Gregory A. Ahearn
College of Arts and Sciences
Present Position: Professor of Biology (August 2005), Department of Biology, 4567 St. Johns Bluff Road, S. University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Florida 32224.
1) Professor and Chair (2001-2005), Department of Biology, 4567 St. Johns Bluff Road, S. University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Florida 32224.
2) Professor of Zoology (1976 to July 2001), University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
1) Postdoctoral work (1970 to 1972). August Krogh Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark. Membrane transport phenomena as they are related to nutritional physiology and ion regulation.
Graduate work (1967 to 1970). Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona. Ph.D. June 1970 in environmental physiology of desert beetles.
1) Animal Physiology (PCM 4713C)
2) Principles of Biology (BSC 1005C)
3) Membrane Biology (BCH 6876C)
Recent administrative functions
1) Chair, Department of Biology at UNF from 2001-2005.
2) UNF Radiation Use Committee; UNF Research Committee
3) Member of Graduate Council
4) Graduate Coordinator for Department of Biology Graduate Program from 2006-present.
Recent federal grant funded (2004-2008): “RUI: Heavy metal detoxification in crustaceans.” National Science Foundation, 4-year study, amount received: $578,371/4 yr.
Previous federal grant funded (1999-2003): “The invertebrate 2Na +/1H + antiporter: physiology, molecular biology, and role in heavy metal sequestration.” National Science Foundation exchange program with Dr. Pamela Chavez-Crooker, University of Antofagastra, Chile, amount received: $430,500/4 years.
1. 24 Book chapters or reviews (since 1977)
2. 110 peer-reviewed articles in science journals (since 1968)
3. 121 published abstracts (since 1968)