Notification of Serious Illness/Death of a Student
The Office of the Dean of Students should be informed in the event of a student’s serious illness, injury or death.
The Office of the Dean of Students will implement a set of procedures that have been developed in order to ease the burden on family members who are acting on behalf of the student when the student is unable to do so. In addition, these procedures help to ensure a smooth process during the many transactions that are required when a student suddenly departs the University.
When the University is notified that a student dies, becomes seriously ill or is seriously injured, the Office of the Dean of Students will ensure that the following steps are taken:
- Speaks with the family in response to the requests of the family member.
- Verifies the person’s full name and identity.
- Notifies any resource on campus to which the family has been referred.
- Notifies the appropriate offices and individuals to fulfill their responsibilities according to the established protocol.
- In the case of a prolonged illness or significant injury, contacts the student’s instructors to determine the student’s ability to successfully complete the course or to obtain a grade of Incomplete. If neither is possible, to work with the family to request a medical withdrawal.
- Follows up with the family on any matters where further contact is necessary.
Notification of a student’s serious injury, illness or death should be made to the Office of the Dean of Students.