Cedar Point Creek
Michael Wernel, a South Carolina farmer loyal to King George III during the American Revolution settled on 450 acres of John Tucker's lower St. Johns River tract after refugees were evacuated from Charleston, South Carolina. Wernel located the tract north of the St. Johns River near Cedar Creek. He built a small house, cleared four and one-half acres of land, and planted corn and potatoes. When East Florida was ceded to Spain in 1783, Wernel left the province.
Samuel Mills was granted a 200-acre tract in 1769 at Cedar Point Creek which is today part of the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve. Residential ruins of a two-story structure remain at the site, but they were constructed after Samuel Mills and his son Joseph Mills lived there. Cedar Point is more commonly known for its subsequent owner, William Fitzpatrick, who acquired the property in 1795, after Joseph Mills joined a rebellion against the Spanish colonial government.
Louis Lowry, a refugee from North Carolina who resettled in South Carolina under British troop protection during the American Revolution, came to East Florida at the evacuation of Charleston in 1782. Lowry purchased a lot south of the St. Johns River in St. Johns Town, and built a house of three rooms, measuring twenty-two by sixteen feet with an eight foot wide "shade" running the length of the house on the bluff. He lived at St. Johns Town, but farmed a refugee grant of 200 acres located at Cedar Point. Twelve acres were cleared and planted and a house was constructed by the time Lowry migrated to the Bahamas.
See also Daniel W. Stowell, Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve: Historic Resource Study (Atlanta, GA: National Park Service, Southeast Field Area, October, 1996), 31-33, 79.