Commission on Diversity and Inclusion
November 14, 2017 - 2:00 p.m.
Student Union, Ballroom A
Item 1 Call to Order and Welcome to New Members
Chair Serwatka will call the meeting to order and welcome new members.
- Curtis Phills - Assistant Professor, Psychology
- Thomas Beaucham - President, Student Government
- Ruth Lopez - Director of the International Center
The Commission will review and approve the minutes from the last meeting held on
September 21, 2017.
Item 3 Update on CODI's Difference Appreciation Initiative
Alison Cruess will update members on progress being made on the Difference
- Tracking chart
- Ascending to Fuller Equity workshop (Serwatka/COEHS - Oct. 20)
- Building a Culturally Responsive University (Dawkins - Nov. 3)
- Courageous Conversations: Intersection and the Isms (Cruess - Nov. 30)
- CODI Conversations
Item 4 Minority Faculty Recruitment - McKnight and SREB Conferences
Chair Dawkins will update members on minority the faculty recruitment conferences.
October 13-15, 2017
2017 Participants: Dr. Mark Dawkins, Dr. Emma Apatu
36 candidate names collected
October 26-29, 2017
2017 Participants: Dr. Emma Apatu, Ms. Doretta Leung, Ms. Cinda Catchings
Item 5 Update on the 2017 HEED Award Application
Alison Cruess will discuss the use of an online form for data collection.
Item 6 Campus Climate Survey
Dr. Edythe Abdullah will provide a brief update on the campus climate survey.
Item 7 CODI's Next Meeting Date - February 2018
Alison Cruess will discuss the use of a doodle poll for selecting the date/time for the
February and April CODI meetings.
Item 8 Announcements for the Commission
CODI members will share information from their areas relating to diversity, inclusion
- Dr. Jennifer Lieberman and Dr. Laura Heffernan will talk about teaching
efforts regarding diversity & inclusion.
- Humanities Initiative - Chair Serwatka will speak about the Humanities Initiative, a student essay competition for this year.
- The College of Arts and Sciences is creating a series of panel discussions focused on race, diversity, and inclusivity. These events will begin this spring.
Item 9 CODI Conversations
Sheila Spivey, director, Department of Diversity Initiatives, will lead a discussion
on how are we engaging the campus community in embracing diversity.
Item 10 Adjournment
Chair Dawkins will adjourn the meeting.