Lake George to Lake Monroe
South of Lake George, on the east shore of the St. Johns River, only one plantation is known to have been developed during the years that East Florida was a British colony, at least prior to the arrival of thousands of Loyalist refugees in the 1780s. That plantation was part of a 20,000-acre tract granted to Lord John Beresford, located on Lake Beresford. On the west shore of the St. Johns, the Spalding Upper Indian Trade Store was the only European settlement south of Lake George. Under terms of the 1765 Treaty of Fort Picolata agreed to by Creek and Seminole leaders at a congress with Governor James Grant and Indian Superintendent John Stuart, everything south of Lake George on the west coast of the St. Johns River was considered Indian land. Europeans could settle east of the St. River and west as far as the ocean tides flowed. Numerous warrants for land east of the river and south of Lake George were issued in London, and the corresponding tracts were located, surveyed, and registered at the land office in St. Augustine, but with the exception of Beresford Plantation, none are known to have been developed.