Goodby's Creek

A 250-acre farm on the shore of today's Goodby's Lake was developed in 1766 by Joseph Goodbee on land granted under family rights. After the accidental drowning of Goodbee, the property passed into the possession of Henry Strachey, a London merchant and absentee owner, who cultivated it until 1784.

Click to view larger image

Joseph Goodbee's 250-acre farm was north of what is today known as Goodby's Creek, or to the left on this photograph. Judging from the survey map below, the swampy wetland of today was more swamp than lake in Goodbee's time.

Bibliographic Information

A Note On Sources

T77/25, fragments.