First-Year Housing Room Selection for Summer B 2018
Instructions and Important Information
Beginning May 14th, YOU will be in the driver’s seat to select your roommates and room assignment. Your priority will be determined based the date you submitted your Summer B 2018 housing contract broken down into specific Room Selection phases. Please review the information and instructions below carefully.
Preparing for Room Selection
Between now and May 14th, every student with a completed contract for Summer B 2018 will need to ensure they have read and completed the following, as applicable:
- Ensure ALL room and roommate preferences within myHousing are up to date. Any student that chooses not to participate in the Room Selection process will be assigned in order of when their contract was received and based on the availability of their preferences after online room selection begins. Once Room Selection begins, students will NOT be able to update preferences within the system.
- Search AND mutually accept your desired roommate(s). Please note the following:
- A. Both you AND your desired roommate must be in the same Roommate Group in order to be considered as a mutual request.
- B. During the Room Selection process, there are phases in which you will need to ensure you can fill the selected room with accepted roommates otherwise you will not be able to assign yourself to the space.
- i. Example: If you are looking at a double room with two available spaces, but you do not have any confirmed roommates in your roommate group, you will not be able to assign yourself into the space.
- C. Every student can have a maximum of 5 accepted roommates. It is not suggested that each student accepts this many requests.
- D. It is important to be pro-active in accepting or declining roommates within myHousing in order to prevent any issues during the Room Selection process.
- E. Some rooms/suites and/or bed spaces may not be available for assignment during the Room Selection process due to Living-Learning Communities, Theme Housing, ADA needs, etc.
What room types and housing areas are available for first year participants?
For Summer B 2018, the first-year housing areas will be Osprey Cove and Osprey Landing. Within these communities the following room types will be available:
- Osprey Cove Doubles
- Osprey Landing Doubles
**Based on our current number of housing contracts from first-year students, we do not anticipate the need for triple rooms during the Summer B 2018 term.
What are the phases for Room Selection?
This is a great question! First-year residents will be able to assign themselves into available space based on the following phases of priority:
Phase One: Room Selection with Confirmed Roommate ONLY
(Opens at 10 a.m. on Monday, May 14, 2018 and ends 5 p.m. Tuesday, May 15, 2018)
- Only those first-year students who have confirmed roommate in their roommate group in myHousing and have can fill every open bed space within the room may select and finalize their Summer B 2018 housing assignment during this phase. You will receive a Time Ticket to participate in this phase. Time tickets are a designated date and time in which you can begin your Room Selection process in myHousing. Only one student needs to complete this process, as they will be able to assign any roommates within their Roommate Group at the same time. We encourage students to communicate amongst each out to determine who will complete this process.
Please note, if you do not participate in Phase 1 of on-line Room Selection a new Time Ticket will be sent to you and any confirmed roommates, if applicable, in order for you to participate in Phase 2.
Phase Two: Open Room Selection (With or Without Confirmed Roommate)
(Opens at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 and ends at 12 noon on Friday, May 18, 2018)
- Students who did not participate in Phase 1 may select and finalize their Summer B 2018 housing assignment with or without a confirmed roommate based on the Time Ticket they have been assigned. Students do not have to completely fill a room or suite or have a confirmed roommate(s) in order to select and finalize their housing assignment.
Phase Three: Housing and Residence Life Assigns
Please note, where every reasonable effort is made to accommodate student preferences in consideration to priority date and space availability at that time; it is important to note that NO assignment is guaranteed. This includes specific rooms, housing areas, LLC placement, room types, roommate(s), etc. Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to reassign a student at any time during the contract period for any reason, including but not limited to space availability.
- Any first-year students who did not participate in Room Selection during Phase 1 or Phase 2 will be assigned by Housing and Residence Life staff. Housing and Residence Life will utilize the preferences selected in the myHousing portal to complete assignments.
What happens after I have selected my assignment?
There are several important things to note about the Room Selection process, such as:
Summer B 2018 Rent will be assessed on May 18, 2018 and should be visible on student accounts as of May 22, 2018.
- Students should visit myHousing during the applicable Room Selection Phase and time window for that phase as noted above. If a student misses their priority phase, they are not guaranteed their preferred space will be available to them in the next applicable phase.
- During the Room Selection Phases, students will be able to change their previously selected their assignment and choose a new one if they desire. It is important to note that you do so at your own risk. There is no guarantee your previous assignment will still be available if you decide that you want to try to change it back. Changing your assignment at any time is giving up whatever priority you may have had to the space.
- Any students that do not participate in Room Selection will be assigned by Housing and Residence Life based on when their contract was received and the availability of their preferences in the myHousing web portal.
- Assignment and roommate information will be available for students to view in myHousing once an assignment has been made.
Summer B 2018 Rent will be due on June 8, 2018.
Housing and Residence Life is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. anytime the University is open. We can be reached by calling (904)-620-HOME (4663) or e-mailing email@example.com. Feel free to reach out if you need additional assistance.