Student Financial Services Office Policies: Return of Title IV Funds
Return of Title IV (Federal) Aid:
- Students who receive Federal financial aid and withdraw (either officially or unofficially) from ALL classes before completing more than 60 percent of the semester will have a percentage of their Title IV funds returned, according to federal regulations. UNF will calculate any amounts disbursed that must be returned to the Title IV programs.
- Your withdrawal date will be the date you began UNF’s official withdrawal process.
- If you stop attending without officially withdrawing, the last documented date of attendance will be the withdrawal date.
- If all grades are a combination of F, W (withdrawal) and I (incomplete) your professors will be asked to report the last date of attendance. Based on this information, you may be required to repay the "unearned" portion of your federal aid.
- If your grades were all F or I and you never attended, you will be required to pay back the full amount.
- If it is determined that you have received excess funds, any “unearned” portion will be returned to the United States Department of Education, resulting in a balance owed to UNF in the amount of those excess funds.
- This amount will be placed on accounts receivable, prohibiting any registration activity, and the receipt of academic transcripts or diplomas until these funds are repaid.
- If these funds are not paid, UNF will turn the charge over to a collection agency.
Federal regulations require Title IV aid to be refunded in the following order:
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
- Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans
- Federal Direct PLUS Loans (for parents)
- Federal Pell Grants
- Federal Academic Competitiveness Grants (ACG)
- National SMART Grants
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants
- Federal TEACH Grant
- You may also be required to repay other federal, state, institutional, or private student financial aid programs based on the terms and conditions associated with those programs.
- UNF is required to return to the applicable federal program account the unearned percentage of institutional charges (tuition, fees, on-campus housing). UNF may bill you for any funds returned on your behalf, including loan funds.
- UNF’s tuition refund policy is separate from the federal requirement to return unearned aid. Whether or not you receive a tuition/fee refund has no bearing on the amount you must repay under this formula.
For additional information, questions or concerns, please contact us.