Thomas Philpott , a London merchant, was granted 10,000 acres west of the southern branch of Maxton Creek that also lay idle until 1782, when sections of it were cleared and developed by Loyalist refugees from Georgia . Governor Tonyn gave deeds to Archibald Brown and James Butler for two 500-acre pieces of the 10,000-acre Philpott tract. The Brown and Butler farmsteads were established in 1782 but abandoned two years later when evacuation of East Florida residents began prior to the takeover by the Spanish colonial government. James McGirt, brother of Daniel McGirt who settled at Ortega on a refugee grant prior to his infamous activities with the "banditti," received a 500-acre parcel on the former Philpott land. Thomas Commander, a refugee from South Carolina , settled a plantation on Maxton's Creek after the evacuation of Charleston . He focused on naval stores, particularly on a tar kiln he had constructed, and on pine lumber he had cut into pre-formed house frames. He also cleared, fenced, and planted provisions fields, and built a house and barn on the property. The house was apparently for an overseer and slaves, as he resided at a house constructed for him at St. Johns Town.