Nourishing Bodies, Minds and Spirits
Established in 2009, the UNF Organic Garden began as a student initiative and was made possible by a generous donation from Bruce Ogier. What began with six raised beds next to the Wildlife Sanctuary has grew into fifteen over the spring of 2012. In the Fall of 2012, our little garden expanded into a diverse, one acre production on the north side of campus.
The Frederick and Ophelia Tate Ogier Gardens will serve as a living laboratory for students to explore multiple disciplines. Programs strive to promote student health and wellness through outdoor recreation & experiential learning. UNF will serve as a model for other non-land grant universities incorporating experiential learning on farms or with gardens.
An incredible team of student staff & volunteers maintain the Ogier Gardens. Produce cultivated by student staff will be sold to the Osprey Café and featured at UNF’s Market Day.
Interested in Volunteering
Learn a New Skill, Save Money, Boost Your Resume, Get Exercise!
We are always looking for those interested in learning about gardening while lending a hand to help us grow. All volunteers receive free organic vegetables! For more information about volunteering please e-mail Kevin Anderson at email@example.com
The Ogier Gardens staff invites you to take part in our "growing" project. Campus clubs, organizations and groups can "Adopt a Bed" and grow their own vegetables!
- Planting, weeding, and watering their assigned plot
- Devoting two hours weekly (individually or as a group) to general garden improvements
- Weighing and recording the types of produce harvested
- Self-organization within the club to divide duties
- Receiving hands-on experience in gardening
- Harvesting produce you have helped grow
- Receive assistance and advice from the garden coordinator
- Get exercise, fresh air, and sunshine
- Knowing exactly where your food comes from and how it was grown
Space in the garden is limited so we are accepting only the most dedicated assistants.
Come grow with us!
The Organic Project
Join UNF's Organic Gardening Club known as the Organic Project! Members receive hands-on experience in gardening, construction, marketing and promotion. Contact Kevin Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!