About Housing and Residence Life
The Department of Housing and Residence Life at the University of North Florida supports the educational mission of the University through the creation of a positive living and learning community with the best facilities, services, programs and customer service for our students. Our responsive staff strive daily to enhance student academic and personal development by fostering a sense of respect for self, others and the community, placing an emphasis on diversity, encouraging personal and civic responsibility, while providing opportunities for leadership development.
The primary purpose of the residence halls is to support the educational mission of the University of North Florida. The Department of Housing and Residence Life actively strives to help each resident grow and develop personally, allowing each resident the opportunity to experience a variety of ideas, personal lifestyles and diversity of human experience. Keep in mind that on-campus residences no longer mean "dormitories" they are living-learning centers for today's students. Your residence hall will be your home, a place to relax and enjoy yourself. It is important, however, that an atmosphere for studying be maintained. You will find living on campus unlike any experience you have had, because you must be cognizant of what you are doing and how it may affect others who are living around you. Your acceptance and respect for the diversity found among your peers and your regard for standards of good citizenship will assure that this positive community is achieved.
Read More: UNF Taylor Leadership Institute.
To enhance the quality of student life and providing a safer campus by holding students accountable for their actions and treating students with consistency, fairness and understanding. We administer hearings, provide educational sanctions to reinforce community standards.
The Department of Housing and Residence Life at the University of North Florida is committed to the value of constructive and continuous dialogue that will drive our efforts to learn and develop new interpretations of diversity and social justice in order to promote an inclusive environment. In creating an inclusive community, Housing and Residence Life staff and students will seek to acknowledge diversity in all of its forms, advocate for student well-being, and educate others about ourselves and the goals of our community.
- We acknowledge that human difference comes in many forms, including: race, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, physical appearance, family structure, spiritual beliefs and customs, political affiliation, veteran status, age, sex, and disability.
- We will be diligent in recruiting, hiring, selecting, promoting, and retaining a competent, open-minded, and diverse staff that reflects the cultural and personal diversity of the University of North Florida and greater Jacksonville community.
- We will strive to maintain a safe and welcoming environment that embodies our ideals of civility and mutual respect. This involves protecting each other’s rights of respectful expression while condemning hateful or victimizing acts. This includes sexual violence and other misconduct as covered by Title IX.
- We will not tolerate or ignore any form of behavior pertaining harassment, intimidation, threats or physical abuse.
- We will not accept ignorance, anger, fear, religious bias, humor, or substance use as an excuse, reason, or rationale for oppressive behavior. We will be deliberate in educating our staff and students to respond proactively to such behavior.
- We believe that meaningful exposure to diverse people and ideas has incomparable educational value. Such experiences are crucial for developing the requisite skills to thrive as a member of a pluralistic society and as a responsible global citizen.
- We will remind students that we are all in a community together and we wish for them to identify biases, assumptions, ridicule and prejudices as they occur and readily challenge these statements that may be obstacles in the way of true community.
- We will provide programs and opportunities for residents to share experiences, values, culture, and beliefs and the opportunity to hear the same of others. We will promote this high level of experiential learning on both an intrapersonal and interpersonal level.
- We will provide communities where social and civic responsibilities are modeled, and respectful discussion about diverse issues is encouraged. Community members will have a comfortable space to express their feelings and opinions, so that every voice is heard.
Any resident witnessing or experiencing any behavior that contradicts the above statement are encouraged to inform the Housing and Residence Life staff, through the Resident Assistants, the Residence Life Coordinators, or by contacting the Housing and Residence Life Office directly at (904) 620-4663. Residents may also contact the UNF Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity at (904) 620-2507. For emergencies, residents should contact the University Police Department at (904) 620-2800 or by calling 911.
Persons with hearing or speech disabilities may call any of the above contact numbers via 711 or Simply State: TTY, ASCII, Voice, VCO-Direct, STS: 711 via Florida Relay
Read More: UNF Equal Opportunity Programs: Opportunity and Diversity Regulations.