Minutes of Meeting
November 16, 1999
Present: Kavan, Roggio, Urbanski, Tanner, Solano, Slaughter, Sen, Shapiro, DeHaven, Mohr, Mason, Whitehead
Special guest-Kim Luther to discuss approval of 2000/2001 calendar
Academic Affairs Vice Presidents Dr. Dennis Gayles and Dr. Tom Serwatka attended.
Kim Luther presented the committee with several options for revising the future calendar. SGA would like to have the day before Thanksgiving as a "no class" day, because it thinks there is low attendance on that day. This committee decided to put the question to the Association. Kim also said that SGA proposed that spring break be permanently set at the third week in March; FCCJ will agree, since UNF and FCCJ coordinate their breaks anyway, and both schools think that the present dates of the first or second weeks of March are too early. This question will be a second agenda item for December. This committee decided to leave the 4 day break period between the spring and summer semesters. There was extensive discussion about the number of Fridays lost in the fall semester due to the Thanksgiving holiday and the end of class. This committee will look in to changing the beginning date of finals from Friday to Saturday. Steve will talk to the President about changing graduation from Friday night.
STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:
Academic Programs Committee--Sharon DeHaven: there will be 5 agenda items (150 APCs) for the December meeting. Next meeting will be Nov. 30.
Academic Standards Committee--Pali Sen: met with Lynda Lewis and Debra Kaye to discuss the Faculty Association action on Latin Honors. The committee is continuing to discuss a policy on a medical withdrawal.
Academic Technology and Support Services Committee--Bruce Kavan: will bring to this group a recommendation to require personal computer access for all students in Fall 2001 for the December meeting; working on a distance learning policy, which will go to the Colleges for review and input.
Adjunct Affairs Committee--Bob Roggio: grappling with the magnitude of the adjunct problems; looking at situation across the country. The committee thinks that a phased remedy would work best, dividing compensation issues, support issues, and professional development issues into different packages. The committee would like to present proposed solutions to the deans for discussion.
Budget Advisory Committee--Paul Mason: the committee met with Dr. Hopkins and Ricky Arjune on Nov. 8. Dr. Hopkins would like to direct more money to Academic Affairs. The committee will begin to develop a list of budget priorities.
Faculty Affairs Committee--Judy Solano: the committee will meet Nov. 24 and Dec. 10 to develop procedures on how to distribute the market equity money.
Faculty Enhancement Committee--Verna Urbanski: the committee has one agenda item, the mission statement of the Office of Faculty Enhancement
Governmental Relations Committee--Terry Bowen: Terry has a class conflict, reported by Dan Whitehead; met with Gary Harmon to get input for the role of the committee; committee needs faculty input and suggestions.
Nominations and Elections Committee--Diane Tanner: slate accepted by acclamation from the floor of the Faculty Association at the November meeting; Steve needs to appoint a member for the Safety Committee.
Promotion and Tenure Committee--Bill Slaughter: the committee will receive its charge from Dr. Kline at a 1pm meeting on December 14; will receive the dossiers Dec. 23.
Research Committee--Cindy Nyquist-Battie: absent, no report.
Strategic Planning Committee--Donna Mohr: the committee met Nov. 15 to discuss the Areas of focus and Institutional Priorities that UNF uses in its budget cycles. The members nominated several issues for inclusion in these lists, and are collecting input from colleagues and committee chairs. There may be an information item for the next Executive Committee meeting. This committee will not meet in December, but will conduct business by email.
Executive Committee--Kathleen Cohen
Bylaws revision-reduce agenda item times: the committee discussed the implication of the time frame on the meeting, but decided not to change the bylaws, because so far the increased number of committees reporting has not affected the time frame.
Committees need to set meeting times for the spring semester, and if necessary, to reserve Faculty Assn meeting room for spring. Send Pat your committee minutes (which I hope you are recording).
Please remind the faculty to fill out the Annual Campus Climate survey on the web.
Association President--Steve Shapiro: Nick Wilson is asking for designated smoking areas-does this group want to pursue this? The members said no. Steve announced that the BOR meets on campus this Thursday and Friday. Regent Bob Casey will meet with faculty to discuss the issue of parent notification of drug and alcohol use by students on Thursday morning at 10am in the President's conference room.