Student Affairs International Learning Scholarship
Summer 2018 Applications is Wednesday, March 7, 2018 (on line application will be available from Thursday, February 1st).
Fall 2018 Applications is Wednesday, May 2, 2018 (on line application will be available from Tuesday, April 3rd).
SAILS Info Sessions
International Center Conference Room, 58E/2300
SAILS: A Successful Application
Monday, February 5, 4-5 p.m.
Tuesday, February 13, 10-11 a.m.
Wednesday, February 21, 2-3 p.m.
Thursday, March 1, 1:30-2:30 p.m.
Information and Guidelines
If you want to study
abroad, you can apply for the Student Affairs International Learning
Scholarship (SAILS). This competitive scholarship provides funding for
undergraduate and graduate approved international educational experiences that enrich
academic and individual development. Scholarship recipients may receive either
$1,500 to support a short-term (less than ten weeks) international activity or
$2,500 for a long-term (ten weeks or longer) international activity. Funded by Student Life and Services Fee. Students
awarded TLO funding will be ineligible to apply for SAILS for the same
activity. Preference will be given to applicants who have never received SAILS
or TLO funding for an international activity. Applying for multiple
international activities and terms using one application is not allowed. Only
one application per international activity per term will be considered.
Applications will be reviewed by the SAILS
Committee (comprised of UNF students, faculty, and staff) as per the specified
deadlines. The final awarding is contingent upon the rules and regulations of Financial Aid, since funds will be distributed through the UNF Office of Financial Aid. Awarding is also contingent upon acceptance to an approved international activity.
Please Note: Your approved study abroad experience must be associated with UNF credits during the semester of your international activity.
To be eligible for a SAILS award, the program
must meet one of the following criteria:
- Be a credit bearing activity
- Be part of a degree requirement
- Be credit or course related
To be eligible for a SAILS
award, the applicant must (at the time of application and the time of
- Be a degree-seeking UNF student
- Be in good academic standing
- Be in compliance with all University regulations, rules and codes of conduct governing students on campus
To be eligible for a SAILS
award, the applicant must (at the time of application):
- Be accepted (or have applied) to an approved international activity and have an active file with the UNF International Center (i.e., have discussed international plans with an International Center Study Abroad Advisor).
- Submit one application per term (Summer B, Fall, Spring and Summer A/C)
- Be enrolled at UNF for a minimum of 6 credit hours
The three essay prompts and recommender prompt for SAILS are:
- Essay #1: Explain what you have done and what you are going to do to prepare for this international experience.
- Essay #2: Present the details clearly and completely, of the location, duration, and activity of your planned international program.
- Essay #3: Provide a detailed explanation of the proposed international activity’s impact on your personal, academic, and professional life.
- Recommendation Letter: A
thoughtfully written letter of recommendation from a reference explaining the
potential significance of the international activity on the applicant. Limit
one letter of recommendation per SAILS application.
agree that upon return from the SAILS activity, they must:
- Complete a post-trip survey provided by the International Center regarding the educational/personal outcomes from his/her international experience.
Tips for a Successful SAILS Application
Instructions to Apply for the SAILS
questions and concerns regarding the SAILS, please contact the International Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.