Responsibilities of Veterans/Dependents Receiving VA Education Benefits
- If this is your first semester applying for benefits at UNF, you must complete the online UNF Request for Veteran Benefits and Statement of Responsibility. You must also be admitted to the university and have a Veterans Education Benefits application on file with the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- In order to receive benefits, courses must apply toward your program of study as shown on your degree evaluation. Your academic advisor will advise you as to your requirements.
- Understand the consequences of changing your enrollment after your courses have been certified for any given semester. The UNF VA Certifying Official tracks changes to student enrollment weekly, to ensure that you are receiving accurate benefits and/or to avoid a balance due to UNF or the Department of Veterans Affairs, notify the VA Certifying Official immediately of any changes to your schedule.
- Verify your enrollment monthly, if required.
- If you receive Ch 30 (MGIB), 33 1606 (MGIB Selected Reserve), or 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program) you must verify your enrollment each month to ensure the continuation of your benefits.
- Verify with the Regional Processing Office (RPO) by calling 877.823.2378 or using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE)
- Check the information carefully, paying close attention to the dates and hours reflected. If the information is incorrect, contact the UNF VA Certifying Official for correction. If a change is necessary, your payment may be delayed. The VA Regional Processing Office will not process the payment until they have received a Notice of Change in Student Status from the University that reflects the information you have given them. Please contact the VA Certifying Official if you have changed anything prior to sending in or utilizing either the automated system or the internet. Failure to complete and submit monthly verification in a timely fashion may result in delayed checks and possible termination of educational benefits.
- Notify the UNF VA Certifying Official of changes to your record or enrollment. View more specific information on changes here.
Utilization of VA Educational Benefits will
generate a continuing stream of school and VA correspondence either by conventional
mail or email. All correspondence is important and should be read carefully
upon receipt. Any misunderstandings or discrepancies should be brought to the
attention of the UNF VA Certifying Official immediately for clarification or
correction when appropriate. We urge you to create and maintain a file for all
VA and school correspondence. It is also recommended you keep a photocopy of
each check received.
The documents you will receive include a
Certificate of Eligibility, an award letter and changes in student status from
the VA Certifying Official.
Enrollment certifications contain information
about the classes you are taking. They are sent to the VA periodically. After
processed, the VA Regional Processing Office will send you a letter verifying
your enrollment. Look over this letter carefully. Verify personal data such as
address, date of birth, social security number and name. Pay particular
attention to the dates and hours reported. If any information is incorrect,
please notify the UNF VA Certifying Official immediately.
Notices of Change in Student Status are usually
sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs after an initial enrollment
certification has been sent. These forms reflect a change in hours either as a
result of dropping a class, being dropped from a class by the instructor,
withdrawing from courses, or the beginning of a new semester. You should carefully review
this form to verify name, social security number, and hours reported. If the
information appears incorrect, please contact the VA Certifying Official so the
information can be explained or corrected.