Just south of Rice Creek a 5,000-acre tract was given to London merchant Lancelot Reed, another associate of the Earl of Egmont. This latter property was located immediately south of Gray's Creek (now Rice Creek) and the St. Johns River. The Reed tract apparently lay idle until Governor Tonyn regranted it in 1775 to Lt. Robert Edmonstone, one of the first British soldiers to arrive in St. Augustine. Edmonstone owned additional titles to smaller estates west of St. Augustine, including one of sixteen acres bordering the town planted in vegetables to sell at the town market. He remained in East Florida until 1784. It is not clear if the Rice Creek property was ever developed.
Rice Creek where it enters the St. Johns River north of Palatka.