Server Hosting Services
DIVISION: Administration and Finance
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology Services
SUBJECT: Server Hosting Services
OBJECTIVE & PURPOSE:
To define the services for hosting servers in ITS central facilities.
OVERVIEW & GUIDELINES:
Information Technology Services (“ITS”) will provide space and associated services to any University department or project (“Customer”) wishing to house servers and related equipment in ITS’ central site facilities, located on the first floor of the Mathews Building. These services are offered subject to the following conditions:
- Servers and related equipment will be housed and related services provided on a space and resource available basis
- Equipment installation will be coordinated by ITS staff on a resource-available basis.
- In the event that ITS approaches capacity in any of the areas listed below, the University will provide funding to expand capacity:
- Floor space
- Network infrastructure
- Electrical infrastructure (including UPS, power conditioning, circuits, panels, etc.)
- Heating and cooling
- Fire suppression
- File backup facilities and associated supplies
- Offsite storage facilities
- All Customer-provided servers and related equipment must be rack-mounted and must fit in ITS’ standard racks. The Customer is responsible for providing rack-mounting hardware.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between ITS and the Customer must be executed and in place prior to the installation of any equipment.
- Requirements for physical access to servers will be negotiated between the Customer’s representative and the ITS Security Manager and will become part of the MOU.
- Services are provided at no cost to the Customer regardless of fund (E&G, Auxiliary, Contracts and Grants, etc.)
- The service includes the following:
- Secured (Intellikey) access
- Security alarm system connected to UPD
- Conditioned and uninterruptable power with diesel generator backup
- Fire suppression system
- Environmentally conditioned environment
- System backup and rotation to offsite storage location
- Limited systems administration assistance from ITS staff
- Requests for this service must be made in writing to the ITS Director or his/her designee and must include at a minimum:
Back to the POLICY, PROCEDURE & GUIDELINES List