Skip to Main Content

How to Apply




 To apply you have to be 18 years of age or older. If you are 17 years old, please have your guardian complete the Minor Consent Form


Step 1: Download and complete our application here.

You may complete the application on the computer, sign it electronically, and email it at least 8 weeks prior to the beginning of the semester to Also, you can print it out and mail it to 


English Language Program

University of North Florida

1 UNF Drive, Building 14E, Room 1710

Jacksonville, FL 32224




Step 2: Pay $125 non-refundable application fee and $65 mailing fee. To pay click here.

Step 3: Make a photocopy of the passport ID page for the applicant and any dependents.

 Step 4: Complete the Affidavit of Financial Responsibility here and submit your Bank Statement.

Step 5: Scan the passport photocopies and the Affidavit of Financial Responsibility and either email it or send it by mail with your application.


Step 6: After the  ELP at UNF receives your complete documents, you will get your I-20 by mail and can schedule an appointment at the US Embassy or Consulate. Follow the procedures below for paying the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I-901) fee and scheduling an appointment:

You can find the Form I-901 at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Website . You can complete the form online and submit your payment electronically.

Print your  I-901 receipt immediately.

Make copies of all the documents and receipts submitted to Immigration and Customs Enforcement before your visa appointment.

Make an appointment with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for the F-1 Student Visa.

Bring the following documents to the interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate:


  • Form I-20 signed by the student (you) and the ELP Immigration Specialist;
  • Letter of acceptance from the ELP;
  • Receipt for the I-901 fee;
  • The Affidavit of Financial Responsibility or the Bank Statement;
  • Any other paperwork that may prove your return to your country after the completion of your studies in the U.S., such as proof of future employment, education in your country or strong family ties. 

Step 7: After you receive your F-1 Visa, contact the ELP for help with housing.



If you are in the United States and transferring from another program, complete the steps 1 through 5 and fill out the Transfer Form. Have the International Student Advisor at your current school complete the Transfer Form and send it in with your application materials to the ELP office by email or regular mail

Important: All information provided by students must be accurate. Please TYPE your information on the application or WRITE clearly. 





All F-1 students must have a Medical Health Insurance before attending ELP classes. You can purchase your insurance before you come to the United States, or your will be asked to buy coverage upon your arrival to the English Language Program. For information regarding the Medical Health Insurance, please click here.




If you postpone your arrival to the U.S. more than once, you will have to re-submit your application again and pay a new application fee of $125 and a new mailing fee of $65.