Ann and Miller Hunt
Ann and Miller Hill Hunt, the latter a captain in the 56th Regiment of Foot, were granted a 10,000-acre tract located sixteen miles west of St. Augustine on the St. Johns River, and one and one-half miles south of Picolata between today's Watson Island and Magnolia Point. Cultivation of corn, rice and indigo began in April 1768 at Hunt Plantation, with two square miles of agricultural fields cleared and fenced and another square mile enclosed behind wood rails. Six carpenters were employed for twelve months constructing dwellings and other buildings. Indigo cultivation was the economic mainstay early on, supplemented by sales of surplus corn and other provisions crops. Donald Kennedy, a Scot from Edinburgh, was overseer at Hunt Plantation for many years. Sales of tar, pitch, turpentine and timber became the top income producer after the American Revolution began. Hunt Plantation was cultivated continuously from 1768 to 1784. In the last few years of British occupation, Colonel Thomas Brown worked several of his slaves at Hunt Plantation.
See the aerial view on the entry for Fort Picolata for a general location of the tract granted to Ann and Miller Hunt.
T77/8/18 and T77/25/fragments-The Memorial of Ann Hunt.