UNF Student Employment

We are delighted that you have chosen to work as part of the UNF team.  As both a student and employee, you are a valuable member of our campus community. We rely heavily on student employees to help provide fast and efficient service to all of our constituents. We hope you enjoy your experience working at UNF and that you have an opportunity to develop work habits, skills, and contacts that will serve you well in your working life.

Types of Student Employment

Student Assistant  

Student Assistant is a non-need based student employment program governed by standard wage and labor laws. Departments hire students are responsible for paying 100 percent of the student’s wage out of their budget.  Please contact the Office of Human Resources at (904) 620-2903 for more information or visit www.unfjobs.org for student jobs postings.

Federal Work Study (FWS) Student Assistant 

Federal Work Study is a need-based federal financial aid program that provides part-time employment to students. To be eligible, students must apply for financial aid via the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov. The Financial Aid Office is responsible for determining and awarding FWS to eligible students.  Students working under the FWS program may work a maximum of 20 hours per week when classes are in session.  Please visit the Federal Work Study site for more information, or visit One-Stop Student Services.

International Students

In accordance with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations and to maintain lawful immigration status, international students on F-1 and J-1 visas may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session (full-time during those periods when school is not in session or during the annual break).  Working more than 20 hours per week may result in serious consequences for the student, such as termination of student status.  International students will also have to obtain a U.S. Social Security Number if they do not already have one.  As there are several factors that relate to authorized international student employment, hiring officials and/or office managers (anyone who makes hiring decisions and submits PAFs) should contact Ruth Lopez, Director of the International Center, for guidance. 

Graduate Assistant 

As Graduate Assistantships are awarded by individual University departments and are subject to employment guidelines as specified by the hiring department and the Graduate School.  Please refer to the Graduate Assistant Handbook for detailed information.  Hiring units and Graduate Assistants are equally responsible for understanding and abiding by these regulations.  All questions should be directed to the Director of the Graduate School at (904) 620-1360.


Payroll Practices and Pay Periods

All new hires must visit the Department of Human Resources (Building 1 - J.J. Daniel Hall, Room 1101) to process for payroll BEFORE beginning work.  

The following information will be needed to process for hire:

  • Photo identification (driver’s license, state ID, school ID, military ID, passport, etc.)
  • Social security card or birth certificate; or passport
  • Voided personal check (for direct deposit)  

All employees are required, at the time of hire, to authorize their paychecks to be directly deposited to their financial institutions. 

Pay is issued on a bi-weekly basis and paystubs may be accessed online through myWings.