George Beresford

West of Lakes Dexter and Woodruff a 20,000-acre tract was located for George Beresford, one of three Beresford brothers to receive grants of that size on the St. Johns River. John and his brothers George and William were sons of Sir Marcus Beresford, the first Earl of Tyrone and Baron Decies. This tract was not developed.

Click to view larger image

The east bay of Lake Dexter is in the foreground, Lake Woodruff can be seen in the distance. A 20,000-acre grant to George Beeresford sat idle throughout the British years. William Bartram camped on the north shore of Lake Dexter in 1774. It was here that his harrowing encounter with a rogue alligator occurred.