luxury apartment community that caters to college/university students. The apartments are conveniently located minutes from UNF, FSCJ, central to shopping centers, beaches, movie theaters, and museums. Participants enjoy the privacy and responsibility of their own private bedroom and bath, in furnished 4 bed/4 bath apartments. Each apartment will have a Housing Mentor to provide live-in supports. Security guards and cameras strive to provide a safe living environment. Apartment amenities include: two swimming pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, ping pong tables, pool tables, fitness center, cable, and wireless internet.
What are the Benefits of the Summer LIFE Experience Program?
Participants obtain a "sneak preview" and crash course into living independently:
- Individualized support (1:5 staff to student ratio)
- Customized training
- Develop friendships
- Enhance decision-making skills
- Enhance social emotional skills (team building, social etiquette, conversation skills, personal boundaries, expressing/identifying emotions, nonverbal communication, and stress management)
- Enhance leisure skills (learn how to occupy free time, plan social events, enhance time management skills, explore interests, gain hobbies, and explore the community)
- Enhance daily living skills (cooking, chores, medication management, hygiene seminars, budgeting, sewing, safety/emergency training, how to do household repairs, transportation training, and decision-making)
Many individuals with developmental disabilities may not know their prospects for living independently. The LIFE Experience provides these individuals with the opportunity to test life away from home and for families to learn about the prospects of how their son or daughter might successfully transition into community-based living.
Which Individuals Meet the Requirements for the Summer LIFE Experience?
- 18-25 with a developmental disability
- Have exhibited a need and a desire for greater independence
- Be able to travel independently with minimal supports
- Socially adaptive and responsible behavior
- Be able to communicate with others
- Be independent in grooming and hygiene routines (Note: Participants needing personal care assistants and any other modifications should call for further information).