Samuel Andrews, Loyalist Refugee
Samuel Andrews petitioned for a refugee grant and was awarded a tract located one and one-half miles north of the landing place for the Cowford Ferry. Andrews' land was granted was carved from the undeveloped 10,000-acre tract granted to Emannuel Lutterloh, or beyond McCoy's Creek in today's Brooklyn neighborhood. Andrews built two houses and prepared a nine-acre provisions field. When he left East Florida for Nova Scotia, he abandoned two horses and two boats.
The Cowford Ferry landing on the north bank of the St. Johns River extended from Hogan Creek, to the right of this view of the far shore, to approximately where the Acosta Bridge ends today. The Acosta is the middle bridge on this view. Emannual Lutterloh's 10,000-acre tract adjoined downriver. Samuel Andrew's farm was located one and one-half miles north of the Acosta Bridge.
The land shown here on both sides of the St. Johns River was reserved for the Cowford Ferry during the years 1763-1784.