Alexander Gray purchased a 3,000-acre tract on May 22, 1770, from Captain Henry Skynner, one of the earliest British settlers. The Skynner grant bordered west on Swimming Pen Creek and north on the south shore of Doctor's Lake. Upper Crisp adjoined to the east. It appears that this estate was developed first by Skynner and expanded by Gray, but Gray died in 1776 and records for his activities are scarce.
Public Record Office, Kew, England, Treasury 77, Box 8, File 7 the Memorial of Alexander Gray.