Robert Allen Burt Collection
||4 linear ft. (4 boxes)
||Special Collections, Thomas G. Carpenter Library, University of North Florida
||Alphabetical by topic; chronological within folder.
View Container List
Mr. Burt was an African-American photographer active in Jacksonville, Florida from 1970 - 1978. The collection consists of photographs and slides of urban Jacksonville during the same time period.
In 1988, the collection was donated to the Library by Jack Funkhouser.
Access to the Collection
The collection is open for research. To make an appointment to view the collection, contact (904) 620-1533 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Allen Burt Collection, Thomas G. Carpenter Library, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Florida.
Historical / Biographical Note
Little biographical information is available. He was born on May 24, 1904 in Arcadia, Louisiana. Served in the United States Navy from 1942 to 1947. Employed as a truck driver; attended vocational school in aviation mechanics; graduated from Stanton Adult High School, Jacksonville, Florida, 1953.
Scope and Content Note
Photographs show construction sites in downtown Jacksonville, primarily the Independent Life Building (the present Modis Building) in 1972-73 and the Baptist Medical Center building. Other miscellaneous subjects include a Jacksonville River Run (undated), and personal photographs of Mr. Burt. Sizes of the photographs range from three and one-half inches to eleven by fourteen inches.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection:
- Burt, Robert Allen, 1904-
- Independent Life Building (Jacksonville, Fla.)
- Baptist Medical Center (Jacksonville, Fla.)
- African American photographers--Florida--Jacksonville.
- Building--Florida--Jacksonville-Pictorial Works.
- Building sites--Florida--Jacksonville-Pictorial Works.
- Jacksonville (Fla.)--Pictorial Works.
- Jacksonville (Fla.)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial Works.
- Jacksonville (Fla.)--History